• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (1 Viewer)

Hope you are recovering from your ordeal.It is ridiculous that people can't do their work,for fear of Idiots like this going around.I hope the Police catch the scum.

spoke to a controller in our office today, she told me robberies are becoming more frequent ,people don't know about them because they don't end up in the press,the great northern diver was seen by a couple of birders today ,still at monikie

I went to see the Iceland gull at stobswell pond today,its been here since Saturday,it was perched on a rooftop across from the ponds when I arrived,i had to sacrifice a packet of wotzits to get it to land on the water,the Iceland gull didn,t go for the food I think it was the activity of the herring gulls that attracted it,best views I have ever had of an Iceland gull ,worth going for,there are 4 goosanders here 1m/3f,when the black headed gulls were feeding the goosanders were coming within 5 feet,i have never known them to come so close,goosanders are also on clatto/trottick/monkie water,the great northern diver is still at monikie,thats a whole week,it is attracting a lot of attention,between here and the stobswell gull I have never see so many long lenses in Dundee,pochards are still at monikie along with little grebes/wigeon and displaying goldeneyes,i got a couple of new birds for my year list at Arbroath,a flock of purple sandpipers were to the right of the harbour plus I seen my first fulmars of the year,there was a dead grey squirrel on the road in the technology park ,cant remember the last time I saw a live one ,long live the reds

Attachments

• icegull.jpg
    icegull.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 43
  • icegull2.jpg
    icegull2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 42
  • icegull5.jpg
    icegull5.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 48
  • goosander.JPG
    goosander.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 45
  • goosander2.JPG
    goosander2.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 39
Hi, does anyone know what the max number of Surf Scoters has been at Ruddons Point? Peaked at quite a few IIRC..
Thanks in advance.

An interesting day out in Fife today with Barry Farquharson, we headed straight down to Ruddon's Point and managed to see the female King Eider with the help of a couple of local Birders...thanks Cathy & Kim.
Decent views of this bird as it bobbed about with some common Eider not far offshore.
we also had a Stonechat and quite superb views of Skylarks here.
Next stop was along the road to Buckhaven to look for Mediterranean Gull...usually a dead cert.........unless it's me that is looking.
Sure enough not a gull to be seen...... did pick up a couple of Slavonian grebes, several Red-throated Divers and around thirty Long-tailed Ducks .
We headed up the road to Newburgh next and quite quickly found the ring-billed gull sitting on a bouy out in the river , surprisingly no other birders were there..... almost like an Aberdeenshire twitch really !
After that we headed across to Balgove Bay at St Andrews where Barry knew some Brent geese would be, I haven;t seen any this year yet so it was great to see a group of them in a field at fairly close range .....
a great day out !

Attachments

• king eider female 016.jpg
    king eider female 016.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 63
  • king eider female 032.jpg
    king eider female 032.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hi, does anyone know what the max number of Surf Scoters has been at Ruddons Point? Peaked at quite a few IIRC..
Thanks in advance.

Hi, no one able to give me an idea? Not been for a looong time but I seen to remember it built into good numbers?
TIA M.

British record was actually in Lothian at Gosford Bay: 10 on 13th April 1989 (per Birds of Scotland).
Most I have seen at Ruddons is probably 5 (same in St Andrews Bay).

Rob

Trip into Fife today.

Ring billed gull still at Newburgh (favouring the green buoy in the Tay and also loves bread).
Firecrest still present at the old quarry near Letham. also had several goldcrests, bullfinches and a single barnacle goose flew around then overhead.
Letham pools had plenty of greylags and pinkfooted geese, as well as curlew, lapwing, wigeon and coots.

a large flock of bar tailed godwits were feeding at tay port shoreline today, a sizeable flock of dunlin were also present, the dunlins were feeding close to the road and could be heard calling while making there way through the mud,a brand new hide has been erected at Morton lochs,the hide is beside the Christie hide and is facing into the forest, it overlooks a feeder which seems to have a red squirrel permanently glued to it, great views of great tit/coal/blue and chaffinches /robin ,the railway hide has also had a new addition in the form of an elevated boardwalk, this was done last year and has eradicated the flooding problem here, the road down to Morton lochs is again at a deplorable state (at least didn't have to stop to let other road users pass but will have to check my tyre pressure tomorrow) a kingfisher was flying about opposite the berry hide ,several toads in the ditch plus little grebes calling

Attachments

• coal tit.JPG
    coal tit.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 73
  • coaltit2.JPG
    coaltit2.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 56
  • mooorhen.JPG
    mooorhen.JPG
    336.3 KB · Views: 73
  • squirel.jpg
    squirel.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 64
  • dunlin.JPG
    dunlin.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 70
I've only just heard about this today: apparently some wild boar escaped from Bamff Estate (Alyth) during the winter storms.

More in this link.

I was wondering what Gus had In his sandwiches..!

mmm... boar and mustard sandwiches.....could cope with that !

some nice birds being reported in Angus today....

Waxwings in a Carnoustie garden this morning.
Snow Goose at Linross farm near Glamis.
Smew and Marsh Harrier at Kinnordy Loch.
Osprey at Lintrathen Loch.
Iceland Gull still at Stobbie pond in Dundee.

also Wheatears and Sand Martins back too.... spring is here at last !

Morton Lochs

Nothing new to report, just the usual Swans, mallard little grebes, herons, teal, odd kingfisher flying about, herons at the Railway hide really having a feast on frogs, one had four in the one and half hrs I sat there.
Kawwauser was being kind when he described the road as deplorable, I would use stronger terms, but my wife hates me using bad language, potholes have got potholes in them, mind you powers that be have likely Company vehicles so they not be to bothered, but I'm sorry for them that live down their and the lady with the school taxi every day.
Money spent on nice new hut to watch squirrels etc ,but not the nicest place for it, quite cold but suppose for easy access for wheel chair users(which is always good) can't complain
I won't be returning for a while, can't afford the repair bills

It is possible to park in Tayport and walk across the golf course to Morton Lochs. As I am generally limited to public transport to get there, that's the way I go. Sometimes see a variety of birds (Yellowhammers, various finches, swallows etc) and insects en route.

Question on tides Eden Estuary

Wondering how long does it take tide to reach Guardbridge from St Andrew's, only once manage to get it right and never took note of tides then, if you get it right you can get a lot of waders coming right up to you, within 10 mtrs or so. That was sitting on shore opposite airfield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back