• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20x eyepiece on a 883 scope? (1 Viewer)

greg g

Has any one used the eyepieces TE-21WD 20x WA or a TSE-21WE 20x WA with an adapter on a 883 scope ? If so what have the results been for a wide FOV and close focus? Has the setup been user friendly?
Thanks, Greg

On review and comparison of these two eyepieces;
Kowa TSE-21 WD 20x WA for the 66 series
1. Relative Brightness 10.9
2. Exit Pupil 3.3 mm
3. AFOV 173’
4. Eye Relief 20 mm
Kowa TSE-21WE 21x WA for the 82 series
1. Relative Brightness 15.2
2. Exit Pupil 3.9 mm
3. AFOV 163’
4. Eye Relief 20 mm

How are these specs impacted or changed when attached to the 88 series spotting scope? What is interesting is the relative brightness difference. By looking at these figures is there any logical formula to translate into series 88 specs?
Thank you,
Greg

Greg,

These are probably both the same 21mm eyepiece design. The spec differences in magnification, exit pupil, TFOV (not AFOV, which is a constant 65-66 degrees) and Relative Brightness simply reflect the differences in the 66mm and 82mm scopes' apertures and focal lengths. On the 88 series (about 500mm focal length) these eyepieces would produce about 24x and the specs would change in response to that.

Relative Brightness 13.44
Exit Pupil 3.67mm
TFOV 143'

Henry

Henry,
I did get an opportunity to see these two eyepieces side by side on an 88 scope. They were a little different in profile but when looking thru them I couldn't really tell the difference. I did purchase the TSE-21WE that originally was for the 82 series scope. The adapter for both eyepieces to engage into the 88 makes them a screw-in eyepiece instead of a bayonet style. I compared the FOV with the eyepieces that are made for the 88 series, 25x and 30x, and this eyepiece has a wider field of view. It wasn't a lot enough that I wanted as part of the eyepiece set.
Greg

Greg,
I recently bought an 883 and put my 21we on it and am very pleased. My sony w300 with 3x works the way it should with no vignetting. Before the 21x I had an old zoom and used it most of the time at 20x on an 821 and had to zoom with an effective power about 40x. It is very nice to now have a wider view. It is also nice to focus at 15'-20'.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back