• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird, Co. Armagh, NI (1 Viewer)

Clarke Robinson

Hi Everyone

I'm home for a few days in Northern Ireland and having some fun taking the local garden birds (in between lots of rain showers). This morning I took a few shots of this blackbird with an unusual head. Seems to me like a young bird, and possibly it's head is last to develop? Is this normal?

TIA for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 104
Yup, it's a juvenile blackbird that is moulting into first-winter male plumage (note the wings are brownish, a feature of first-winter males). Passerines moult the head last, so you got it spot on - the head is the last thing to moult.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back