• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (3 Viewers)

Yes!

Does sound disappointing........unless the SX60 tested was a pre-production version and things have improved with the SX60s in the shops now?

Sim Lin Mall is the place to go for choices in Singapore Robert. I got my GH3 there. I guess you'll be heading out to the Singei Buloh Wetlands. A good place to test out the SX60.
Neil

I am a Singaporean and Sim Lim Square is a bad place to go for electronic now. Here is one article on it (http://exchersonesusaurea.blogspot.sg/2012/09/where-singapore-scammers-thugs-and.html). Even Singaporeans don't like to go Sim Lim Square now (it quite deserted)

If you really want to buy in Singapore, go to Funan Mall. Mscolor, alan photo, Cathay photo, Tk photo are usually those recommended in Singapore.

But Singaporean like to go HK or US to buy camera and lens as Singapore price is expensive. Not sure why you want to buy in Singapore

eglobalcentral.eu will not deliver to the UK (I checked). They say UK users must use their UK site (which is managed separately): eglobalcentral.co.uk

The price on their UK website is £325, which is £25 more than the EU website! But still a very good price. I checked and there is definitely no import duty/tax to be paid. Only downside is that warranty repairs involve posting the camera to their Hong Kong address.

If you look on trustpilot, eglobalcentral seem to get pretty good ratings. Might be worth a punt to save money cf. normal UK prices such as Wex.

More expensive are Digital Rev for £359. I believe they have quick delivery and and a good reputation? I have never used them so I happy to be contradicted.

I ordered a canon sx 60 from digital rev 8.30 Monday night it arrived dinner time today ,very impressed,you are able to track you order all the way from hong kong

I'm seeing more and more comments on line on blogs and camera discussion forums about the SX60 not being an upgrade to the SX50 but would probably be upgrade from the SX40.

Comments that matter to me are the less effective image stabilization than the SX50, slower focus at high zoom, inaccurate focus at high zoom. Since most of my bird photography I do at the max zoom, this is not sounding like an upgrade to me. I read a review yesterday about same shot comparisons at high zoom, the SX50 is providing better still photo results than the SX60 does.

For me video is not necessary. I don't need it or ever use it. And Wifi to my tablet is also totally a waste of money. USB to my computer is what I would continue to use. I'd never put full resolution photos on my tablet. Waste of space just for casual viewing.

As an SX50 user, those are just some tentative conclusions that I've been coming to on the SX60.

I'd add that the SX40 actually has better low light capability than the SX50. It was quite noticeable to me when I upgraded from the SX40 to the SX50. Anyone using the SX40 will need to consider that the SX60 will also be less capable in that regard.

Last edited:
about six months ago I read that Canon would be taking a new direction with the SX60 - I was hoping for a larger sensor even if it meant double the size/weight. The SX60 still has a tiny sensor which for me rules it out as AF and IQ will always be compromised.
BTW I owned both the SX40 and then the SX50 but got rid of them both as they were just not up to it for me, I cannot see the SX60 being any better.

Last edited:
BTW I owned both the SX40 and then the SX50 but got rid of them both as they were just not up to it for me, I cannot see the SX60 being any better.
So did you ever settle on a superzoom bridge camera, or did you go another direction?

I've been rather impressed by Niel's photos, but my threshold might be oddly low too, given my current setup. Maybe I'm just missing something?

I saw an interesting set of posts elsewhere that pointed out, quite rightly, that every review of IQ (SX50 vs SX60) on the web is being unfair because they are not properly taking into account the resolution difference.

So if I'm currently on an old, old, OLD camera and want digiscoping-like zooms, is the SX60 really a "bad camera"?

So if I'm currently on an old, old, OLD camera and want digiscoping-like zooms, is the SX60 really a "bad camera"?

It's sounding like to me that the SX60 is not an improvement over the SX50 for the main things that birders want to do with a big zoom bridge camera. That is take nice photos, though not DSLR quality, for close ups and big zoom to make an ID on something very far away.

If I were you I'd get the SX50. There are still plenty out there in the channels, internet especially, and the SX50 costs a lot less than the SX60 currently costs.

No, I went back to the DSLR set-up although I do not snap many birds these days due to the weight.
The weight is a main factor for me. And the silence of a bridge camera. A third possible factor is the "intimidation" of shy birds caused by XXL cameras. ;)

sx60 has much better EVF & LCD, brighter even, from what i've read, this means a lot to me, I used my friend's sx50 and the EVF&LCD just turned me down, and I just waited one year patiently for sx60 to come, image quality & usability? too early to judge because only few people has it so far.

