• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where have all the birds gone? (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

Where have all the birds gone?

By Andrew Johnson

Published: 29 January 2007 - The Independent

It is a peculiar British institution that, for almost 30 years, has celebrated the diversity of the nation's bird population.

Each year since 1979 the Royal Society for Protection of Birds has urged people across the country to spend an hour in their garden or park and take a note of the number and types of birds they spot. The annual snapshot provides crucial information on bird populations and migration trends.

But this year the annual Big Garden Birdwatch has revealed how the predicted devastating impact of global warming on Britain's bird species is taking effect. Although the expected half-a-million results won't be fully collated until March, early indications appear to confirm the worst fears of bird lovers.

Andre Farrar, an RSPB officer who completed his survey in his garden near Ashford in Kent yesterday, said: "I haven't seen a redwing or a fieldfare (a large thrush) which you'd expect to see at this time of year. They are winter migrators, i.e. they come to Britain for the winter. It will be interesting to see if we have more of the birds that stay with us throughout the year, such as the chiffchaff; and whether winter migrators are fewer in number."

The exceptionally mild winter means birds which would normally come to the warmer shores of Britain from the Arctic don't need to bother with the exhausting overseas flight as plenty of food is still available in more northerly habitats.

In January, gardens should be teeming with birds foraging for vital winter food.

But an RSPB spokesman said yesterday that the organisation had been inundated with calls this week from people "asking where all the birds had gone".

A double blow of migratory birds not coming to Britain and native birds not leaving the countryside because food is still plentiful is the answer, and means this year's survey is likely to reveal a decline in bird numbers or a marked difference between north and south.

But not needing to migrate is the least of the problems. Conservationist fear breeding seasons will fall out of sync with available food, and birds will not be able to adapt quickly enough to survive.

The RSPB spokesman added: "Birds are nesting up to nine days earlier than they did at the end of the First World War. So, in 60 years, bird breeding has changed by a week. Populations of birds are going to have to move or adapt at speeds their adaptive process isn't geared to. Species will disappear."

A report last year by the RSPB revealed a dramatic decline in bird numbers is already underway. Of 26 species identified in 1995 as in danger and in need of an action plan, 17 had declined even further, despite efforts to save them.

The State of the UK's Birds report also showed that populations of skylarks, bullfinches and grey partridges were disappearing at an alarming rate, and the corn bunting had died out in Wales.

The RSPB says that 2007 will be one of the most crucial in its history. A raft of reports are due to give the most accurate predictions of the devastating effects of climate change globally.

One of these will be published in Paris on Friday. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change survey has been six years in preparation and will help the RSPB to finalise its strategy to help birds manage the change.

Chris Monk said:

By Andrew Johnson

It is a peculiar British institution that, for almost 30 years, has celebrated the diversity of the nation's bird population.

Each year since 1979 the Royal Society for Protection of Birds has urged people across the country to spend an hour in their garden or park and take a note of the number and types of birds they spot. The annual snapshot provides crucial information on bird populations and migration trends.

But this year the annual Big Garden Birdwatch has revealed how the predicted devastating impact of global warming on Britain's bird species is taking effect. Although the expected half-a-million results won't be fully collated until March, early indications appear to confirm the worst fears of bird lovers.

Andre Farrar, an RSPB officer who completed his survey in his garden near Ashford in Kent yesterday, said: "I haven't seen a redwing or a fieldfare (a large thrush) which you'd expect to see at this time of year. They are winter migrators, i.e. they come to Britain for the winter. It will be interesting to see if we have more of the birds that stay with us throughout the year, such as the chiffchaff; and whether winter migrators are fewer in number."

The exceptionally mild winter means birds which would normally come to the warmer shores of Britain from the Arctic don't need to bother with the exhausting overseas flight as plenty of food is still available in more northerly habitats.

In January, gardens should be teeming with birds foraging for vital winter food.

But an RSPB spokesman said yesterday that the organisation had been inundated with calls this week from people "asking where all the birds had gone".

A double blow of migratory birds not coming to Britain and native birds not leaving the countryside because food is still plentiful is the answer, and means this year's survey is likely to reveal a decline in bird numbers or a marked difference between north and south.

But not needing to migrate is the least of the problems. Conservationist fear breeding seasons will fall out of sync with available food, and birds will not be able to adapt quickly enough to survive.

The RSPB spokesman added: "Birds are nesting up to nine days earlier than they did at the end of the First World War. So, in 60 years, bird breeding has changed by a week. Populations of birds are going to have to move or adapt at speeds their adaptive process isn't geared to. Species will disappear."

A report last year by the RSPB revealed a dramatic decline in bird numbers is already underway. Of 26 species identified in 1995 as in danger and in need of an action plan, 17 had declined even further, despite efforts to save them.

