• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB, MINOX, HELIOS 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Paskman

Does anybody out there know whether, underneath the skin, the RSPB BG PC 8x32, Minox BL 8x32 and Helios AM-6 8x32 are the same binoculars? I have been considering some 8x32's for the car in preference to the 10x25's I currently use. Having looked around I have noticed a striking similarity between the 3 models. I have noticed that the RSPB has received very good reviews on the forum and I have tried the Minox and like them a lot. However the Helios are a lot cheaper and I, therefore, wondered whether I might take the plunge unseen, as I cannot find any stockists near me (breaking the golden rule!). Any help gratefully received.

Paul

Golden rule - try before you buy! There is most definitely a difference in the optics...my guess is that the bodies all come out of the same factory with some slight variation to the final rubber armouring to incorporate brand/logo or slight change in styling but this is purely cosmetic. I can see a better performance through the Minox than the Helios - this is marginal, but apparent if you can compare side by side. I've not tried the R.S.P.B. version but am sceptical of any reviews done by one individual - remember that on the majority of reviews it is one person's word - again who did the review and where was it published.... would you see a bad review on an RSPB optic in an RSPB associated publication, I think not.

Paskman said:
Does anybody out there know whether, underneath the skin, the RSPB BG PC 8x32, Minox BL 8x32 and Helios AM-6 8x32 are the same binoculars? I have been considering some 8x32's for the car in preference to the 10x25's I currently use. Having looked around I have noticed a striking similarity between the 3 models. I have noticed that the RSPB has received very good reviews on the forum and I have tried the Minox and like them a lot. However the Helios are a lot cheaper and I, therefore, wondered whether I might take the plunge unseen, as I cannot find any stockists near me (breaking the golden rule!). Any help gratefully received.

Paul

I'd play safe and go with the minox bins..

don't think anyone has posted a word against them here yet,and plenty say how great they are.I suspect they might also have a better garuntee/customer service history.

I'm just about about to send my current binocs in for a minor repair,if they don't come back any better those minox models would certainly be my first choice.

thanks to home improvements my ultravids have been put back another few months at least ;)

matt

They are definitely not the same bins, though the are very similar. I've tested the helios and the minox side by side and feel that the minox had the edge. They just seemed to perform a bit better at distance, though both are excellent at close range (focus to under 2m). The minox are only about £30 more than the helios and to my eyes are worth the extra. The RSPB ones are also excellent, my wife has been using a pair for a few years and really likes them.

never looked through the helios.

The new RSPB BGPC seemed to have a better DOF to me than the minox.

but compare them for yourself

Thanks Guys. It is beginning to look like the Minox BL's might be the ones - I have tried them and I do like them. Now I just have to raise the funds, anyone interested in a pair of Zeiss 10x25 BT*P Classics in mint condition? I might put them in the classifieds section.

Paul

Paskman said:
Thanks Guys. It is beginning to look like the Minox BL's might be the ones - I have tried them and I do like them. Now I just have to raise the funds, anyone interested in a pair of Zeiss 10x25 BT*P Classics in mint condition? I might put them in the classifieds section.

Paul
I came to the same conclusion as you about the RSPB and the Helios, but not the Minox. The other one that I thought was a clone was the Opticron Verano. I've looked through the RSPB, Helios and Minox and much preferred the first two. I found them easier to look through than the Minox. As for appearance, I thought the Helios was the best looking of them all - apart from having the word "Helios" on them. I had concluded that the Verano was the best buy; only £20 or so more than the Helios, but with the Opticron comprehensive 30-year guarantee.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back