• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nkon Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith said:
I'll also throw in a plug for an angled model. If you share your views at all, this will help tremendously.

I am afraid, I can't agree with you on this point. My brother, who is also an avid birder is quite a bit taller than I am. We love to do some joint birding if time permits. Now, he recently switched to an angled model, which allows him to use a lighter weight tripod without sacrificing stability. Occasionally, when one of us has spotted something we look through the other scope for faster location of the object. But since he has his angled scope I have more problems to even get the full picture. And most of the time now, I don't even see what I am supposed to see. I find stretching myself plus angling my head is much more uncomfortable. Thus, the argument of a more universal use is only valid if the tall guys use their scope at a less than optimal height. It may be different for those who do not need glasses. In my case, the view I finally get is one through the close-focussing part of my glasses.

But, aside from this , I still think that angled lenses are themselves somewhat of a fashion thing. (Again, following the crowd, so to speak.) They are undoubtedly better for looking up into the sky. But they are a strain on my neck for all other purposes. In addition, as one looks into the lens, the other eye is directed towards the ground (in most cases). Whereas in straight models both eyes look into the same direction and the unaided one may detect something flying by or some other activity at the same time that the other one is scanning.

Well Robert, all was impressively logical until "... a fashion thing". Now, if you were a biggie and had neck problems (as many of us tall ones do), then you would know that angled scopes are a godsend. As for not finding the birds - well, you get used to it, as is the case with many things that are used regularly.

If I am with other birders who are shorter (and most are), then I do drop the scope down in case they want to look - and it is still comfortable. The very worst for me is the poorly designed hides (presumably designed by a shortie) where the viewing slot is so low as to be silly. I end up with a tension headache and all the other associated problems that brings.

As for "following the crowd" - with a Nikon? Only the few of us that are blessed with the gifts of perspicacity and discernment buy those. Surely you knew that already as a Nikon owner?

scampo said:
Well Robert, all was impressively logical until "... a fashion thing". Now, if you were a biggie and had neck problems (as many of us tall ones do), then you would know that angled scopes are a godsend. As for not finding the birds - well, you get used to it, as is the case with many things that are used regularly.

If I am with other birders who are shorter (and most are), then I do drop the scope down in case they want to look - and it is still comfortable. The very worst for me is the poorly designed hides (presumably designed by a shortie) where the viewing slot is so low as to be silly. I end up with a tension headache and all the other associated problems that brings.

As for "following the crowd" - with a Nikon? Only the few of us that are blessed with the gifts of perspicacity and discernment buy those. Surely you knew that already as a Nikon owner?

I got used to an angled scope fairly quickly, very handy for those of us over 6ft

william j clive said:
Interesting fact about the Leica 77 APO. Two of my birding friends have this scope, and very impressive it is, too. However one of them has twice had to return his two year old scope to have the objective lens coating replaced. The other friend has had the same problem and had the coating replaced once.

The problem is that the objective lens coating blisters or 'bubbles'. One of them has become somewhat paranoid about this and mentions it to every Leica user he meets. An inspection of the objective ensues and he has found some that have the same problem.

Apparently Leica have now signed an agreement with Pentax to use the Pentax super hard lens coating on Leica products. One can see why. Both my mates now have an expensive Leica (c£80) filter over the objective lens to try and prevent this happening again. The truth is that no matter how much you pay for your optics, not even Leica are bulletproof.

Looks like I have had more luck, so far. I have owned the Trinovid Apo 77 ever since it came out. Never had any problems. The only time something went wrong was when a heavy gust up at Masada in Israel threw my tripod over and the scope banged full force on the rock it was standing on. Apparently it hit the ground a bit sideways judging from a few scratches on the lens shade. The only thing that broke was the tripod attachment, but the optics did not need any repair whatsoever. I felt - and I still do - that this was a very good proof of quality for that model. But it is clear that I also had some luck, as my brother's angled Trinovid once fell onto its prism housing, and the whole component had to be replaced. It too fell full force on a rock.

pduxon said:
I got used to an angled scope fairly quickly, very handy for those of us over 6ft
And they don't make a straight through ES80, Pete, so I guess the guy at Opticron is one of us, too!

