• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Tuesday work party at Moors

Today was yet another great effort with 14 people. That's 19 different faces in two weeks. It was a good job we had a few sicknotes today as we had not planned for such a turn out. The sluice channels were cleared out, of the choking reedmace and phragmites. This will hopefully, be where the returning bitterns will soon appear.
The willows along the out flow channel from the sluice were coppiced, this will open up the area and the rank vegetation will be desirable to cettis warblers.
The large willow just south of the west hide was pollarded, this will reduce the shading effect on the nearby elder and bramble patches that are so important for nesting and feeding autumn warblers.
The first 2 pics show the new cleared sluice 'basin channels'
pic 3 shows the view from behind the west hide showing the 'pollarded' willow and resultant 'open' bramble and elder patch.
pic 4 . shows where the willows were cleared from today and the rank 'cettis' type habitat.

ps - welcome back Mark (Hagar):t:

Attachments

• 3.sluice channel.jpg
    3.sluice channel.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 4. skiuce basin cleared 20th sep11.jpg
    4. skiuce basin cleared 20th sep11.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 1.view from back of west hide.jpg
    1.view from back of west hide.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.rank veg around sluice out chan.jpg
    2.rank veg around sluice out chan.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Great work John, Paul and co. It should have some really positive benefit for Bitterns and warblers (including Cetti's).

Just a reminder that the first Flashes work party of the year is this Sunday starting at 10am.

I forgot to mention that we have also improved the view for the photographers from the concrete hide. We have widened the channels and both kingfisher perches are now viewable. Let me know rob (forgetfulelephant) if you need any more adjustments.
cheers john

Birding today was a bit ...quiet.
At the Flashes: Teal 12, snipe 2, green sand1, curlew5, lapwing 10, BHG 100+, LBBG 8 on deck. Large flock of 50+ goldfinches.
However there was a lot of RAIN! at last:-O ...but saying that, with the opportunity of creating islands on the dried 2nd Flash it could do with holding off for a week or so.
A picture of a very wet Flashes, its going to take a week of solid rain to fill it up.

Attachments

• wet.jpg
    wet.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 70
The first 2 pics show the new cleared sluice 'basin channels'

I'd forgotten we had a depth marker there ... :eek!:

Looking good, just need something good in all this habitat - I suppose we got spoiled in the spring. Still time for something mega tho', just not whilst we are in Shetland please :t:

Green Belt ePetition

Hi All,

I've signed this petition because I don't want the government changing existing planning policy that could lead to a 'free-for-all', damaging green-belt land and harming wildlife.

If you feel the same, follow the link below and sign up. The 'forests' campaign was very successful and in the end the government were forced to back down.

Cheers,

Dave

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-countryside

Hi All,

I've signed this petition because I don't want the government changing existing planning policy that could lead to a 'free-for-all', damaging green-belt land and harming wildlife.

If you feel the same, follow the link below and sign up. The 'forests' campaign was very successful and in the end the government were forced to back down.

Cheers,

Dave

Just signed Dave:t:

I've also put my name down,also sent the link to my MP with a few words telling her how wise it would be for her to sign it also.

Grayman :t::t:

Last edited:
I've also put my name down,also sent the link to my MP with a few words telling her how wise it would be for her to sign it also.

Grayman :t::t:

Nice one, Grayman (and Spoonbill Finder). :t: It would be a great shame if the environment was to suffer just for the sake of short-term economic stimulus.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Dave

Just signed it too Dave.

Brian

Thanks for starting that Woodchat.

The changes to planning really are of great concern. Potentially far more so than the forest issue but probably not so high profile.

The document refers to presumptions in favour of sustainable development, just what we want you'd think, until you realise that sustainable in this context means "makes money' not "environmentally neutral or beneficial".

The problems caused by the deficit will affect our standards of living for years, but they will end and I hope we have a biodiverse countryside at the end of it!

Leaving my hobby horse tied up at the railings: biodiversity at the moors pretty low this pm geese and gulls very jumpy was this character to blame?

