• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Results from colour-ring reading (1 Viewer)

Colour ringed Black-headed Gull red ring 3.7. I somehow overlooked posting this one. It's been around since at least mid-December. I first photographed it on 17th December 2011.

Ringed Arnhem 30-11-2009.

Ringing data
Arnhem***.3691859***R-37***Kokmeeuw***Larus ridibundus
***Leeftijd & geslacht* :***1 kj / 1 cy***man / male
***Ringdatum**** * *: ***30-11-2009
***Ringplaats**** * *: ***amsterdam, oosterpark***5221.37***N***455.17***E
***Ringer******* * *: ***Frank Majoor
***Opmerkingen**** * *:
Recoveries
Melddatum***Meldplaats******************Melder
1-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Dennis Seijts
4-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
7-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Hannah Jansen
10-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
18-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
23-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
24-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
28-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Rob Voesten
29-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
31-12-2009***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
9-1-2010***amsterdam, artis***5.222,00***N***454,51***E***kleurring afgelezen***Willem van der Waal
11-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
12-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
19-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
20-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Guus van Duin
23-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
24-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Willem van der Waal
25-2-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Frank Majoor
10-3-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Jan Zorgdrager
12-3-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
13-3-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Frank Majoor
16-3-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
17-3-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
6-4-2010***amsterdam, oosterpark***5.221,37***N***455,17***E***kleurring afgelezen***Ruud Altenburg
17-12-2011***seaton carew, hartlepool, ENGELAND***5.439,34***N***111,12***W***kleurring afgelezen***Ian Forrest

It was still present last Friday as was the Med. Gull PAU2.

Attachments

• IMG_3409a.jpg
    IMG_3409a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 185
Had a colour ringed med gull at Amble yesterday and tracked it down via cr-birding. Originally ringed in Serbia as a breeding adult in 2007 it seems to have alternated between Hungary and Northumberland ever since. Interestingly it hasn't been reported from Serbia since its original ringing.

Attachments

• 6776366383_c1bcca00d5_z.jpg
    6776366383_c1bcca00d5_z.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Had a colour ringed med gull at Amble yesterday and tracked it down via cr-birding. Originally ringed in Serbia as a breeding adult in 2007 it seems to have alternated between Hungary and Northumberland ever since. Interestingly it hasn't been reported from Serbia since its original ringing.

What was the code on this bird as I saw a mystery bird (-J13) at Men-Aver beach, Cornwall, the other week and thought Serbian, but wasn't sure. Might chase it up...

Has anyone seen cr Med Gull 'WHITE E186' at Minsmere (or anywhere else) recently? It was present on the reserve in May 2011, ringed as a pullus in Belgium in June 2009...

James

Six more gull rings read today on the south side of the Thames - I'm pretty sure two locally, two from Sussex, one from Suffolk and a LBBG with a blue ring (with pinkish writing) on its right leg - http://rothandb.blogspot.com/2012/02/bit-of-colour.html. Anyone know where this may be from? Perhaps it's Belgian from the research I've done.

Also a colour-ringed Black-tailed Godwit that I'm pretty sure is from a Suffolk ringing project.

Cheers and enjoy the snow
Rich
http://rothandb.blogspot.com/

I managed to read a Common Gull in Edinburgh today (left leg white ring black lettering JZE0). It turns out it was ringed as a chick in Norway 5 years ago but was most recently seen in Stavanger in Norway on Thursday! Presumably the cold weather on the continent has pushed it over the North Sea in the last couple of days.

At same site 2 other Norwegian Common Gulls (partial reads only) and a Norwegian Black-headed Gull (right JHR4) that has been around for the last couple of weeks at least.

Geoff

Last edited:
Have just received the original ringing information for a Pink-footed goose whose neck-collar I read last thursday in Berwickshire (metallic collar 'IIL'):

It was originally ringed as an adult male in N-central Iceland in July 2000 and has, between now and then, been sighted in the UK several times, including Lincolnshire, Lancashire and Moray in the space of two months in 2001. Within Scotland it has also been seen in Perth & Kinross and Angus. This pinkfoot neck-collar program is a project run by the WWT and Icelandic ringing-scheme. Over the moon about this one!

PS - a BTO coot colour-ringing scheme seems to be kicking off across the UK right now. Keep an eye out even at the local duck ponds. So far I've found four birds, all at the place they were originally ringed as it turned out.

I entered into correspondence with the North Thames Gull Group yesterday regarding one of their birds I had seen on the Norfolk coast during the day. I emailed them at 10:22pm, I had a reply detailing the birds history at 10:31pm! Wow! Thanks and well done I replied! But it seems that was nothing. The person I was dealing with told me he'd received a text the previous day from a member of the NTGG who was watching one of their birds in the Western Sahara and to top it all he texted back the birds life history WHILST THE OTHER GUY WAS STILL WATCHING THE BIRD!!! Terrific stuff - BTO take note! ;)

James - still waiting for 4 Coot recoveries from early January ;)

I have been looking for BH Gull white ring "T73" which I have seen and photographed 4 times, tried various suggestions with as yet no replies.
Brian

I've seen T73 in January too. Whitley Bay Links by any chance? Couldn't believe my first wander around my new neighbourhood got me a colour ring. Have also checked CR and reported to Euring and also had nothing. My thoughts are that T73 and the other above-mentioned white-ring/1 letter/2 numbers BH gull are both part of a project whose data has not been centrally received yet and therefore our sightings can't yet be passed on to them or their data back to us. Patience is a virtue I guess.

