• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How long to keep out feeders (1 Viewer)

aimeerose72

Hello there!
I live in Ohio, near Dayton and am wondering with winter soon approaching (in Ohio it could happen anytime!) How long should I keep my hummingbird feeders out?
Thank you!

The rule of thumb here in Pennsylvania is to keep your hummingbird feeders up until Thanksgiving.

The reason for this is for vagrant western species. Here we have had Rufous, Allen's, Calliope and Black-chinned hummingbirds in the fall. And an Anna's Hummingbird that stayed well in to the winter.

The hummingbirds will not delay their migration just because of your feeder.

I appreciate your response. With so many opinions and expertise in birding, it can be difficult for a newbie like myself to know what is best..
I didnt expect the hummingbirds to delay migration due to my feeder..? I just wanted to know a timeline is all.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FYI, when the Anna's stayed into the winter here in PA, they needed to use heat lamps to keep the sugar solution from freezing!

I keep ours up all year round. It gets cold in the high desert but the feeder never freezes and gets the morning sun so all is good. I read somewhere that it won't interfere with migration, also see someone else noted that as well. We get Anna's all year round. Just keep an eye on your feeder and see if it's okay with the temp's in your location.

Last edited:
I keep at least one feeder up thru out the winter. We do have western species over wintering here, although I haven't seen one yet.

Hi Aimee. I keep one feeder up throughout the winter and on nights that go below freezing, I turn a flood light, which is directly over it, on for the sub freezing temps times. Sugar water though freezes at a lower temperature. I've been rewarded on more than one occasion ;)

wow! thank you all for the wonderful tips!! my feeders are still up in hopes of seeing some more hummies

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you to the OP for asking this and all the great responses. I was wondering this myself. We don't get many subfreezing nights/days here in AL. I'll just have to look out for the freezing times and bring the feeders in if it looks like it might freeze. I'd hate to deny a wintering Hummingbird.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back