• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cinnamon Teal on the Western Isles, Friday May 14th (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
News of a drake Cinnamon Teal on Loch Tuamister on the Western Isles, surely the most likely location for a genuine vagrant of this species (if ever there is going to be one in the UK), prompted me to book a day trip on Friday May 14th departing from Inverness Airport.

Initially I'd dismissed this occurence as just a curious record of a likely escape and recalled a fine drake Cinnamon Teal I'd seen with a group of Teal in Essex about five years ago. However, having deliberated the situation with a more open mind, the balance of probability of it being as good a candidate for a wild bird as there is likely to be was inescapable - recent sightings of American Coot, Redhead, American Wigeon and Green-Winged Teals, plus the Hooded Merganser of a few years ago, seemed ample evidence to me of the Western Isles to attract American vagrants. The trip was a 'go' situation!

Hurried phone calls to get a flight were made at 7pm Thursday evening followed by an overnight drive to Inverness. With news that the bird was still present I jetted off into the wide blue yonder only to touch down in the howling winds and driving rain in Stornoway.

The hire car was waiting for me (planning in advance is always worthwhile) and I drove across ten miles of peat bog being buffeted by the wind and navigating using the O.S. Map hastly borrowed from the library the night before (remember what I said about planning just now?).

Finally Loch Tuamister was located after having run the gauntlet of numerous indecipherable Gaelic road signs. I scanned the water of this shallow loch nestling in a valley and surrounded by fences. No sign! Disaster. No ducks - nothing.

Had a previous visitor tested the Teal's approachibility by stomping down to the water's edge I asked myself? I recalled the wildfowl hunting that had made the Hooded Merganser so unpredictable a few years ago. Was it 'open' season on wildfowl in May?

I looked again - a flash of orange was moving through the reeds by the shoreline. Surely it must be....yes, it was - the drake Cinnamon Teal. Taken aback by the extraordinary beauty of this piece of transatlantic avifauna (that is what a 'twitcher' should write isn't it?) I spent half an hour watching it ( on and off - I'm not that much of an anorak) and scanned the loch to see the vast array of Hebridean birds gathered at its shores - alright, it was one Lapwing.

I then went to see the prehistoric site at Callanish - archaeology is an interest of mine too by the way.

Returning to the airport and boarding the 4pm flight to Inverness I began to debate in my mind whether the undeniably favourable location, lack of clipped wings and lack of ring - albeit the last two were also shown by the Essex bird - would convince someone who enthusiastically labels rare wildfowl as 'plastic' to take a step back and to at least give the benefit of the doubt to this individual. Realising that I was too weary to continue this hypothetical debate I summed it up with 'you pay your money and you take your choice' - and since I'd done both I shut my eyes, thought no more about it and went to sleep.

I've attached a few photos of this bird which, like the Hooded Merganser before it, has effectively released those keen enough to see it from the need to travel throughout the UK collecting Cinnamon Teal 'insurance policies' in the hope of one coming up trumps. Mind you, if I'd seen the Essex individual in October, I needn't have seen this one at all - need I? I sense another debate coming on.....must dash.

Best wishes,
Lancey

Attachments

• cinnamon.jpg
    cinnamon.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 183
  • cinnamon2.jpg
    cinnamon2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 193
Nice one Lancey!

Tick it!!!

I'm going myself on Tuesday and I don't care what anyone says. If you tick one yank duck then you should tick em all. There is no point debating about which is wild and which isn't - the fact is no-one will ever know. So if you've got Bufflehead, Lesser Scaup, Redhead, Canvasback, Blue Winged Teal etc... then there is not one valid reason I've heard yet for not putting this Teal on.

Tom.

Western Isles Information

Tom,
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. While the cynics out there are shaking their heads and condemning our lack of inflexibility as a sad reflection of how low the birding scene has sunk (and being equally thankful they'd suppressed any occurences of Cinnamon Teal on their local patches lest an invasion of ardent fanatics might take place), I can only wish you the best of luck for being interested enough ( or misguided enough as some might say) to travel such a distance to try to see it.

In an effort to redeem any credibility I may have had, I can hereby say, hand on heart, I didn't tick the Chiloe Wigeon at Oare Marshes in Kent a month ago, nor the Wood Duck I saw at Ham Road gravel pits during the winter - I'd already seen the Isles of Scilly bird on Tresco some years ago now so I didn't need to!

Tom ( or anyone else planning the trip who hasn't 'come out of the closet' yet) if you need any information about how to find the place or hire car info just let me know and I'll be pleased to help. Why I should encourage such behaviour though is quite beyond me!

Best wishes,
Lancey

tom mckinney said:
Nice one Lancey!
So if you've got Bufflehead, Lesser Scaup, Redhead, Canvasback, Blue Winged Teal etc... then there is not one valid reason I've heard yet for not putting this Teal on.
Tom.

How's about the fact that has a much more western distribution in America than those mentionned and I believe it is rare in some eastern states. Not to say it's not wild as western species have been to Europe, but its likelihood of being wild is less than those other species mentionned. Also it is a common bird in wildfowl collections. I have seen 3 in the 'wild' in the last 15 years, which nobody twitched!!

Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how many reports of Cinammon teal there were in Europe in April (per recent Birding World). Cant remember the details but there were a lot.

It is still worth seeing, if only to have another excuse to visit the Hebridies!

I suppose I could have been wrong.
But, the thing is, bleak and wild places, crappy photos (no offence Lancey) always make escapes look more tickable.

good time to go to the hebs

might even be worth a peek at that duck thingy there if you go

I think i can recall seeing them in the Peruvian Andes (not trying to be clever and one-up here) - and it is very similar there to the hebs in many ways..........

so obviously gen then.......!

