• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion Mark IV Zoom & Pentax PF-65ED Spotting Scope ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Anybody out there who can verify that the new updated Mark IV Zoom will now focus to infinity in the little Pentax 65 ?

Anybody out there who can verify that the new updated Mark IV Zoom will now focus to infinity in the little Pentax 65 ?

According to Baader, you get an extra 4mm of back focus. Judging by my experience with my Pentax scopes, It should be enough.

Yes,I would agree ..Those 4mm back focus should be enough to reach infinity focus with the pentax 65,and many other spotters..I use a modified mk III with my 823 and I am very happy. Image quality and FOV rivals any good fixed power eyepiece,so for me the zoom versus fixed debate is now over...Mine is a home repaired unit and although still works fine,has some dust inside visible between 24 and 20mm ,not a problem for now,but i will buy the mk IV as a replacement if i ever need to..

Probably not...

I was also curious about this but at CN someone told that sold his Mark IV since it didn't reach focus on a PF-65...

Last edited:
I forgot that the pf65 has a stop at the bottom of the collar,that prevents some eyepieces to fit all way down and sit on the collar..the pentax xf zoom,has some grooves at the bottom to fit this feature and allows for a perfect fit..I had to cut a little notch on the bottom of the older swaro astro version zoom to allow forinfinity focus..i wonder if this could be the cause..it would have a very easy solution..It is very strange though,because there is a report of a slightly modified baader mk iii reaching focus on the pf 65,so if baader improved the fit of the hardware on the mk iv it should work,at least at 20mm

Last edited:
I forgot that the pf65 has a stop at the bottom of the collar,that prevents some eyepieces to fit all way down and sit on the collar..the pentax xf zoom,has some grooves at the bottom to fit this feature and allows for a perfect fit..I had to cut a little notch on the bottom of the older swaro astro version zoom to allow forinfinity focus..i wonder if this could be the cause..it would have a very easy solution..It is very strange though,because there is a report of a slightly modified baader mk iii reaching focus on the pf 65,so if baader improved the fit of the hardware on the mk iv it should work,at least at 20mm

Lately my curiosity has been causing my checking account balance to dwindle with the recent purchases of binocular/eyepieces, I might just have to order one to see for myself while I still have a Pentax 65EDAII in my possession.

I thought about trying this EP but looks like I will let the Pentax go since I picked up a new scope. This is an email I received from Baader about the fit with Pentax 65. Seems that it should work.

We could not test it with every spotting scope on the market, but if you use the included spotting scope ring and the included 1,25" barrel, there should be no problem - the Pentax is designed for the 1.25"-standard, and the Hyperion Zoom works with all similar spotting scopes which we have tested. If the Pentax 65 works with any 1,25" eyepiece, then the Hyperion should work fine, too.

Any updates with actual experience using the Mark IV zoom? I have the Pentax 80 for which I also modified the Mark III zoom to address the back focus issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back