• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon lens covers (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
If there is anything Nikon is particularly weak about, it is their lens covers. It takes just one outing for them to get lost if you don't remove them beforehand. :C

For my Fieldscope ED III I am now using a 67 mm Pentax cover for the objective lens. That has worked very well so far.

For the zoom eyepiece, however, I find it difficult to get a cover that really fits. For the older 20-45x, I got by with a cover from a cheap pair of binoculars. Does anyone have a good solution for the 20-60x?

Having looked in vain for any reply, so far, I wonder whether

1- I am the only one who has this problem?

or

2 - No one has found a decent solution for it up to now?

By the way, for the Leica eyepieces, the (much stiffer) lens caps tend to stick too tightly. But there, it is easy to file off a bit on the inside of the lens cap. Wish Nikon had chosen that path, too!

I replaced my lost Nikon cap with a "drug bottle cap", come in many sizes.
Larger caps can be found in the food stores on cat food tins, iced tea tins, etc., that fit scopes.
I'm not suggesting nipping the cover mind you!

Swissboy said:
If there is anything Nikon is particularly weak about, it is their lens covers. It takes just one outing for them to get lost if you don't remove them beforehand. :C

For my Fieldscope ED III I am now using a 67 mm Pentax cover for the objective lens. That has worked very well so far.

For the zoom eyepiece, however, I find it difficult to get a cover that really fits. For the older 20-45x, I got by with a cover from a cheap pair of binoculars. Does anyone have a good solution for the 20-60x?
No problem with mine, yet!

Screech said:
I replaced my lost Nikon cap with a "drug bottle cap", come in many sizes.
Larger caps can be found in the food stores on cat food tins, iced tea tins, etc., that fit scopes.
I'm not suggesting nipping the cover mind you!

I have been looking in that direction too. But so far I have not come across a suitable one. So I thought someone might suggest a specific product that I could simply order. I suppose, though, that the caps you suggest would rather fit the front lens, and I already have that problem solved.

I agree there lense covers are not very great, the worst of all is the eyepiece comes with a decent outer cap, but nothing to sheild the scope side glass when the eyepiece is not installed. I havn't been using the objective lense cover, just zipping up the case.

Well - I think that the Zeiss and Swaro objective lens covers have a bit to answer for, too - at least Nikon recognise that it's better to have a cap that goes over rather than inside the lens area.

In Focus at Rutland seem to have a boxful of them - I guess people hand them in? I didn't notice a preponderence of Nikon lens caps!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back