Tim
Keepin Norwich Tidy and You knows it

Periwinkle said:
How's about the fact that has a much more western distribution in America than those mentionned and I believe it is rare in some eastern states.

Probably way more regular than Varied Thrush though!

It is indeed a great time to go to the Hebs... I'm almost tempted... though not by a duck!

Periwinkle said:
Incidentally, has anyone else noticed how many reports of Cinammon teal there were in Europe in April (per recent Birding World). Cant remember the details but there were a lot.

It is still worth seeing, if only to have another excuse to visit the Hebridies!

It's a tough one as there certainly was a short spell of westerly winds around the time it arrived. However just take a look at where most other rare birds in the UK at the time had originated from.......unfortunately it is the near continent, the weather during the days before was perfect for sweeping birds north from the continent with the arrival of an extremely warm air mass off Europe. Another yank appearing would have given it hope but my thoughts now are that more than likely it is one of these European birds wandering north. If it was an autumn bird turning up after a succession of deep lows sweeping across the pond maybe, but I can't see any weather patterns previous to it's arrival strong enough to bring it over here........the prevailing winds had been southerly or easterly for some time.
As you can see from the map, there was a lovely flow of air up from Spain and the Bay of Biscay along western Britain......

JP

Attachments

• Rtavn00220040511.gif
    Rtavn00220040511.gif
    69.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Isn't the theory then that it arrived undetected last autumn in good transatlantic conditions and is now moving north in good conditions for that.
3:)

brianhstone said:
Isn't the theory then that it arrived undetected last autumn in good transatlantic conditions and is now moving north in good conditions for that.
3:)

Yep, quite possibly and no way of ever knowing. I just think that it's recent origin is certainly NOT trans-atlantic which makes it's acceptance even more uncertain due to the good number of dodgy Cin Teals present in Europe currently.

JP

Tim Allwood said:
well put John

may be some flak coming your way though.....

and anyway.....as usual, no one'll ever know.

It will take a ringed US bird shot by some ignorant (of its identity) Wildfowler to get CT on the UK list!

Here's a bit of flak . . . ;)

The map shows a light northerly airflow over the eastern Atlantic - you've read the isobars the wrong way round :eek!: Not the sort of conditions you'd expect an American bird to turn up in!

Michael

Tim Allwood said:
well put John

may be some flak coming your way though.....

and anyway.....as usual, no one'll ever know.

I'd love to tick it as much as anyone else but in this case conditions had been quite clear cut for sometime previously with all our weather steaming up straight out of Europe.......the list of other rares present shows this perfectly and is the RATHER BIG clue to exactly where this bird flew from too!

JP

Michael Frankis said:
Here's a bit of flak . . . ;)

The map shows a light northerly airflow over the eastern Atlantic - you've read the isobars the wrong way round :eek!: Not the sort of conditions you'd expect an American bird to turn up in!

Michael

The map is a temperature gradient map which I used as a snapshot to illustrate the source of air over the UK. If you look at the other archived maps previously the picture becomes clearer as the Yellow/Orange areas move northwards. A very good way of determining sources of air in general which I think is far more relevent to vagrancy particularly in spring. I don't think that the particular light wind directions shown here have any relevence.

:bounce:

Last edited:
Hi John,

Yep, it shows temperature gradient, but it also shows isobars (the white lines), and wind direction & strength can be worked from them. And wind direction determines the source of the air, not temperature.

I also wouldn't call the yellow (+2°C) exactly warm, either! - looks to me like pretty frightful weather over northwest Spain in fact, only 2 above freezing, which I guess relates to the northeast wind drifting in off the upwelling bottom water in the Bay of Biscay; guessing they had haar-like weather there that day. And 4°C in Morocco . . . 'nuff said! (I'm wondering, what exactly does that chart show!! - I presume night minima, but even so?? Can 4° in Casablanca really be right?)

The real thrust of warm (16°C+, red on the chart) air is on the south winds around the Caspian Sea up towards the Urals, they're the ones getting the nice spring weather - as expected, on the east side of a low pressure area

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi John,

Yep, it shows temperature gradient, but it also shows isobars (the white lines), and wind direction & strength can be worked from them. And wind direction determines the source of the air, not temperature.

I also wouldn't call the yellow (+2°C) exactly warm, either! - looks to me like pretty frightful weather over northwest Spain in fact, only 2 above freezing, which I guess relates to the northeast wind drifting in off the upwelling bottom water in the Bay of Biscay; guessing they had haar-like weather there that day. And 4°C in Morocco . . . 'nuff said! (I'm wondering, what exactly does that chart show!! - I presume night minima, but even so?? Can 4° in Casablanca really be right?)

The real thrust of warm (16°C+, red on the chart) air is on the south winds around the Caspian Sea up towards the Urals, they're the ones getting the nice spring weather - as expected, on the east side of a low pressure area

Michael

It isn't surface temps which are shown, which wouldn't give such a clear picture, but temps at 850 hpa geopotential height which illustrate a clearer overall picture of air temperature gradients. Thus the 4 deg in Morocco is actually much more at ground level and so on.
Wind direction does not at all indicate the overall source of the air mass as it can be quite localised depending on the size of the weather system. For example a westerly flow on to the UK could have originally swung down from the north or up from the south some miles offshore.
The weather in the UK has it's overall influence from the constant swinging back and fro of air masses from different sources.....continental, maritime, polar and the associated weather fronts created between these. The simplest way of viewing this is from a temp. gradient map as shown.
The maritime Atlantic air mass is roughly green and polar roughly blue.
As you can see, Atlantic Maritime air was pushed well north towards Iceland by the air from the continent, well out into the Atlantic and was having no effect on the UK.
The one illustrated shows quite clearly the warm continental air mass extending well over the UK by the colours used, rather than demonstrating surface temperatures which are locally very variable.

Enough meterology.............. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back