• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (40 Viewers)

The light for photography was very good, the company and banter was even better but sadly the birds struggled to keep up with everything being much as the last few days.

the banter was brill your shots came out well ive just put one on Flickr no point in repeat shots on here Alan cya soon :t:

Last edited:
weather for work party

Had a look at the weather (local site based at Stoke Prior - see link below); There is a window of opportunity up to 12 noon, with only a 10% chance of rain. If we can make head way in the first couple of hours, I think we will sort all the tasks. It is our last chance and the Avocets are getting frisky, so I think we will be motivated for their sake. I will be there early as poss to get the tools and equipment ready. Its only water, come on 'boys' and GIRLS we can do it.:smoke:

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.8.03526

Last edited:
Work Party

I've been on the work party today and continue to be amazed by the planning and commitment of the organisers and workers, both on Tuesdays and Sundays.
The reasons for the different tasks become so obvious when explained and is so beneficial to the reserve.
Many of these guys have been working tirelessly on the reserve for many years and their enthusiasm is endless.
As a relative newcomer, just over 12 months visiting UW, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying a massive thank you to these guys for years of hard work and hopefully the next few months will attract some great birds for all to enjoy.
Cheers!
Rich

Work Party

I've been on the work party today and continue to be amazed by the planning and commitment of the organisers and workers, both on Tuesdays and Sundays.
The reasons for the different tasks become so obvious when explained and is so beneficial to the reserve.
Many of these guys have been working tirelessly on the reserve for many years and their enthusiasm is endless.
As a relative newcomer, just over 12 months visiting UW, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying a massive thank you to these guys for years of hard work and hopefully the next few months will attract some great birds for all to enjoy.
Cheers!
Rich

Seconded.......I was helping out at K.N.N.R. myself this morning.....only chance I have had to put a little back.
Keith :t:

Work Party

Cheers!
Rich

Arrrrr that's nice Rich - only because you won 4-1. 8-P

joking apart Rich, very much appreciated what you said , but we couldn't do it without you lot. :t:
I was about to say thanks to everyone for today's brilliant effort, given the conditions - both under foot and out of the sky. I would also like to say thanks to everyone who has helped this season. I know a few of the lads couldn't come today , through health and other commitments. Since October we have achieved a lot, a new area of shingle a couple of new 'arms' to the spit etc. I will post later with photos B :)B :)

As John as just said many thanks to the 19 who turned out today. We started the work at quite a pace and kept in up throughout the morning so most of the tasks were completed by 1pm. Work undertaken was as follows:

- Mending and strengthening the fox proof fence in a number of weak areas
- Clearance of further breeding islands
- Laying pea shingle to create more breeding opportunities for LRP
- Improving the fox-proofness (if thats a word ;)) and the opening of the gate from the sewage work and creating a feeding stockade just inside the gate (to allow the grazier easy access and reducing the need to walk over the sewage meadow to minimise disturbance) *
- Strimming all phragmite bordering the second flash (to create additional shoreline that waders will feel secure feeding along)
- Strimming the southern (right-hand) end of the second flash reed bed (to improve views into the third flash)
- Strimming the northern (left-hand) end of the second flash reed bed (to expose the area in front of the oak tree which is a very interesting area of damp grass with extensive juncas)

We acknowledge that this work has reduced in the reduction of the reed bed areas at the Flashes. The justification is as follows:

- Controlling the main reed bed is the only way to prevent reed beds spreading along the shoreline with its negative impact on breeding and migratory waders
- The reed beds removed were of poor quality, very dry and brittle. In the approx 200 sq metres cut, only one Reed Warblers nest was noted. Therefore the likely impact is the loss of a few pairs of Reed Bunting
- The Moors Pool holds the reserve's principle reed beds and are appropriately managed to maximise their potential
- The cutting of the reed beds now will permit the cattle to graze of the emerging fresh new shoots (they are unlikely to feed on the existing dry, woody stems)
- The cutting opens up a number of wet, boggy areas vegetated with grass and juncas that would be suitable to breeding Lapwing and Redshank with potential for Snipe, Curlew and Yellow Wagtail

* We later observed Ben the grazier visit to feed his cattle hay; the new set-up worked a treat with no real disturbance and no need to venture outside the feeding stockade erected. Obviously he will, on occasions, need to venture out onto the sewage meadow to refill the trough (troth / troff? ;)) but this is still a significant distance from the shoreline (the view is very fore-shortened from the hide)

Last edited:
work party photos BEFORE WORK

1. to 3. The reed bed along the 2nd Flash east side from north to south
4. the southern side of the 2nd Flash.

