• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Flash ring (1 Viewer)

If you use a ring flash it will need to be attached to a filter ring on your camera. I believe there is a 58mm adaptor. However, it will need to be very light in weight so as not to upset/break the mechanics of your lens. For instance my mecablitz weighs 190 gm and feels heavy on an slr.

Most macro lighting set ups I have seen for bridge/superzoom cameras involve small slave units not directly mounted on the lens. You may find that a pair of straight flash brackets can be mounted to your camera angled forward with small slaves angled to light the subject. Almost certainly you will need additional diffusion to avoid overlighting the subject. Olympus make a double flash bracket (no flash) for about £240, I think it should be possible to buy two ordinary straights that will link on the tripod mount for about £12!

This is now long enough for someone to reply saying there is a far simpler solution!

Not sure if this is what you want as it is not a flash as such. Its a ring light and permanently on but good for macro. It fits my SX40 so should fit the 50 too. The actual unit is very light and it has a battery pack which fits to the base of your camera with an extra thread if needed to be fitted to a tripod. About £25-£30 on ebay.

Regards

John

Attachments

• ringflash.jpg
    ringflash.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 164
I just saw a friend's shot of the full moon at maximum telescope- unbelievable, hand held, too. The definition of the craters were something but seeing the jagged edge of mountains really stunned me. I would like to see a larger sensor to match its RAW capability, but the price is certainly right.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back