• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

books on sketching birds in pencil (1 Viewer)

BobinKy

I want to start sketching birds in pencil. Does anyone have any introductory books for beginners?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

RSPB Book by John Busby is an excellent book
If you only bought one book - this would be it. I recall Peter Partington doing a "How to draw birds" or something - may be worth looking for it on Amazon, or elsewhere.
By looking at draughtsmen (persons!) eg. Eric Ennion, Charles Tunnicliffe, Killian Mullarney, Lars Jonsson etch - you'll get a feel of how they do it and this can give a huge amount of guidance - but really it's how YOU do it that matters. Give it a crack.

Yes peter did this and i went on one of his courses this last week - very inspirational

and talented

good luck with the sketching

This is a nice book-it includes alot of drawing tips-Waterfowl and wading birds by Rod Lawrence.And 'Draw birds' by David Brown is excellent.

Can't really recommend any books but this may be useful:

http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Birds-part-1-22106533

A bit technical but handy none the less.

My advice though would be just to get out there and do it! The more you do it the easier it gets and the more fluid you become. Trying to adopt another person's methods may end up restricting your own. Take the sketchbook out and enjoy the process, you'll soon find a way of working that suits your personal skills and style.

Good luck.

Woody

I grew up on the John Busby book (first edition) and recommend it highly, the second edition is even better. I think when starting out it isn't too much of a problem copying somebody's style, as it creates something to aim for, your own style will develop as confidence increases.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back