• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler Confirmation Please, Co. Armagh, N Ireland (1 Viewer)

Clarke Robinson

Hi Again

Being home in Co, Armagh, N Ireland for a few days I'm spending most of my time taking pictures of our garden birds. Lovely variety this August, including Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Goldcrest, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, 1 million House Sparrows, Collared Dove, lots of Juveniles etc. Really lovely time.

Anyway, among all the usual suspects, yesterday something more unusual (for our garden anyway) decided to pay a fleeting visit, and I managed to get a few snaps off, though I sadly missed a close-up opportunity as I was panicking with focusing the camera (nothing new there when I see something unusual!).

I've narrowed it down to a warbler of some sort, my gut feeling is Willow Warbler, but potentially a Chiffchaff. I ruled out Wood Warbler as I don't think there are many in N Ireland and it was a little smaller than say a Great Tit for example, which possibly rules out Garden Warbler too.

So, is it a Willow Warbler?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Attachments

• unknown 1.jpg
    unknown 1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 100
  • unknown 2.jpg
    unknown 2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 124
Nice long primary projection, paleish legs (though there is overlap on this feature), facial pattern etc...Willow Warbler for me also.

Nice juvenile Willow Warbler in bright light - well caught. They don't stay in one place for long and when they do it's usually behind cover of some sort.

Great info Graham. I watched him preen for a little while in a fir tree (the cover you mentioned), then finally he landed on our gate for just 10-15 seconds at most. I was lucky to get anything at all :) I leave for London again today so this afternoon is my last shot at the local Irish birds, let's hope mummy and daddy decide to make an appearance ;) I won't hold my breath though lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back