• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

711 Ocean Drive (1950) flak bins? (1 Viewer)

Nixterdemus

I watched the movie this morn. Several bins used and at the last it looks like Edmond O'Brien borrows a set of 7x35. Howevah, earlier in the flick, maybe halfway, they show several shots, front & back, of what appears to be short focal length flak bins. There was a close up of the oculars that look as the same design Barska 'borrowed' in there 20/40X100 astro bino bins.

It was too kewl as he was looking through the window of a house several hundred yards up and away from the horse track as his moll, Dorothy Patrick, was using her black gloves against the white background of her purse to relay the tote board odds.

https://op2.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff/o...ne-waterproof-jumbo-binoculars-ab10520-2a.jpg

Same oblong design for adjustable IPD and, at least on the Barska, removing the eyepiece holder revealing collimation adjustment. I presume the oculars in the movie didn't interchange and they were considerably taller.

Though someone else might have seen the movie and knew what they were. I hoped the movie was available free on Utube, but no dice.

Last edited:
Found the film online.
https://ffilms.org/711-ocean-drive-1950/

16:20-18:00 shows the somewhat massive bins w/90* oculars
1:34:25 "Better use your binoculars"
1:35:02 blurry though one handed you can see the larger size porro bins I suppose 50mm perhaps.
At 1:35:21-1:35:54 the two coppers on top of the dam looking down then our star borrows some smaller bins to look up.

Kinda kewl.

Last edited:
So much for youse bums being sleuths. Binastro notwithstanding.

The Desert Song (1943) has several shots of bins. In one close up scene towards the end three or four French Foreign Legion soldiers have cases strung around their neck using bins. One appeared to be a smaller reverse porro w/short objective extensions.

Then there's Sylvia Opert in a solo belly dance ...

The Desert Song 1:34:55 At 1:12:27 starts several shots of bins. At 1:13:32 what I thought might have been reverse porros. Though not they are very small for field glass. 1:14:28 more of the same shot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back