• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove Fledgling question (1 Viewer)

lissalis

There is a pair of mourning doves that are nesting outside my window and I have a concern but I am not sure if I am overreacting. The concern is there is no bushes, brush or any place to hide once the fledglings are on the ground. We also have dogs and our backyard is their playground. I think the eggs are due to hatch anytime now and I am concerned for the little fledglings. There are brush/bushes in the garden but it is about 10-15 feet away. Will they be safe, should I do something or do I just see what happens? Or am I totally overreacting to a situation that is not a concern.

Thank you.

Mourning Dove chicks in my experience typically leave the nest long before they're able to fly more than a few feet and if there are dogs about, the fledglings will certainly be vulnerable. In my own yard where stray cats can be a problem I've occasionally put very young fledglings back in the nest for the night but this only affords temporary protection and obviously won't be of much use against your dogs if they have free run of the yard during the day. Can you keep them out of the yard for the first week or so?

Sorry to have so little to suggest.

I must agree with fugl.
Best thing what you can do for them after leaving the nest is that you keep your dogs out from the yard for the first days. The distance (10-15 feet) for the young pigeons isn´t a problem for them but curious and investigating dogs are a danger for them. Please note that I´m talking about young birds which regular leave the nest, not about chicks throwing on the ground in storms or in an early age.
So don´t be worried yet ;-) All will be good if people aren´t too interested on the nest (visiting it daily or therelike). I would keep some distance to the nest so the parents mustn´t be concerned when trying to get back to the nest with food.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back