• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (43 Viewers)

Slavonian Grebe

I've attached a pic of the Slavonian Grebe taken this afternoon - quite dull overhead so quite grainy. I went to see it yesterday and must have walked past it. My first Slavonian Grebe so pleased to get such a good view. Also good views of the siskins and redpolls and a water rail, unfortunately far too dark for good pics but nice to see it for such an extended viewing.

Attachments

• Bird04044_20130120.jpg
    Bird04044_20130120.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 178
A four mile walk around my own area this afternoon was quite invigorating if nothing else although there were a few choice moments including watching one of three Kestrels feeding on freshly caught prey on top of a telegraph pole, a lone Buzzard on a hedge, hunched against quite a bitter wind and various finches and winter thrushes shining out against the bleak backdrop.
Not the kind of day I would have expected to break any personal local records but such event did happen with at least 42 hares in one extensive field south of Wacton Common - easily my highest ever count here and probably due to a combination of the snow which made them easy to see and the fact that they seemed to be converging from the whole surrounding area to make the most of the available food supply. Love hares and it was great watching their various attitudes of behaviour which ranged from some chasing and brief boxing, through quietly feeding individual loners to little huddles of three or four just sitting out the worst the weather could offer - at which point my frozen pinkies told me it was time to head home ;)

North Norfolk

Hey everyone,

A very pleasant day was spent birding between Titchwell and Cley with David Norgate, if not a little mild in places.

Choseley was consistent with Corn Bunting, Yellowhammer and Brambling seen.

Titchwell gave up its Lapland Bunting with minimal fuss, something that couldn't be said for the handful of Twite we managed to locate amongst a very mobile group of Passerines at Thornham Point. A Greenshank was also present in a random creek.

A group of c.50 Barnacle Geese were in a field to the west of the reserve, with a single hybrid specimen that seemed to show parentage of both Barnacle and Ross's Goose. Continuing the fantastic plastic streak, the ever present female Red crested Pochard was seen from the screens.

Good views of Lesser Redpoll and Brambling, again, as we left the reserve and embarked on a harbour and A149 safari. This proved profitable as we picked Rock Pipit and Peregrine at Thornham, a ring-tailed Hen Harrier just west of Burnham Norton and a second group of Twite at Brancaster, showing much better than the Titchwell birds(see photos below).

DSCF3117.jpg

A quick stop in the Holkham area was rewarded with 10+ White-fronted Geese, Common Buzzard and the hybrid Black Brant.

A Barn Owl and a family of Whooper Swans (2ad,3juv) were also noted along with a second Greenshank before we hit Cley.

A few Fulmar struggled east from the coastguards and two Snow Bunting finished the day at Salthouse.

DSCF3139.jpgDSCF3129edit.jpg

Regards,

Kieran

Last edited:
I've attached a pic of the Slavonian Grebe taken this afternoon - quite dull overhead so quite grainy. I went to see it yesterday and must have walked past it. My first Slavonian Grebe so pleased to get such a good view. Also good views of the siskins and redpolls and a water rail, unfortunately far too dark for good pics but nice to see it for such an extended viewing.

Excellent Ricky, must have been quite close to the shore then?
Always a lovely bird to see.

Sorry James, a bit of confusion caused by my not very well worded post - if you saw the pics of the water rail you'd know what I meant. Considering the dullness of the day I was pleased with the grebe pic. Thanks to everyone for the compliments on the pic.

Thanks Ben, this is very interesting. I have a new respect for greylags and will keep my eyes pealed for more.

As has been suggested in the Broads there is an odd movement of Greylags from Orkney. The birds breed in Orkney and come here for the winter, a surprise when I recieved the data. Strumpshaw had three last year, there is currently one in North Suffolk too.
Here is the recovery data of HVT, I think its quite amazing it got from Strumpy to Birsay, Orkney in (at most) 9 days, makes you look twice at some of the greylags knowing they may have been well travelled!