I've seen T73 in January too. Whitley Bay Links by any chance? Couldn't believe my first wander around my new neighbourhood got me a colour ring. Have also checked CR and reported to Euring and also had nothing. My thoughts are that T73 and the other above-mentioned white-ring/1 letter/2 numbers BH gull are both part of a project whose data has not been centrally received yet and therefore our sightings can't yet be passed on to them or their data back to us. Patience is a virtue I guess.
Hi

I suspect part of the problem with T73 is that the colour ring could be damaged, the colour ringing web site www.cr-birding.org doesn't have a project registered which matches this. This site has been totally re-built over recent months and I think but am not sure that all Black-headed Gull projects have been added. Occaisionally colour rings break and can lose a character (or more) - is there any evidence of breakage on the photos?

The European co-ordinator for small gull colour ringing projects is Kjeld Pedersen : ktpedersen AT snm.ku.dk OR ktpedersen AT mail.dk and all projects should be registered with him so it's probably worth contacting him directly.

Cheers

Tim

No recollection of it looking like there'd been loss of a character from the code, though I accept it as a slim possibility. Searching CR I'd say that it's from one of two projects: KT Pedersen's own project in Denmark or the Polish project run by Ciach et al. It'll be a shame if the last number's missing but it narrows it down to a max of 10 individuals, possibly ringed in a single session! Thanks for the inspiration Tim. Brian I'll PM you.

Mediterranean Gull red darvic PEE7 was seen today at Newburn Bridge, Hartlepool.

Info received from a friend who saw the same bird at Redcar in 2007. It was ringed at Rheinau-Freistett in the Upper Rhine Valley, Germany, as a chick on 15th May 1999. Though meanwhile it may have carried another colour ring (CY5) that was replaced. That ring was sighted several times in 2004 at Marske on 31st July, 1st August and 9th Oct.

I've reported it to the BTO/Euring so they may get back to me at some point.

I've just sent details off of a med gull with red ring with white 8P4 that I saw on the patch last november that I'd forgotten about. Have also sent details of a recent black-tailed godwit YRL GYG which looking at CR-Birding comes from a ringing scheme nearby on the River Alde.

A regular returning herring gull KVL has also been present lately - one from Orfordness - along with a long-staying 2nd winter herring gull YYV that still occasionally begs for food from adults!

Have also updated my colour-ringed page on my patch website - in signature below (still to add some more photos and add an avocet record).

Gi

The first of Our Avocets returned on 29th February. Amongst them yesterday was a single colour ringed Avocet on Greenabella Marsh.

Left tibia - yellow over blue. Right tibia - lime over orange.

Ringed as pullus by Tees Ringing Group on Greenabella Marsh on 31st May 2010.

Attachments

• IMG_2846a.jpg
    IMG_2846a.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 170
Three Leics/Rutland gull ring reading sessions in the last three days at Albert Village, Rutland Water and Shawell have produced seven LBBs (six British ringed as far as I know, if you include Guernsey as Britain, and one untraced) five Black-headed Gulls (Denmark, two Poland, Italy, Cotswold WP) and three Common Gulls (two Germany and one Estonia).

Not a bad selection. So far this year three of us have had a total of 34 colour-ringed LBBs in the county plus 28 other gulls, and someone else passed me a nice record of a c-r Polish Caspian Gull at Rutland Water.

Steve

The third colour ringed Med. Gull we've had this winter.

Mediterranean Gull Larus melanocephalus
Ring Number: 5350316 Helgoland AHEL ringed June 14 2008 pullus
Ringing Place: Pionierinsel Lühe / Landkreis Stade / Niedersachsen / Germany / 53° 35' N 09° 36' E

Datum Beobachtungsort Genauer Beobachter Koordinaten Land Trupp
Finding Date Finding place County Finder Coordinates Country Flock

07 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire Tim MacKrill 52 33 N -0 41 W UK AHLA as well
07 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire John Wright UK
08 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire Tim MacKrill UK AHLA as well
08 04 10 Rutland Water Nature Reserve Leicestershire John Wright UK
25 07 10 Blythburgh Suffolk Jon Gibbs 52 19 N 01 35 E UK 32
01 03 12 Seaton Carew, Hartlepool Durham David Harrison 54 40 N -1 11 W UK

Many thanks for the colour-ring sighting of "RN GW" which was ringed as an adult on 29th August 2000 at Seal Sands.
Last seen in December 2009 on Seaton Common, a site it has regularly frequented over high water in the past, where you recorded it in March 2008. In autumn, the bird has been recorded at low tide feeding on Bran Sands and Seal Sands. There has been no winter records of this bird away from Seaton Common to date.

On 24 February 2012 - a colour ringed Curlew was present on Seaton Common, Seaton Carew.

Left tibia – red above black. Left tarsus – large white

Right tibia –dark green above white

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back