I would also like to add
Tim has devised a method of locating birds along the eastern and meadow shorelines. He installed a series of wooden markers, these have been placed approx 50metres apart. The markers spell FLASHES, this should help us give directions to birds on the far shorelines. ie left of the 'L'. :t:Nice one Tim

Attachments

• 1. b4 wrk east reedsDSCF9950 (2).JPG
    1. b4 wrk east reedsDSCF9950 (2).JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.b4 wrk east reedDSCF9949 (2).JPG
    2.b4 wrk east reedDSCF9949 (2).JPG
    230 KB · Views: 55
  • 3. b4 wrk east reedsDSCF9948 (2).JPG
    3. b4 wrk east reedsDSCF9948 (2).JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 4. b4 wrksouth reedsDSCF9946 (2).JPG
    4. b4 wrksouth reedsDSCF9946 (2).JPG
    319 KB · Views: 63
  • 5. b4 wrk whole shotDSCF9951 (2).JPG
    5. b4 wrk whole shotDSCF9951 (2).JPG
    230 KB · Views: 62
The AFTER WORK Pics

1.The whole east reeds after cuttin
2. the southern shore of 2nd Flash
3. A closer view of the area in front of the oak tree.
4. a view of the same area in pic 3 from the blackthorn thicket looking south.
5. the grassland in front of sewage works and Matt

Attachments

• 6. AFTA whole of reedswjDSCF9981 (2).JPG
    6. AFTA whole of reedswjDSCF9981 (2).JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 7. AFTER SOUTH SIDE 2ND FLSCF9979 (2).JPG
    7. AFTER SOUTH SIDE 2ND FLSCF9979 (2).JPG
    361 KB · Views: 78
  • 8. CLOSE UP AFTADSCF9971 (2).JPG
    8. CLOSE UP AFTADSCF9971 (2).JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 9. CLOSE UP IN FRONT OF OAK AFTADSCF9962 (2).JPG
    9. CLOSE UP IN FRONT OF OAK AFTADSCF9962 (2).JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 10. THE are in front of sewage wrkaftaDSCF9959 (2).JPG
    10. THE are in front of sewage wrkaftaDSCF9959 (2).JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Birding Today

FLASHES:
before and during work party.
Avocet 15, curlew 16, Oystercatcher 2, Jack snipe 2, common snipe 1, lapwing few, common gull 2 ads,
sparrowhawk, buzzard,
coot 17,
skylark 2 singing, fieldfare and redwing 150+, meadow pipit, pied wag,
lesser redpoll,

After work and again this evening till dark.
Teal 52 (when a Severn Trent worker appeared this evening he flushed a large flock from the filter beds and hen brook), shelduck pr, tufted pr 3rd Flash, coot 22, water rail called from 3rd flash reed bed,
curlew 20,
BHG 500 roosted, LBBG 12,
Starling 50+,

News from yesterday 25 Curlew at Flashes am - per Dave J

Last edited:
Great effort by all this morning. Good company, top organisation, fresh air and a great cause. Not mentioning the worldie Chocolate cake.

Will Mary's downstairs hide shop be open on all Sunday mornings ?

A couple of phone pics attached (Not really my finest idea to have it in my pocket all morning given the water we was working in)

Bring on the migrants !

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpg
    IMG_3793.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 103
Moors
GCG 9, little grebe in lagoon and Broadmeadow pool, Shoveler 29, teal 2, tufted 51 plus 2 NM pool, pochard 9,
Phil and Mike might have more to add,

Great effort by all this morning. Good company, top organisation, fresh air and a great cause. Not mentioning the worldie Chocolate cake.

Will Mary's downstairs hide shop be open on all Sunday mornings ?

A couple of phone pics attached (Not really my finest idea to have it in my pocket all morning given the water we was working in)

Bring on the migrants !

Not a bad idea Neil, maybe the next time we get a guddie;)

Very little to add. Teal increased to 6, a good count of 18 Reed Buntings on the feeding station plus small numbers of Greenfinch and Chaffinch and 3 Bullfinches (2 males). Cetti's Warbler sang from the east side as I headed back to the car park at c.17.45. A small flock of thrushes - 70+ - (Fieldfare and Redwing) were seen in the field behind the hide/in alders to the right of the hide.

Moors
GCG 9, little grebe in lagoon and Broadmeadow pool, Shoveler 29, teal 2, tufted 51 plus 2 NM pool, pochard 9,
Phil and Mike might have more to add,

As Mike has stated, not much!
7 Lapwing, 3 Oystercatcher, 5 Cormorant, 9 Moorhen, 15 Coot, 3 Little Grebe, 13 Avocet before they headed back to the Flashes, 2 Lesser Redpoll on Lifestyles feeders

Last edited:
There was a flock of about 40 Redpolls in the education reserve early morning yesterday - didn't grill them though as I didn't have time (or my scope).

I had a quick visit to the Flashes this morning. Splendid work done by the Sunday crew. I am sure the birds will appreciate the changes at the water margins while birders will enjoy better sight-lines and the ingenious optical orientation system. Well done everyone.

12 Avocets were on view.

Peter

I had a quick visit to the Flashes this morning. Splendid work done by the Sunday crew. I am sure the birds will appreciate the changes at the water margins while birders will enjoy better sight-lines and the ingenious optical orientation system. Well done everyone.

12 Avocets were on view.

Peter

I wonder where the remaining three are?

Des.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back