• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DC4 vs "Digital" Photo Adapter (1 Viewer)

jekatz

The DC4 looks like a great idea, the ultimate digiscoping unit permitting use of the scope as a scope and a camera. But at $1899.99 (binoculars.com) who will buy this thing?

I like to take pictures, and I want them to be technically decent (sharp, decent contrast; compostion is another issue) pictures I can take with equipment I can afford. Every DSLR out there takes super photos, but I can't afford a 600mm lens (I admit that I am an Olympus owner, and their glass is ridiculously expensive). I have tried the Zeiss Photo Adapter, but in my opinion it was way overpowered on a "crop" sensor and IQ suffered from low shutter speeds. Am I the only person who wishes Zeiss would release a "digital" photo adapter that would convert a 85mm scope into a 500mm/f6 lens? this would yield a useable 800mm/f6 FOV lens for most sensors, or a 1000mm/f6 FOV for my 4/3 sensor. Occasionally for more reach a teleconverter could be used.

Pros:
+compact and light: no need to carry a scope and a DSLR with a Bigma on it
+if you already own the scope it would cheaper than any 500mm lens out there
+it would be the fastest photo adapter available for any brand (f6 vs the current f12 versions; thats about a two stop difference!)
+lower magnification might yield higher quality photos (just a guess, I don't know anything about this)

Cons:
-manual focus only
-have to switch eyepieces to go from scope to camera or camera to scope
-no IS/VR/OIS, unless your sensor has it (like Pentax) but it would be tripod mounted anyway

I asked Steven Ingraham to pass this request on, but I don't expect much unless there is a demand from us for such a product...

Any thoughts?

Jon

My thoughts are that is this age of technology no one can commit to building a decent product because it could be obsolete in a couple of years...the DC4 is the greatest example...they only made 1,000 because they have to secure the "chips"(and etc) years in advance with no way to get these same items in the future...therefore they have to charge a crazy price so they don't lose $$$$....hopefully Zeiss could build the next DC 5???, make it more affordable and make more of them...I would guess 5,000 could easily be sold....I believe problems like this actually hinder people from pulling the trigger on purchases until they are desperate or $$$ isn't an issue .

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back