• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which is the best 8x42 binocular (zeiss, leica, swarovski) (1 Viewer)

batvenci

Hello everybody, I am considering buying an 8x42 binocular for nature observing and I want to know which will give more pleasing views and wow factor- zeiss ht 8x42, zeiss sf 8x42, leica noctvid 8x42 or swarovision 8.5x42?
Which is better in terms of brightness, sharpness, clarity and contrast?
I read that many said that zeiss ht 8x42 has very high wow factor, is it the best choice?
Many thanks!

These are all very, very good binoculars. Only YOU can decide which one works best for you.

In other words: There is no answer to your question. It's all a matter of personal preferences.

Hermann

Also, not to resurrect the 'death of alpha' debate topic, but enough people are saying that there are midrange optics available that come nearly imperceptibly close to the performance of the top 3 that it might be worth looking through a few of those before committing to one of the alpha brands. After a lot of lurking and research, its what I ended up doing (I'm having a midrange binocular demo shipped to me to try out, and will compare to the Leica NV line.)

What Hermann said is right. However, most would probably claim that the Swarovision EL 8.5x42 are the best birding binocular available for most people. The question is, are you "most people" and are you willing to pay that kind of premium for a set of binoculars without putting eyes in them first?

One thing to be aware of when looking at the alphas:
- Do the optics use field flattening? This is one major difference in optics design and is a matter of preference. The 'best' birding binocular has it.

You should add the Nikon 8x42 EDG to your list.

I have the Leica Ultravid 8x42, Zeiss HT 8x42 and Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42, my favorite is the Swarovski. I haven't tried the Noctivid, Zeiss SF or the EDG.

Hi Bat
I'm in a very similar position to you at the moment. Build quality is excellent on all of these. For me though by process of elimination it would come down to the HT and SV. I think the ergonomics and the view through both of these are fantabulous.

Fazal
Can you tell me what in particular you prefer about the Swarovski over the HT? I'd be interested to know.

My own predicament is the 8x42HT or 8x32SV. I don't yet have a clear front runner!!

Thank you all of us for the very useful experience. Having no information about leica noctvid 8x42 I will reduce my choice to swarovision 8.5x42 and zeiss ht 8x42. Which will give more wow, higher transmission and clarity? Which is closer in view to the best wow 10x50 swarovision? Many thanks!

The most wow binocular of your group is the Zeiss 8x42 SF because of it's big FOV. I would personally stay away from Swarovski. Even though the optics are good the focus is not near as smooth as the Zeiss.

There seems to be a stream of these threads lately asking if A is better than B or C, the truth is only the end user can decide after a good long try with each.

I`d be happy with anyone of them, but have chosen the SV FP as suiting me the best, asking for recommendations of what to try at a particular budget can be worthwhile, asking this forum which is best, is certainly not worthwhile IMHO.

Fazal
Can you tell me what in particular you prefer about the Swarovski over the HT? I'd be interested to know.

The edge-to-edge sharpness of the EL SV and flatness of field. I am not sensitive to the rolling-ball effect, if you are, the Zeiss SF may be a better option, as they have the flattener lens, but not fully corrected so as to reduce rolling ball, and of course the larger AFOV, balance and ergonomics.

I don't know if there still are first-generation SFs available, but the special prices (sometimes as low as $1500) were an incredible bargain.

Thanks Fazal,

I prefer the HT over the SF anyhow. And the grey SF must be the worst colour combo I've seen for a while.

In reality we need a cupboard in our houses with a whole range of alphas......next to the single malts!!

I prefer the HT over the SF anyhow.

I am curious why. For the slightly higher transmission, the Abbe-König prisms or because you dislike the open-bridge design of the SL?

And the grey SF must be the worst colour combo I've seen for a while.

Yes, and it's puzzling considering that's the color they use for their cheaper made-in-China Terra line. I prefer Swarovski hunter green to either black or gray, however.

My Leica 8x42 Ultravid BL is actually my favorite, not because of its optical quality (it's actually the worst 8x42 I own) but because of the haptics of the leather-covered body and light weight make it a pleasure to hold.

Keep in mind the Swarovski EL SV 8x32 have a reputation for poor flare control (one thing Leica is very good at is baffles). I personally am retiring my Leica 8x32 UV HD, the new Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket are almost as good (7.5º vs 7.7º, just a little dimmer) for half the weight.

I've tried both side by side and can't see how the view from the SF is worth an extra £500. Completely overpriced when compared with the HT.
I don't think the view on the SF is any better, just different. Re the open bridge and flat field..... I'd still prefer the SV 8x32FP to the SF.

I think the color is pretty much irrelevant, since binoculars are meant to be looked through, rather than at.

I agree, the color of any binocular is not important when judging the important decision of a very expensive optic.

Zeiss sells way more of the SF model, than the HT. The SF is the top
of their line. It is the same at Swarovski, the Swarovision is the ace.

Edited.

Colour and aesthetics are always important. That's why they changed it to black. If you don't like the colour of a car you're not going to buy it. Colour of any product provides important visual appeal it's one of the first thing the human brains decide upon. Manufacturers are acutely aware of this. So away back to your caves!

Zeiss hands down....whichever model you prefer......but some folks like to be different or maintain brand loyalty...and that's fine....but Zeiss has it all....optics...style....warranty....service... :smoke:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back