• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

+3, Sk. Bk. ? DO You DRAW WITH. (1 Viewer)

ARTHUR BISHOP

Shrike & Avocet. Pen & ink. Tried out a Rotoring pen with these two. Could not get on with it.To scratchy , had to be kept upright. Not fluid enough for me. I will keep to my dip pen with a fine point nib. Puffin in Watercolour,must have been breezy that day. Leaning backwards holding on with the tips of its toes.

Attachments

• L1010410.jpg
    L1010410.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 143
  • L1010408.jpg
    L1010408.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 155
  • L1010398.jpg
    L1010398.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
ARTHUR BISHOP said:
Shrike & Avocet. Pen & ink. Tried out a Rotoring pen. Could not get on with it.To scratchy , had to be kept upright. Not fluid enough for me. I will keep to my dip pen with a fine point nib. Puffin in Watercolour,must have been breezy that day. Leaning backwards holding on with the tips of its toes.

You are not alone in struggling with rotoring pens- I've tried them now and again and exactly as you say- too scratchy. I wonder what they are used for-someone must get on OK with them!

ed keeble said:
You are not alone in struggling with rotoring pens- I've tried them now and again and exactly as you say- too scratchy. I wonder what they are used for-someone must get on OK with them!
Rotring pens were used by architects and designers drawing up plans etc. I used to use them in my job as a studio manager in an advertising agency for keylines etc. I don't know how much they get used these days though, computers have pretty much superceded them.

For drawing I would often use rotrings for 'pointilism' effects, it took forever but gave some good results.

Woody

ed keeble said:
I think Draughtsmen use them ,they are good if you want to do a straight line and dots. Arthur

Last edited:
Arthur, I love the Avocet - beautifully drawn, whether or not you had difficulty with the pen, I think the final effect works really well.

Gotta sat I love rotring pens! Months of my life have passd me be as I lost myself in endless stippling, dots, dots and more dots. Has a hypnotic, trance like effect on me!
Great for detail though time consuming. Have a portfolio of these back in dublin, stored away, unfortunatly not close to hand..

Have started painting Tim by the way....!

Hi Arthur

Love your work. Used to use pen and ink, but gone back to drawing board with pencils now, problem is I like a fine point and have to keep sharpening them every few minutes!

buzzard12 said:
Gotta sat I love rotring pens! Months of my life have passd me be as I lost myself in endless stippling, dots, dots and more dots. Has a hypnotic, trance like effect on me!
Great for detail though time consuming. Have a portfolio of these back in dublin, stored away, unfortunatly not close to hand..

Have started painting Tim by the way....!
I hope you will post on this site first, Alan! - Getting quite excited (not meant to be putting you under any pressure, just would love to see how your drawing technique translates into full colour). All the best - Tim.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back