• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

***Red Kite? (Possible Long-legged Buzzard in UK) (1 Viewer)

At risk of flogging a dead horse, did anything ever come to light on this bird, or has any light been shed on Red-tailed Hawk/Buzzard hybrid offspring? Seems a shame to just let it go when to my eyes it appears to be a perfectly good LL Buzzard

Jan

I think most locals agree that it is almost certainly a Common Buzzard (or may be a hybrid). The structure and proportions don't look like a LL Buzzard to me.

Without reading all the comments or pondering long and hard this bird strikes me as a "steppe" buzzard. It looks more compact, not long-winged enough to be a LLBuzzard. However, that's just an opinion of a "jizz" birder, who is all too often banned to a respectful hush by the revelations of more scientifically superior birders, especially when dealing with photos.

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

Bizarrely, after this thread has been resurrected recently, I saw this bird today while on fieldwork near Huntingdon. I took a careful mental note and compared it with these original images, and I'm about 95% sure it's the same bird. So unless it's a LLB or Steppe that's been hanging around for 5 yrs, I think it can be laid to bed as an unusual common buzzard.

Hi. It looks like a Common Buzzard, probably a vulpinus more common now coming from Northern Europe.

There is only one record of vulpinus in Britain - the other records were removed following a review by the BBRC several years ago. So vulpinus is an extreme rarity to Britain, and unlikely to be lingering in inland Cambridgeshire for several years

There is only one record of vulpinus in Britain - the other records were removed following a review by the BBRC several years ago. So vulpinus is an extreme rarity to Britain, and unlikely to be lingering in inland Cambridgeshire for several years

Thanks. I estimate your commentary.

Pictures yesterday of a very high passage bird, which looks similar to the OP's bird - from Qingcheng Mountain, Sichuan, China - at first I just assumed this was an Upland Buzzard (we are very close to the breeding range - and Qingcheng is a passage area for birds of prey + my wife got a pic of one yesterday in another nearby location). But after looking at this thread, and looking through other pics, I'm starting to scratch my poor old head - we have Vulpinus Common's wintering in Sichuan and are also dead on route for one of the Long-legged winter grounds.
But my bird does look at lot like those in the very first post!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 186
Long Legged Buzzard

Hi experts, I had to sign up today to let you know that I saw a buzzrd on the last two consequtive days and quickly got out my old ships telescope (family airloom). The first sighting and reference to books showed me that it was definitely a buzzard. the second sighting yesterday made me look closer at the markings under the wings, tail shape etc. Comparing the pictures and what I saw I determined that it was a long legged buzzard. I was disappointed to find later that they don't come this far. Then I found this website and forum and I'm quite excited. I'll stick with what I saw. A buzzard with no tail band (Long legged buzzard). Sorry for being so vague, I humbly submit my sighting and conclusion. By the way I did not notice a gap in its tail.

Hi Hugh,

As you say - Long-legged Buzzards don't occur in the UK. Some Common Buzzards can have very reduced tail markings, and escaped Red-tailed Hawks can look like LLB's too.. add to this that some hybrid Common Buzzards x Red-tailed Hawks are at large in the country, and that some very rufous Common Buzzards can be found. I would guess your bird will have been a Common Buzzard (much more likely that LLB), but without photo, you will never know for sure.

Hope this helps

Assuming this was in/at/over Spalding (Lincs, UK)...
Massively unlikely, I'm afraid (as a wild bird) - and, sadly, to get this record widely believed, you'd need:
- Extensive knowledge and experience of raptor ID in Europe, plus
- Very detailed field notes
or
- Very good photos
and probably
- Corroboration by other experienced observers.
Actually, I'd guess that just a regular common buzzard over Spalding might be a nice record, so personally I'd be well satisfied with that.
(You really should've started a new thread for this topic. But n'mind.)

Last edited:
Assuming this was in/at/over Spalding (Lincs, UK)...
Massively unlikely, I'm afraid (as a wild bird) - and, sadly, to get this record widely believed, you'd need:
- Extensive knowledge and experience of raptor ID in Europe, plus
- Very detailed field notes
or
- Very good photos
and probably
- Corroboration by other experienced observers.
Actually, I'd guess that just a regular common buzzard over Spalding might be a nice record, so personally I'd be well satisfied with that.
(You really should've started a new thread for this topic. But n'mind.)

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping others have seen it too. It's my first time on any forum so struggling to find my way around. I saw the buzzard at Donington from my house. I'm about 7 miles north of Spalding. I also saw a honey buzzard locally in 2000 and 2001 at Sutterton but I'm no expert. It flew very close to me and stayed low to the ground (following a bee I think). I saw it two years running in the same place but I've not seen it since.

If I see the buzzard again I'll rush for my camera. What I need is a telescope that takes film!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back