• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting scopes (1 Viewer)

Al Streit

Any advice on spotting scopes?

I've gone through a few binoculars but find i use one eye only - due to a problem with the other eye. Though i see pretty well with both, the slight haziness in one gets in the way of seeing clearly with both.

This is OK with me, but i need a spotting scope to concentrate better with the sharp eye.

I'm looking for a cheap one. Is weight a big problem? The ones i've hefted in stores are light.

:cat:

Spotting scopes are usually the ones at the lower end of the market in terms of objective lense so weight is not really a problem, it is only as you go up to the bigger ones that weight can come into it (but then its the tripod that weighs a lot rather than the scope).

I honestly cannot recomend a smaller scope as I havenot used one for a long while (I use a meaty Optolyth TBS80, and not one of your new fance flurolite filled ones either), but I can say test them all in varying lights until you find one that suits your needs (and price).

Al,
Welcome to Bird Forum. I am sure that you will find lots of interesting people and subjects here.
I am not sure how much you know about scopes in general, angled or straight, fluorite glass, zoom eyepiece, etc., but there was another early thread which you may find of interest and I posted some tips on getting a first scope among many other useful pieces of advice contributed by many other members. The thread is at

http://www.birdforum.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73

Colin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back