The State of the UK's Birds report also showed that populations of skylarks, bullfinches and grey partridges were disappearing at an alarming rate, and the corn bunting had died out in Wales.

The RSPB says that 2007 will be one of the most crucial in its history. A raft of reports are due to give the most accurate predictions of the devastating effects of climate change globally.

One of these will be published in Paris on Friday. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change survey has been six years in preparation and will help the RSPB to finalise its strategy to help birds manage the change.

I was in quite a good mood until I read that....

paulwfromtheden said:
I was in quite a good mood until I read that....
Is it bad news ?

abundant food in Scandanavia - birds will benefit

abundant food in the countryside - birds will benefit

The paper asks about a north south split. If south-east Scotland is 'North' then I'd say the North nis seeing the same thing. We are catching far fewer birds at the feeding stations where we ring this winter. However, abundant food is evident in the countryside, and there are loads of birds if you find the right places.

In addition, although nature has been exceptionally fruitful this year, this might also be a sign that the Environmental schemes for farmers are working. The last couple of years have seen a huge increase in the amount of wild bird cover sown. That could be contributing significantly. If supply is improved on a long term basis, winter survival should improve, we should have more birds altogether, demand will increase putting pressure on the food supply - and they will return to gardens.

Cheer up Paul, isn't that good news ?

Unfortunately pressures on farmers are changing radically, and the increase in supply could be reversed in just a few years. UK wide government are not demonstrating much commitment to those environmental schemes.

Mike.

Agreed - you get more birds in your garden when it's colder because it's harder for birds to get food from elsewhere, not because they haven't died of warmth.

Chris Monk said:

By Andrew Johnson

Chris, Whilst nobody is disagreeing that climate change can and does have influences over birds, isn't also true that the last 4 species you refer to, namely Skylark, Bullfinch, Grey Partridge and Corn Bunting have been adversely affected by changes in agricultural practises? I don't think giving these 4 species is necessarily a token of the adverse effects of climate change.

I can hardly believe global warming has come all at once (i.e. this being the first year this has happened). Let's hope not!

Black Wheatear said:
Chris, Whilst nobody is disagreeing that climate change can and does have influences over birds, isn't also true that the last 4 species you refer to, namely Skylark, Bullfinch, Grey Partridge and Corn Bunting have been adversely affected by changes in agricultural practises? I don't think giving these 4 species is necessarily a token of the adverse effects of climate change.

Hi! Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! (o)< ;)

Perhaps I should add a disclaimer if I post any more press articles?! ;)

Chris Monk said:
Hi! Don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! (o)< ;)

Perhaps I should add a disclaimer if I post any more press articles?! ;)

Chris. I was blowing soap bubbles, not real bullets. Keep the press releases coming. :flowers:

If anything, a lack of migration should help a lot of bird species. What's the mortality rate of chiffchaffs on migration? Not to mention how many more turtle doves there'd be if they didn't have to fly over Malta...
It should mean that if there's a bad drought south of the Sahara, then the non-migrating part of the population would help to keep numbers up. If global warming does cause birds to not migrate, then it will certainly do some of them some favours.
Not that I'm saying we should go and burn tyres or anything...

One of the big factors regarding global warming, I feel, is the risk of bird breeding seasons going out of sync with the breeding sesons of their prey. If insectivorous species start producing young before their prey begin to appear, chicks will starve. Of course, these birds may adapt, but we just dont know yet. Only time will tell.

They've already seen great tits starting to breed earlier to match the availability of the caterpillers they feed the young on. The study reckoned that early breeding was a genetic characteristic, which will become more common as later breeders start failing to raise a brood.
Thinking about, say only 10% of great tits can breed early if it is a definite genetic characteristic. This means that if there is a definite change in caterpillar appearance, 90% of great tits are likely not to breed. However, given the large gap in numbers, there will consequently be less competition for those caterpillers, so survival rates of the 10%'s broods should be pretty good and then population should recover.
Look at wrens - after the Winter '67, nearly 90% were wiped out, and now the numbers are almost back to normal within 40 years, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for some species.
And another hypothetical situation - is it likely that non-migrating chiffchaffs will displace migrating birds in UK at some point? Non-migrating birds (should the temperature stay warm over the next couple of centuries) will have the advantage of already having a territory, and being on the spot whenever their primary chick-food appears. Migrating birds would be at a disadvantage as they would be knackerred after flying in from Africa to find a decreasing number of territories that are not already taken. And if they arrive after the main appearance of the food for the chicks, their survival rates would drop, allowing non-migrating birds to take the place of the decreasing number of migrating birds.
All just conjecture, but I'm bored.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back