• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL Revision History? (1 Viewer)

climb.on

New member here. I've been using the site for a while as I research new binos - lots of great info!

I've pretty well settled on a set of Swarovski EL 8.5x42's (non SV versions) for my needs and price range. I've got a line on 2 different sets of EL's I'm trying to decide on. One set has serial #L72.... and the other is #L69.... If I understand correctly, these are 2002 and 1999 model years, respectively. I think 1999 was the first year for the EL's. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

My question is are there any differences in coatings or anything else in the pre-Swarovision EL binos?

Unless it was converted later the 1999 specimen would have the extremely slow focuser that was supplied initially. I think 2002 was about when the focuser changed, so that one might be slow or fast. In my opinion the faster focuser (which isn't really very fast) is much more desirable. The coatings where changed gradually, but the biggest improvements were after 2004, so I don't think there will be much difference there.

Thanks Henry. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. What changed in 2004 - was that when Swarobright was introduced? Is is worth waiting and looking for a post 2004 model? Anyone know of a reference on the web somewhere with all the various changes that have been made to this model over the years?

I see from a little searching of old threads that my 2002 date for the focuser change was wrong. I now think it was sometime in 2005. There was never any official Swarovski acknowledgement of coatings changes. I'll search some more later for more accurate dates for my personal experience with that.

Dear all,
On the WEB-site of House of Outdoor you can find my powerpoit presentation about the History and Quality Development of Swarovski Optics (if you google that title you wil get it probably directly; it is in English). Some attention is also given at new coatings. If you can not find it, please give a message and I will direct you.
Gijs van Ginkel

The first year of mfr. of the original EL was 1999, and the last year was in 2009, the 60th anniversary of Swarovski.
I have owned 2 examples. My first one was from 2001 and the 2nd was a 2009.
All of the EL's had Swarobright (di-electric) prism coatings. This was the first model of any binocular
that had this advanced prism coatings. The full size SLC models had Swarobright starting in 2002
and the 8x30 SLC in 2003.
The faster focus was added in 2004, and in 2006 the non-stick, Easy-to-clean, Swaroclean lens coatings
were introduced. There is a noticeable improvement in brightness and contrast with the newer models,
I have compared them directly.
Updated antireflective lens coatings were added along the way, this is what Swarovski calls Swarodur
and Swarotop. My notes show 2007 had some larger improvements, and in 2009, the Swarotop
coatings were upgraded in all optics ahead of the Swarovision EL, which debuted that year.

These are just things I have gleaned over the years, and going from my notes.
Gijs is the authority.

All of the EL models are very good, so you can decide which one you prefer.

Jerry

Last edited:
All of the EL's had Swarobright (di-electric) prism coatings. This was the first model of any binocular
that had this advanced prism coatings. The full size SLC models had Swarobright starting in 2000
and the 8x30 SLC in 2003.
Hello Jerry,
I've been trying to find out what manufacturer and when di-electric prism coatings were first introduced for roof prism binoculars. Are you saying it was Swarovski in 2000?

If one wants to discuss the history of Swarovski I think it would be wise to reconsider the title of this thread!;)

Bob

Hello Jerry,
I've been trying to find out what manufacturer and when di-electric prism coatings were first introduced for roof prism binoculars. Are you saying it was Swarovski in 2000?

It was in 1999, the first year of the Swarovski EL models, 8.5x42
and 10x42. That was the first of di-electric prism coatings as far
as I can tell.

Jerry

I think Jerry's dates and impressions are correct. I couldn't find my earlier posts on the subject of gradual improvements in the anti-reflection coatings, but I believe the first EL I saw with considerably improved contrast and color accuracy compared to my 2000 pair was made in the fall of 2006. Two pairs I compared to mine made in 2002 and 2003 were not much different from mine.

I understand that the faster focussing was introduced in 2005 to make less turns from close focus to infinity due to customer complaints about the slow focus. The number of turns reduced from 2.5 in original to 1.5 turns in the revised model. ELs with serial numbers beyond L741995971 have the faster focus. I have a 2002 8.5x42 with the slow focus and a 2005 10x42 with the faster focus and I much prefer the faster focus model. You can have the earlier models upgraded to the faster focus by Swaro for a fee.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back