• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where have the birds gone? (1 Viewer)

diptera

moved in to new house in jan this year, started feeding, birds eventually came, house sparrows a plenty watched them through 2 broods. starlings, blackbirds, occasional blue/great tit, dunnocks, wood/feral pigeons, magpies, golfinches, grey wagtail even a visit from a chiff chaff, fantastic.

Now we have nothing, all gone besides magpie, the odd wood pigeon, magpies and just lately a pair of great tits. The sparrows seem to have evacuated the whole street.

We did have a rat which I have exterminated and the neighbours aren't happy about us feeding the birds as one side cant stand pigeon's (VERMIN!) and the other side said my pigeons have raided his greenhouse and the birds create a mess upon the fence.
We have also seen a cat but it has always been about (I throw stones at it).
Could it be rats, cats, neighbours or migration?

It seems to happen every year around this time... I had very few birds coming to the garden for 3-4 weeks, but they started to return yesterday. First Blackbird, Coal Tit and Blue Tit for weeks. House Sparrow numbers were well down too, but seem to be drifting back again, along with some Chaffinches.

There's usually plenty of food for them in the wider countryside through late summer and autumn.

many thanks for reply's, I will make a note of it for next year and see when they leave and arrive.
We all need a holiday, the birds more than us after rearing two broods of screaming chicks FEED ME FEED ME!!!
Thanks again, Glenn

Same here, very little activity on my feeders for the last two or three weeks. Plenty of birds in and around the fields behind my house so they obviously are finding plenty of food without needing to come into the garden. No doubt activity will pick up as and when food is more difficult to find away from the feeders.

They are all with me! My garden is inundated with chaffinches, great tits, blue tits, coal tits, long tailed tits, jays, collared doves, robins, wood pigeons, dunnocks, goldfinches and greenfinches as well as a few jackdaws and magpies. A few blackbirds have reappeared. The feeders are having to be refilled daily (and I have a lot of feeders!).

They will be back I've not seen them at the feeders but they've obviously been because they were empty.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back