I'm 6'4" all but. Used to hate it when I was a teenager but wouldn't change it now - it means I can be 15 stones and have people still say I'm slim!

I reckon there as good as they come, really - what else from Leica? A bit too heavy and long if that matters, that's all. Super zoom lens.

pduxon said:

I was not talking about pointing the scope at the object. My brother also got accustomed quickly to that after he had switched to an angled scope. I was refering to the fact that I don't get to see the already focused bird because I have to stretch and angle at the same time. And then I get it only through the close-focus part of my glasses.

scampo said:
And they don't make a straight through ES80, Pete, so I guess the guy at Opticron is one of us, too!

I'm 6'4" all but. Used to hate it when I was a teenager but wouldn't change it now - it means I can be 15 stones and have people still say I'm slim!

Don't understand why they don't, they do with the HR and its cheaper.

You beat me for height but not for weight :C

scampo said:
". Now, if you were a biggie and had neck problems (as many of us tall ones do), then you would know that angled scopes are a godsend.

Steve, I can assure you that shorter people can also have neck problems. And in my case, it turns out that I do best if I can hold my head more or less horizontally.

My neck problems are also the reason that light-weight binoculars are high on my preferences-list, making it difficult to decide for a pair that would do better in dim light.

Swissboy,
Trying to stretch up to look down into an angle scope doesn't seem logical at all. The scope height should be set for the shorter viewer and then ole stretch can just lean over when he wants to look or alternatively do like I often do:
I set my scope on tripod for my height, then when others that might be considerably shorter (I'm just 5'8)want a look, I just loosen the housing lock and rotate the whole thing and then the eyepiece rolls way down. Takes just a second. Not sure if all models have this roll feature but the Nikon Fieldscope III does and it is handy.

And then for those times you're looking for a bird in the top of a high, close tree --- can't imagine this with a straight scope.

Anyway, these are personal decisions and one should always get what works best for him. For me and my wife, that's an angled scope.

I can only agree with Dave regarding personal choice. For myself, having owned a straight through scope for much of my birding life, I can now say that without the angled scope I wouldn't be using one hardly at all. It must depend upon the nature of the neck problem but, for me, looking downwards is easily the most comfortable. My brother still has my old straight-through and seems to get on well with it.

When standing upright (i.e. not in a hide) a correctly raised straight is also fine for me but this does seem less user friendly when others need to share the scope.

Last edited:
I've run into situations where a straight through has been the only usable scope. A good deal of my shorebirding is done in a protected area, over a high buffer of grasses. Angled scopes, unless you can somehow turn them upside down (try that one on your neck) just don't get you the height required. That said, I've switched to a 90 degree scope, so can't see in those situations at all. But stability is way up, as my tripod is a good foot lower. If I really find I'm going to miss too much good viewing, I can buy 60 degree or even straight through prisms/mirrors for my Televue. Another bonus for a terrific product.

Art,
The Nikon can be rolled in its housing 90 deg. so that the eyepiece is on the same horizontal plane as the scope. This will take care of those instances you mention for shorebirding.

Dave B Smith said:
Swissboy,
I just loosen the housing lock and rotate the whole thing and then the eyepiece rolls way down. Takes just a second.
And then for those times you're looking for a bird in the top of a high, close tree --- can't imagine this with a straight scope.

Yes Dave, that tree situation is a problem with a straight scope, but I am not that much of a forest birder. The idea of rolling the scope is good, I think most angled scopes have that feature, so I'll try it next time I am out with my brother.

Art Thorn said:
That's a great feature. Is that the 82 only, or do the others allow that as well? Another challenge to waterproofing!

The rotation feature does not affect the optical system. It goes around the scope barrel, and therefore, there is no extra problem keeping such a scope waterproof.

My son's Swarovski 65 in its Skua case is just like that - and to focus you have to virtually remove the centre portion of the sleeve. Good old Nikon - on the ED82, the case easily allows adjustment of scope rotation and focusing.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back