Attachments

• Mink - Moors.jpg
    Mink - Moors.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 73
With things a bit quiet on the reserve at the moment had time to finally complete the breeding survey . Attachment shows the minimum number of pairs for each species. The young raised is much easier to quantify for wetland species but almost impossible for passerines so apart from willow warbler ( which bred for the first time in many years) I have put a ? , suffice to say that young of all the passerines species were seen.

A couple of notable missing species were: Cettis warbler, that were all lost in the winter and Redshank, which if memory serves me well, 2011 will be the first year that no attempt was made, owing to there being only 1 bird present.
B :)John

Attachments

• breeding for forum.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

The changes to planning really are of great concern. Potentially far more so than the forest issue but probably not so high profile.

The document refers to presumptions in favour of sustainable development, just what we want you'd think, until you realise that sustainable in this context means "makes money' not "environmentally neutral or beneficial".

The problems caused by the deficit will affect our standards of living for years, but they will end and I hope we have a biodiverse countryside at the end of it!

Leaving my hobby horse tied up at the railings: biodiversity at the moors pretty low this pm geese and gulls very jumpy was this character to blame?
Roger can you notify Andy Harris re mink, they will get the trappers out.:t:John If you can't I will email them tomorrow.

I have received some ringing information from John Sirrett, which he obtained from the BTO, regarding a B H Gull seen at Upton on the 2nd March 2011. The gull (20C9) was rung as a nestling on the 7th June 2010 at Hosehill Lake, West Berkshire. I will forward the full information to Phil for the purposes of the 2011 report.

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS (which are few).

FLASHES:
Yellow Wag (2) in transmitter field-----------Siskin (8) over.
Meadow Pipit---------------------------------- Snipe(1)
Green Sand (1)--------------------------------Little Grebe (3rd Flash)
Raven

MOORS:
Teal (36)---------------------------------------Shoveler (8)
Lapwing (c70)---------------------------------Mute Swan (6)
Little Grebe------------------------------------Snipe(3)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wag.

Des.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Dave

Unfortunate but unsuprising the G'ment want's to dumb down the process by which the countryside can be vandalised. Happy to sign but it's a finger in dyke I fear:-C

Well said, Roger! - my sentiments exactly. :t:

Unfortunate but unsuprising the G'ment want's to dumb down the process by which the countryside can be vandalised. Happy to sign but it's a finger in dyke I fear:-C

Maybe you're right, Mark, but if enough people voice their concerns and make enough fuss it may force them to rethink. I see Mr Cameron has put some soundbites out today vowing to protect the "magnificent countryside" - BBC link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14997893

We'll see if his words are worth anything.

I have received some ringing information from John Sirrett, which he obtained from the BTO, regarding a B H Gull seen at Upton on the 2nd March 2011. The gull (20C9) was rung as a nestling on the 7th June 2010 at Hosehill Lake, West Berkshire. I will forward the full information to Phil for the purposes of the 2011 report.

TODAY'S HIGHLIGHTS (which are few).

FLASHES:
Yellow Wag (2) in transmitter field-----------Siskin (8) over.
Meadow Pipit---------------------------------- Snipe(1)
Green Sand (1)--------------------------------Little Grebe (3rd Flash)
Raven

MOORS:
Teal (36)---------------------------------------Shoveler (8)
Lapwing (c70)---------------------------------Mute Swan (6)
Little Grebe------------------------------------Snipe(3)

SAILING POOL:
Grey Wag.

Des.

Cheers Des. Good to see a continued presence of Yellow Wags at the Flashes.

Maybe you're right, Mark, but if enough people voice their concerns and make enough fuss it may force them to rethink. I see Mr Cameron has put some soundbites out today vowing to protect the "magnificent countryside" - BBC link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14997893

We'll see if his words are worth anything.

Dave, I agree, but it I think it will probably come down a risk assessment relating to vote loss ..unfortunately it will be up to bodies to provide a good reason why land shouldn't be built on..rather than a starting point of 'this land cannnot be developed' ..it stinks mate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back