• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32's....Cabelas Euro HD/Gold Ring HD (1 Viewer)

jgraider

First impressions, FWIW, from a very unscientific viewer are very positive. Very sharp, very ergonomic, lightweight, great build, hinge tightness just right, focuser a touch stiff (it is new after all), wish the diopter would lock but probably won't be an issue. Objective tethers fit very well....maybe Meopta tightened them up a little? They won't shake loose I know that. Rainguard fits great. Looks like a first rate product. I've got a killer pair of 8x32 Gold Ring HD's to compare it to and will post 'em up later.

I spent a couple of hours with both this evening. I just got the euro this afternoon so it was a good way to familiarize myself with it. Remember this is one man's opinion, using 52yr old eyes. I don't know how else to do it, so I'll just lay it out there like this:

Ergos: Euro is smaller, lighter, more compact, eyepieces on the smaller side of what I'm used to, very comfortable. GR is bulkier, larger eyecups, heavier.

Focus: GR is butter smooth and larger, Euro a little tighter (as mentioned earlier). Both work well, slightly easier to get sharp focus with Euro, but close.

Eye Relief: GR is set all the way out and it's just right. I found the Euro's to be a smidge on the short side, but an easy fix. I unscrewed the eyepiece, made up a homemade gasket, and screwed the eyepiece back in. Immediately I knew it worked, no more blackouts whatsoever (it was very slight anyway in the first place), a perfectly easy fix. If the eyecups on the Euro were any smaller I wouldn't like it.

Build Quality: Both are excellent. You can tell it the second you pick them up, work the hinges, focuser, etc. I'd call them both top notch and should last a long time. I wouldn't be afraid to use them extremely hard.

Glass: Obviously an important attribute, but as many here know, and have said many times including myself.....wringing out the last bit of optical excellence is an expensive proposition, and really not worth the expense to me. These two binos prove it again. I'd call the GR view a little "warm" ( I think that's the term). Put it this way, whatever coatings the GR has makes things appear to be ever so slightly less vivid. It's hardly a poor view. In fact I'd call it outstanding. The Euro is slightly brighter though. When I got both images sharp, they are both very sharp, but the Euro is slightly sharper. Splitting hairs but it's there. The FOV is wider in the Euro, but both seem fine to me. The image through the Euro is sharp almost to the very edge, and provides a little flatter image than the GR. I'd guess the ever so slight edge in optical performance in the Euro is simply due to the latest and greatest coatings,etc, as the GR is probably 6-8 year old stuff. Make no mistake though, the GR is outstanding still, and you won't see something through one that you can't see with the other.

Overall, very impressed with the Euro HD. Looks like a home run to me. The only thing I'd change is make the eyecups just very slightly larger. The GR HD will do everything a hunter could ask for also BTW.

I'll try to answer any questions you guys may have if I can. Hopefully this will be helpful to some of you guys.

That sounds very encouraging.

The Meopta Meostar 8x32 is a model I've tried a few times and it's tempted me greatly. I don't have a problem with parallel tube models but the Meopta just feels shaped perfectly for my hands. I normally wear glasses so the ER and small eye cups are not an issue for me. What I felt was needed was just a little more chrispness in the view. I'm not suggestion the non-HD was bad, just perhaps unexceptional. I've compared it to the Vortex Viper HD which is no slouch and judged it roughly the same. However when when I compared the HD 10x42 to the standard when it came out it had jumped from a good second tier binocular to alpha class in my opinion. If there is the same transformation in the 8x32 I suspect you have something just a bit special. Congratulations!

Look forward to further updates.

David

Last edited:
Thanks for that review, jg. Glad you found a fix for the ER/blackout problem. I had blackout issues with the Vixen 7x50 Foresta, and had the opposite problem with the eyecups size, which was too big, Fortunately, replacing the original eyecups with Swarovski winged eyecups solved both problems.

With the Meopta 8x32, I anticipate from the dimensions that I'm probably going to run out of bin before I run out of hand. Had the same problem with the 8x30 EII, but overcame that by adding Bushwackers. It appears that the stubby barrels on the Meopta might just be long enough to take a pair of Bushwackers.

Since the GRs were rated highly by owners and allbinos, and the Meopta HDs are a bit sharper than the GRs, that would make them competitors with the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD. Not sure if its the midsized model, but several Zeiss Conquest HD owners/testers have reported problems with blackouts, saying that the eyecups were a bit short. I wonder if the Zeiss eyecups screw out and if the problem could be remedied with a gasket?

I can't figure out why Meopta doesn't have its own forum rather than being relegated to the "Other" category. Kowa has its own forum, and they only make four bins! Two in each line. Meopta makes a seven configurations in the Meostar line (six now since it appears the 7x42 has bit the dust), plus there are Cabela's Euros, and the Meopros.

Brock

Good point brock. In reading lots of your post regarding your big hands....the Euro's are on the small side, so ergo-speaking....not sure how you'd get along with them. The view is great though. I've heard the same thing in the ER department about the Conquest HD's, but haven't actually had one in hand. I can't imagine the view being much better, if at all. Meopta glass is first rate, including spotters, riflescopes, and the HD binos.

I have big mitts too and I loved the ergos of the non-HD Meostars. If these are basically the same design but with ED glass utilized then I wouldn't have a problem with them.

JG,

Any pics you are willing to share?

With the Meopta 8x32, I anticipate from the dimensions that I'm probably going to run out of bin before I run out of hand. Had the same problem with the 8x30 EII, but overcame that by adding Bushwackers. It appears that the stubby barrels on the Meopta might just be long enough to take a pair of Bushwackers.

