• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Deal? (1 Viewer)

Sleeper

I have been looking at purchasing the Zeiss 85 straight in any colour with the 20 - 60 zoom.

Would I be right to think that the deal on warehouse express for £899 with the 30x eyepiece would be a good bet and then just purchase the zoom seperately?

£899 for 85 silver straight inc 30x eyepiece
£229 for 20 x 60 zoom
Total £1128

Buying the scope and eyepiece seperate at warehouse
85 straight silver with 20 x 60 eyepiece £1118

I can't really find a better deal but I would be open to any suggestions? Clean of course

I presume the 30x eyepiece is quite good? Any opinion on any of this would be appreciated. Thanks

Don't forget the Baader zoom will fit the Zeiss and is cheaper and better optically than the Zeiss though not waterproof.

Thanks for replies

I have to admit I had not even heard about the Baader zoom let alone forget it! This really is something worth looking at. Can I ask where and how much I could get my mitts on?

dipped said:
Don't forget the Baader zoom will fit the Zeiss and is cheaper and better optically than the Zeiss though not waterproof.

This is a 1.25" astro EP, will it fit the Zeiss without an adapter?

dipped said:
Yes did you look at the link? Also see Henry Link's test in the scope forum.

Didn't read all the detail, sorry. Sounds an excellent piece of kit. I do astro too so could be a very cost effective solution, thanks.

No but over on the Pentax forum a member did and was impressed with the service.
He ordered a Baader zoom to try on the Pentax pf80 but unfortunately it won't reach infinity on that scope. Oh yes he ordered 2 Baader Hyperion fixed focus eyepieces as well.
They also sell on ebay where they have 100% feedback (can't always trust that) but they do seem to have a lot of satisfied customers.

Interesting thread - I've not looked for new scopes for a year or two - last time I remember the Zeiss zoom was being touted as the best around! - is this solution better? - has there been any evaluations/comparison tests etc.

I'm out of touch - time for a new scope ;-)

Hi Quacker

If you search under Baader eyepiece in these forums you should get quite a lot of threads brought up. I spent a little time searching through them and I think as mentioned above Henry Link does a rundown on the zoom. It does seem a very good zoom if all is right and as said. Only thing it is not waterproof.

dipped said:
No but over on the Pentax forum a member did and was impressed with the service.
He ordered a Baader zoom to try on the Pentax pf80 but unfortunately it won't reach infinity on that scope. Oh yes he ordered 2 Baader Hyperion fixed focus eyepieces as well.
They also sell on ebay where they have 100% feedback (can't always trust that) but they do seem to have a lot of satisfied customers.

Hello, I think I'm the chap refered to above. Yes, I bought two Baader
eyepieces (17mm and 21mm) from 'telescope-service. com.) Germany.
The service given was excellent. My order was delivered within 48 hours
from Germany to Kent,U.K. So impressed was I with these eyepieces,
I ordered the zoom. Sadly, It didn't reach focus. Wolfi, the chap at
telescope-service informed me that it would not do so on my Pentax PF80.
Had I have told him my scope modal in the first place, he wouldn't have sold
it to me. But,at the time I knew best and couldn't wait to get it!!!
As yet I still haven't got a zoom for my scope. But, I'm over the moon with my two Baarder fixed eyepieces.

Kindest regards,
Ian.

I'm interested to learn that Wolfi knew the zoom wouldn't work on the Pentax.

When I emailed tel. ser. in mid December about the suitability of the zoom for the pentax Patrick Woitala thought it would work.

I wonder if Wolfi has any knowledge of other scopes it will/won't work with, eg Kowa with custom adapter. I guess you returned the zoom.

Maybe the Williams Optics zoom might work on the Pentax and be of reasonable quality. I fear I am getting a bit off topic as this is the Zeiss forum!

dipped said:
I'm interested to learn that Wolfi knew the zoom wouldn't work on the Pentax.

When I emailed tel. ser. in mid December about the suitability of the zoom for the pentax Patrick Woitala thought it would work.

I wonder if Wolfi has any knowledge of other scopes it will/won't work with, eg Kowa with custom adapter. I guess you returned the zoom.

Maybe the Williams Optics zoom might work on the Pentax and be of reasonable quality. I fear I am getting a bit off topic as this is the Zeiss forum!

Hello Dipped.
He was supprised that it didn't work. Especially as the fixed
eyepieces are such a dream. It was then he made enquiries and discovered
the sad truth. This was late December.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back