• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keeping blackbirds away (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

How do you keep blackbids away from babybirds? we have 2 bird houses, and two birdparents were feeding their babies this morning and then a blackbird came, and then all of a sudden no more bird parents where their. I think they were House Sparrow's. I think the blackbirds (not crows') took away or ate the baby birds. Any suggestion on how to keep away the blackbirds? Thank you.

Joyce in Oregon

Hi Joyce,

I think the way you need to approach this is by deciding what the real problem is.

Forgive me, I know I am going to sound sanctimonious in writing, but believe me I am being sincere in message!

Is the problem that the blackbirds may be taking the baby birds, or that you don't like the fact that the blackbirds may be taking the baby birds?

I know that might come across as a bit horrid, but I think it is an important distinction, because it might help determine what you what to do.

I understand it is very easy to think of your garden or yard visitors as "your" birds - I do it myself - but they are no more yours than you are "their" humans.

The nesting birds have taking advantage of birdhouse you have put up, and that, along with many other factors, will have helped them choose their nesting site.

It's not very nice to see (or be aware of) animals taking other animals as food, but it happens, and it is perfectly natural. It may be, that all things considered, the nesting birds have decided that even on the chance that the blackbirds might take their young, that your birdhouse is the best chance they have of successfully raising a brood.

That said, if the nest hole is small enough, then the young are probably as safe inside your birdhouse as they would be anywhere. Just because you don't see the parents coming and going, doesn't mean they are not. Also if the blackbirds are in the habit of taking nestlings, then it will happen as much in the wild, and not because of your birdhouse.

That in turn said, a well stocked bird table may go some way to reduce the blackbird's requirement to take smaller nestlings, and may be something positive that you can do.

Now, I am by no means an expert, but other than the above, I think you can do nothing else this breeding season.

If you were to move the birdhouse, or put some kind of guard over it, then the disturbance may well be just as disasterous as you fear the blackbird's interference may be.

In you position, I would wait a year and see what develops, then is necessary make any changes in time for next year.

Anyway, whatever you decide, if you can live with the thought that the blackbirds may be taking the nestlings, then you may well have the breeding birds and the blackbirds both as garden visitors.

If you really do want to discourage the blackbirds, then you might lose them altogether, as they go off in search of another place to feed.

But whatever you decide, I hope you ultimately get what you want, and I hope I have gone some way towards helping you achieve that, without sounding too nasty! :eek!:

With luck, someone else will be along soon with some more advice.

By the way though... you say "House Sparrows". Do you mean our European House Sparrows, because if you do, you seem to be unusual amongst our American members in welcoming this little "invader"!!!

All the best.

I believe American blackbirds are different from our delightful European blackbird. Here in the UK magpies, jackdaws etc take nestlings and eggs. The RSPB suggest :

"You can protect songbird nests with two-inch mesh wire netting. For hole-nesting birds, or open nest boxes, simply fix the netting a foot or so around and over the box ensuring that it is at least one foot away from the entrance hole and cannot be forced flat. "

The best time to protect a nest is probably during incubation and certainly as soon as the eggs hatch. Many small birds may desert a nest if disturbed during building; only the most severe upheaval will cause a bird to desert a nest with young in it. Nests are also more vulnerable once the young have hatched."

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/magpies/protecting.asp

This advice sounds a bit tricky so maybe instead you want to follow Birdman's advice.

The Birdman
By the way though... you say "House Sparrows". Do you mean our European House Sparrows, because if you do, you seem to be unusual amongst our American members in welcoming this little "invader"!!![/
]

i'm very new to birding and so when I looked in my Birds of Oregon field guide book it said "House Sparrow" I'm sure your right about it being a european. I'm just not an expert like you are in the knowledge yet. So yes I am unusual. So the next time you think someone is unusual just think that they may be a new birder and just may need some help and just may not know their way around quit yet in the birding world. Thank you for your help and clear explanation. it is appreciated.

THank you for your help and teaching.
Joyce

PS, we also learned that if you take off the perches that will hopefully keep the bigger birds away like the blackbirds/crows and bigger birds away.

Oh and the only reason why I said

I understand it is very easy to think of your garden or yard visitors as "your" birds - I do it myself - but they are no more yours than you are "their" humans[

is because we put them up ourselv and made them, but you are right they now belong to the birds and are their's for life and to do with as they please.

Thanks again, Joyce

Last edited:
The best time to protect a nest is probably during incubation and certainly as soon as the eggs hatch. Many small birds may desert a nest if disturbed during building; only the most severe upheaval will cause a bird to desert a nest with young in it. Nests are also more vulnerable once the young have hatched."

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back