Took a couple of pics with known entities for comparison. Thought some of you you might like the background as well. :t:
It's the Meostar 8x32, the Nikon E II 8x30 and the Zeiss FL 10x32.
The fourth image shows how the sleek barrels provide plenty space for the thumb, and how the focus knob can be gripped between the thumb and the index finger. My IPD is 67, which is somewhat helpful for performing this action.

//L

I should also mention that this is how I hold binoculars - 90 degrees vs. the optical axises and not slanted. The thumb is near the center of the short roofs (right in the middle between the ocular end and the objective). Thumb indents are useless for me.

Attachments

• DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 183
  • DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
jgraider,

I'm dying to know more about the colour balance of the Euro. If there's one thing about the Meostar I'm less content with, it's the slightly yellowish cast of the image.
It is about the level of the (original) Conquest 8x30.
Skip the comparison with the Leupold and just look at various objects outside, if the blue is rendered vividly and if the whites look neutral or a bit "creamy".

Thanks in advance,

//L

I have big mitts too and I loved the ergos of the non-HD Meostars. If these are basically the same design but with ED glass utilized then I wouldn't have a problem with them.

JG,

Any pics you are willing to share?

Hopefully this will help some. Maybe I can snap a few more if you guys tell me what you're looking for.

photo1_zps1e0a4a55.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo3_zps3ef86978.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo2_zpsc2c0a365.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo4_zps7e6dbb67.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo5_zps486e86f2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jgraider,

I'm dying to know more about the colour balance of the Euro. If there's one thing about the Meostar I'm less content with, it's the slightly yellowish cast of the image.
It is about the level of the (original) Conquest 8x30.
Skip the comparison with the Leupold and just look at various objects outside, if the blue is rendered vividly and if the whites look neutral or a bit "creamy".

Thanks in advance,

//L

Thanks for the tips looksharpe. As I said in my disclaimer, I'm not the technical expert you guys are. That being said, I cannot see any color bias at all, none. There is definitely no yellow cast or tint, and most definitely not a cool, blue tint. It appears very neutral to me. The whites are indeed very white, the reds very red, the blues very blue, greens very green, etc, etc.

Thank you very much! I might be in the market for exchanging the older Meopta once the HD comes with the manufacturer's own name badge.

I'm quite sensitive about colour bias and prefer a perfectly neutral or slightly red bias (Nikon, Leica?) over yellow, green, brown, purple and blue biases.
But I find myself grabbing the Meopta 8x32 more often than not which says something about its other virtues, like the ergonomics and outer dimensions.

//L

Me too the reports of yellow bias have always turned me off the Meostars, even though the 8x32 looks like my ideal bin in many ways. I had a pair of Alpen Rainier 8x32 that are physically virtual twins of the Leupy GR. They were a delight optically and had an amazing focus knob but the giant oculars/eyecups and yellow bias came to annoy me too much. I actually prefer smaller eyecups so I can rest them in my sockets. If the HD has neutralized the color with improved coatings and upped the sharpness I'm very intrigued.

Thanks for that review, jg. Glad you found a fix for the ER/blackout problem. I had blackout issues with the Vixen 7x50 Foresta, and had the opposite problem with the eyecups size, which was too big, Fortunately, replacing the original eyecups with Swarovski winged eyecups solved both problems.

Since the GRs were rated highly by owners and allbinos, and the Meopta HDs are a bit sharper than the GRs, that would make them competitors with the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD. Not sure if its the midsized model, but several Zeiss Conquest HD owners/testers have reported problems with blackouts, saying that the eyecups were a bit short. I wonder if the Zeiss eyecups screw out and if the problem could be remedied with a gasket?

I can't figure out why Meopta doesn't have its own forum rather than being relegated to the "Other" category. Kowa has its own forum, and they only make four bins! Two in each line. Meopta makes a seven configurations in the Meostar line (six now since it appears the 7x42 has bit the dust), plus there are Cabela's Euros, and the Meopros.

Brock

Just an FYI, but the MeoStar B1 7x42 has not yet "bit the dust" :)
It is still in production and available for purchase.
Thanks!

Thanks!

I am waiting for this one to be upgraded to HD like the others. Any plans for this? Till then, the cash will stay in my pocket.

CG

The problem is that the HD versions appear to have fixed the yellow color bias of the original Meostars. I think this is why many are clamoring for the HD update to other models (in addition to the other apparent improvements in sharpness and clarity).

The problem is that the HD versions appear to have fixed the yellow color bias of the original Meostars. I think this is why many are clamoring for the HD update to other models (in addition to the other apparent improvements in sharpness and clarity).

exactly!

CG

Thanks!

But not as an HD model. Of course, 7x usually doesn't produce much CA, but ED glass does more than just supress CA, it enhances image sharpness by getting colors to focus at the same point (or at least closer than an achromat) and it increases contrast.

One complaint I've read about the Meopta B1 repeatedly is that it's not up to par with some other roofs at the same price point in terms of contrast. Also that it has a slight yellow cast. Good for hunting, but not optimal for birding like the more color neutral 8x32 model.

I would like to see a 7x42 Meopta HD (with a smooth, not stiff, focuser). Then I too would be a Meopta man.

Brock

Last edited:
There are obviously definite advanteges to HD optics in a 7x42.
Unfortunately, the demand for this configuration is much, much, much lower down the chain than 10x42, 8x32, 10x50, etc....
I mean across all markets, not only birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back