• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Increasing raptors (1 Viewer)

mooskibaby

Over the last year, i seem to have a lot of activity in my garden. Mainly through the disturbance of raptors. Raptors do seem to be getting more and more common in peoples gardens, is this because people are feeding small garden birds more, and this therefore does mean there is more food going for raptors.
Is this true?

Over the last year, i seem to have a lot of activity in my garden. Mainly through the disturbance of raptors. Raptors do seem to be getting more and more common in peoples gardens, is this because people are feeding small garden birds more, and this therefore does mean there is more food going for raptors.
Is this true?

I suppose it could also mean that there is less food in the places they want to live and are therefore forced into gardens etc. However, I don't really believe that this is the case.

By raptors, I assume that you mean mainly Sparrowhawks and occasionally Kestrels?

It's very difficult to draw any conclusions when we're talking about such a small area as your garden. It might be as simple as a pair has started nesting somewhere nearby for the first time.

However, I think that raptors generally are increasing. 15 years ago a Buzzard would have been a rarity in my area, but these days you are more likely to see one (in the countryside) than either Sparrowhawk or Kestrel, and I get the occasional bird over my town centre house.

I've heard from a few people in San Francisco that every spring their bird feeders are prime targets of Cooper's and sharpies.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back