COHVT Loch of Boardhouse, Birsay HY2625 15/10/2011
COHVT Sabiston, Dounby HY2922 26/10/2011 vv
COHVT Kirbuster Farm, Birsay HY2825 01/11/2011 vv
COHVT Kirbuster, Birsay HY2825 20/11/2011 vv
COHVT Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk TG3306 24/02/2012 vv
COHVT Strumpshaw Fen, Norfolk TG331067 04/03/2012
COHVT Farafield, Birsay HY244311 13/03/2012 vv

To see what the Orkney collars look like there is a photo here Pic here-http://bensbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/review-of-year-and-resolutions-for-2013.html

At the patch (station marshes/ thorpe)yesterday afternoon just before the snow started to arrive again,I noted a good number of wildfowl was present on the broad. Of note 170+ gadwall along with some teal and tufted. Also a small flock of Siskin among some Gold finches was nice and a water rail heard. But as I left bird of the year so far, a ringtail Hen Harrier made its way across the marsh and then up into the trees along the railway line. It was a fairly brief but very enjoyable view of a super patch tick. Unfortunately I was unable to pick it up again and as the first few flakes of snow begun to fall I decided to head off.
A super hours patching ,
Shaky

A short walk out the back of my house was rewarded with the continued presence of the (flighty) Green Sandpiper, which had now been joined by a Grey Wagtail (which, along with the stream can be seen below!). Another welcome sight came in the form of a Woodcok, who typically saw me before I saw it (mth!) A few Siskin, Marsh Tit and Bullfinch (always a personal favourite) were also encountered. A stunning male Sparrowhawk unsuccessfully tried to take advantage of some back garden feeders! Who needs to coast?!?

PS meant to say I saw 26 (!) species altogether!

A little further afield produced super views of Red Kite, Buzzard and Barn Owl.

Attachments

• DSCF3194 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF3194 (1024x768).jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCF3190 (1024x764).jpg
    DSCF3190 (1024x764).jpg
    311 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
A couple of Marsh Tits on the feeders in my garden today were the first I'd seen on the feeders although I know they are in the wood beyond my garden. Redwing and Fieldfare over and one Little Egret seen again.

Chris

I managed my own, lone Fieldfare (through the window, but not the glass) today. Nowhere near as good as Stuart’s; then, it was across the road and the light was failing.

I’d put down wild bird seed; it was heading in the other direction ! I saw no birds come to the seed, this afternoon.

“There was a single Fieldfare here, and lonely did it forage.
It fed on worms, I do suppose, and not some long cold porridge.
I saw it not in Bideford, nor even Westward Ho!
But, then, I live in Norfolk, bor- that’s nowhere near the Torridge!”

Attachments

• 026pse.jpg
    026pse.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 81
Hi,

Back from Buckenham and Cantley marshes with c.31 Taiga Bean Geese, 2 Barn Owls, 2 Bearded Tits, 1 Peregrine Falcon, and an apparent hybrid Snow Goose x Bernacle Goose.
Two others birders also reported Bewick's Swans and a Short eared Owl.

Quentin

Last edited:
Titchwell January 22nd

Today’s highlights

Barnacle goose – 58 on grazing meadow. Anyone wish to comment on their origin...? They have arrived ahead of this cold snap so could be wild birds although the presence of a dodgy hybrid thing amongst them doesn't help!
Lapland bunting – 1 on saltmarsh by beach boardwalk
Bewick’s swan – 10 west @ 13:20
Hen harrier – ringtail over saltmarsh
Med gull – 2 adult + 1st winter on beach
Merlin – 1 over saltmarsh
Barn owl – 1 hunting over the grazing meadow at dusk

Paul

Barnacle goose – 58 on grazing meadow. Anyone wish to comment on their origin...? They have arrived ahead of this cold snap so could be wild birds although the presence of a dodgy hybrid thing amongst them doesn't help!

There was a vey similar (same bird?) hybrid with 5 Barnacles amongst the Pink-feet on Holkham Freshemarsh, viewed from Burnham Overy on Sat 12th.
(See Dave Appleton's site for details: http://gobirding.eu/Diary/Diary.html - scroll down to the 12th!))
Would be interesting to know if it is still there or is now at Titchwell! Maybe the larger number of Barnacle picked these up on the way!

Where are all the ducks?
Spent a couple of hours in the Wensum Valley today. Most sites were still frozen over, but two lakes were still mainly free of ice, but, rather than be filled with dispersed birds from the frozen lakes (and further afield) , all I could find were a few Tufted Duck and a couple of Pochard!
Kingfisher was nice and three more Buzzard at different sites, but not a single Barn Owl!

There was a vey similar (same bird?) hybrid with 5 Barnacles amongst the Pink-feet on Holkham Freshemarsh, viewed from Burnham Overy on Sat 12th.
(See Dave Appleton's site for details: http://gobirding.eu/Diary/Diary.html - scroll down to the 12th!))
Would be interesting to know if it is still there or is now at Titchwell! Maybe the larger number of Barnacle picked these up on the way!

Looks pretty similar Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back