I don't own it yet, there are sample photos at mobile01.com, a taiwan site, the original photos are not sharp at pixel level by any means, but i resized and sharped them myself, the results look much more usable,good enough for me.

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=15734

Attachments

• mobile01-1067bb584bd14e828f0c72bb23b63992.jpg
    mobile01-1067bb584bd14e828f0c72bb23b63992.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 261
  • mobile01-78782717c6ed3d137727c8893562a4cb.jpg
    mobile01-78782717c6ed3d137727c8893562a4cb.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 242
Another interesting review of the SX60 here:

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/canon-powershot-sx60-hs-digital-camera-review

They are critical of the IQ at the far end of the telephoto range (where we bird photographers will be operating).

Otherwise, they say the SX60 is better than the SX50 in many ways - eg generally quicker and more responsive (except AF at 1300mm end!), better EVF, better rear screen, some ergonomic improvements....

But if IQ at max zoom is important to you - you may be better off sticking with the SX50 !

Still undecided myself - will await more reviews of the SX60 and in the meantime will stick with the SX50.

But if IQ at max zoom is important to you - you may be better off sticking with the SX50 !

Still undecided myself - will await more reviews of the SX60 and in the meantime will stick with the SX50.
Two salient points, but then again, I've read that having it on a tripod for the far end of the zoom works well, which would be no different than I do digiscoping now. That fact that I can hand-hold at slightly less zoom makes it a huge improvement!

And you did hit on something most of the views seems to hint at (and I've read everything I can find on Google), if not directly say...it's not much of an upgrade from the SX50. But it might be worth it overall if you're buying now and deciding between the SX50, SX60, and it's competitors.

Two more weeks and it'll hit the streets in the USA, and we'll all benefit by the buyers that rush right out and get one. :)

Hi, I'm new to the forum and got into bridge cameras for the purpose of id'ing and studying birds. I was not, and am not now an accomplished photographer, but transitioning from the SX30 to the SX50 was a huge leap for me, actually allowing me to get some images that border on good.
My only real complaint with the SX50 is the horrible EVF. It's so bad I bought several other super-zooms, but ended up returning them when image quality or speed didn't compare to the Canon. Eventually, I resigned myself to missing lots of shots (incorrectly guessing where the subject is) and waiting for the SX60. I received one last week and am not happy to say I'll be returning it. The EVF is indeed better, but after taking hundreds of shots I have yet to take one I'm happy with. IS seems almost non-existent unless the frame-assist is engaged, and even then it's shaky. Auto-focus is poor as well (across the entire zoom range) even set on "pinpoint" with a stationary subject.
My first impression was that I must have received a defective camera, but after reading of others' experiences I'm not hopeful that's the case. I can't describe how disappointing this is....I'd have paid 500 dollars just to retrofit my SX50 with a better, brighter EVF. Now it seems I'll be guessing where the bird is forever...rats.

Perhaps Canon will get things right with the SX70 !!

(ie in another year or two!)

Anyway, will be interested to hear more hands-on reports from other early adopters of the SX60............

Hi, I'm new to the forum and got into bridge cameras for the purpose of id'ing and studying birds. I was not, and am not now an accomplished photographer, but transitioning from the SX30 to the SX50 was a huge leap for me, actually allowing me to get some images that border on good.
My only real complaint with the SX50 is the horrible EVF. It's so bad I bought several other super-zooms, but ended up returning them when image quality or speed didn't compare to the Canon. Eventually, I resigned myself to missing lots of shots (incorrectly guessing where the subject is) and waiting for the SX60. I received one last week and am not happy to say I'll be returning it. The EVF is indeed better, but after taking hundreds of shots I have yet to take one I'm happy with. IS seems almost non-existent unless the frame-assist is engaged, and even then it's shaky. Auto-focus is poor as well (across the entire zoom range) even set on "pinpoint" with a stationary subject.
My first impression was that I must have received a defective camera, but after reading of others' experiences I'm not hopeful that's the case. I can't describe how disappointing this is....I'd have paid 500 dollars just to retrofit my SX50 with a better, brighter EVF. Now it seems I'll be guessing where the bird is forever...rats.

Good grief. I was hoping that this would be the camera that would let me leave my SLR at home sometimes, especially when hiking up mountains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back