• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On Canvas (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
I visited the Zeiss digiscoping stand at the birdfair and was absolutley bowled over by the photos printed on canvas. No messing around with frames, photos printed direct and part of the image wrapped round the sides. The effect was something else. If you have any photos which you may have been considering enlarging and mounting then this method treating them like a painting could be a very desirable alterantive. Let me stress also there was no loss in image quality.

I was talking to Paul (Hackett) about this and fair enough he explained how it was all done but I cannot recall all the details or cost. What I can remember is the to do this what is required are high quality jpegs before any processing as that will be done in the process of the preparation for printing. Perhaps if Paul picks up on this thread then he will explain for the benefit of all what is involved and how much.

What I would like to repeat is that this printing on canvas looked a heck of a lot better than mere enlargement and mounting.

Well, you can buy canvas "paper" for inkjet printers. It usually comes in rolls and usually in large sizes for large-format printers (i.e. even larger than the wide 13" semi-pro printers like the Epson 2400). But I think you can get it in letter-sized sheets, or of course you could cut stock down. Since it is canvas, when you print on it it looks kind of like a painting. I don't really think there are any other "secrets" or special techniques involved.

Unlike glossy photo-type paper, it seems that matte paper is much more forgiving in how it matches up with a particular manufacturers printers. I mean that for example, with glossy, Epson printers usually do best with Epson paper. But with matte finish (including canvas), most high-quality paper looks good with most manufacturers' printers. Longevity and fading may be an issue, however, I think.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back