• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (2 Viewers)

Are there more berries in the west end ? I suppose there are more gardens there as opposed to the tennament areas.

There are certainly a good deal of rowans and cotoneasters in the west end but I'm not sure about how this compares with the rest of the city. I don't think this is a 100% determining factor as to where you are likely to see Waxwings in the city though, I was more referring to where a lot of them seem to be based this year. I get them each year in the west end and over my school, but yet again I've seen them all over the city. That said there are places that seem to act as magnets to Waxwing flocks; the Hilton/Foresterhill area certainly gets a good amount most years, as do Allenvale Cemetery and Kincorth by the River Dee (Kincorth had 700+ last year). One of the places that Waxwings seem to congregate in the west end is the fire station on North Anderson Drive; the 75 I had flying over Hamilton Place were heading from that direction so they could have well been there, and many have been reported there in the past.

Joseph

I had another look for geese at Portlethen today. I found a couple of hundred geese at Beltcraigs, in a grass field next to the stubble field they were in last time I visited. Mostly Greylags and Pinkfeet, but there were at least 29 European White-fronts and at least a couple of Bean geese still present (with possibly a few more beans lurking at the back).

I didn't manage to check the Windyedge area, mainly because I forgot to take a map so I wasn't quite sure how to get there! However, I noticed a flock of 500-600 geese in stubble fields to the east of the A90 at East Cammachmore, and found 4 white-fronts in that flock, which otherwise seemed to be all pinkies.

I managed a few record shots, which are a bit ropey, but nice to get 4 species of grey geese in one photo.

Attachments

• Bean goose with greylags whitefronts and pinkfeet.jpg
    Bean goose with greylags whitefronts and pinkfeet.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 118
  • European whitefronts with pinkfeet.jpg
    European whitefronts with pinkfeet.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 96
Well done Paul, certainly very impressive amounts of geese in that area at the moment. Interestingly though no-one seems to have reported any Greenland White-fronts from that flock whereas there have been a good deal up towards Strathbeg. I'm taking it there were no Greenlands amongst the flock you had?

Joseph

Well done Paul, certainly very impressive amounts of geese in that area at the moment. Interestingly though no-one seems to have reported any Greenland White-fronts from that flock whereas there have been a good deal up towards Strathbeg. I'm taking it there were no Greenlands amongst the flock you had?

Hi Joseph

No I didn't see any Greenlands (I'm planning a trip to Islay later in the winter so hopefully I'll see plenty then).

These Russian Beans and Whitefronts have come from the east/south-east, whereas any Greenland whitefronts have overshot from the north-west, so I suppose it isn't too surprising that Strathbeg is more likely to pick up Greenlands than areas even a small distance further south and east.

A real goose fest at Strathbeg today which made for a very entertaining period of birding, the highlight being 158+ Tundra Bean Geese. The flock was in a field opposite Tower Pool Hide, where they were viewed from. Included in it were at least 25 European White-fronted Geese plus 3 Greenland White Fronts. I suspect this congregation is a mixture of birds that have been brought in by the very cold weather recently and birds that were already in the area coming together. Interestingly there haven't been any reports of the Beans in the Portlethen area, could it be that these Beans have relocated in a northern direction and joined with others to form this flock? Whatever the cirumstances, it was fascinating to watch them in these numbers.

There was a very wintery feel to the reserve today, with a couple of inches of lying snow and close to subzero temperartures. As a result substantial flocks of buntings such as 70 Yellowhammers and 20 Reed Buntings amongst commoner finches and other passerines were around, including a Great-spotted Woodpecker on the feeders. Coming in on the back of this passerine arrival was a male Merlin, always great to see and a good addition to a very enjoyable winter day's birding.

Joseph

Last edited:
I have enjoyed reading previous posts in this thread (and may go looking for Geese at the weekend). Just posted the following in another thread:

"Have just registered and it was suggested that I say 'hello'. Recently started a job in Aberdeen and am living nearby (outside Findon). Am new to birding (and therefore I can't identify a lot of what I see) but have enjoyed a few trips out to see what's around: Girdle Ness; Ythan Estuary; Loch of Strathbeg. Am keen to find out about the best places to visit and what to look for. Any tips on viewing local raptors are appreciated. Also, what time of day do Geese tend to return to roost? Thanks."

I have enjoyed reading previous posts in this thread (and may go looking for Geese at the weekend). Just posted the following in another thread:

"Have just registered and it was suggested that I say 'hello'. Recently started a job in Aberdeen and am living nearby (outside Findon). Am new to birding (and therefore I can't identify a lot of what I see) but have enjoyed a few trips out to see what's around: Girdle Ness; Ythan Estuary; Loch of Strathbeg. Am keen to find out about the best places to visit and what to look for. Any tips on viewing local raptors are appreciated. Also, what time of day do Geese tend to return to roost? Thanks."

Welcome to BirdForum Mark. It sounds like you're visiting a lot of the best places in the area already, though you might also try Loch of Skene or Meikle Loch for geese. The former is also a good area for Red Kites. Strathbeg have regular 'goose watches' so it might be worth going on one of those. I think the geese tend to come in close to sunset, or a little after, but they can stay out all night in a full moon.

For bird news at Girdle Ness, you may find this thread interesting:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=97045

I live in Cove, not far to the North of you. Ken Hall, a local birder, died recently, but his wife has kept his website activated. You will find some helpful details athttp://www.thenatureofnortheastscotland.com/section295030_97732.html.
You will find lots of geese between your house and Cove, at fields on both sides of the road. Local water bodies nearby are Rigifa Pool, the puddle in the left hand field on the coast road to Cove from Findon and Loirston Loch on the left side of the dual carriageway into Aberdeen. The local "hotspot" is Girdleness, covered in this site as "Birds fae Torry." I can't help your bird recognition skills as I struggle, even after birding for a long time, to identify even common species. I should really take up hobbies for which I am more suited.
Helping you with Raptors is difficult, as even the mention of the subject gets people thinking that you are making up a list of nests to plunder.8-P
Take a walk round Girdleness, you are likely to see weird characters equipped with telescopes, binoculars or large lens cameras, perhaps all 3. It will likely be one or more of the people on these forums. Stop and chat,we'll be happy to talk to you, unless there's a recent page about a rarity, then you'll have to wait.;)

hi, I'll be spending just over a week over Christmas at the in-laws. They live in Belhelvie, just a couple of miles from Murcar/ Blackdog. Has anyone checked out the scoter flock recently as I'd like to give it a look? I'm hoping to have a couple of days' birding after Xmas though whether I do anything on the coast is dependent on me finding space amongst all the baby stuff in the luggage for a tripod! Otherwise might head for Speyside, so current sites for crested tit or caper would be appreciated (I know the 'usual' ones but drew a blank on my last visit).

I'd like most of all to see Scottish wildcat but think there's more chance of seeing the Loch Ness Monster (despite some apparent sightings in the area I'm staying in). Will have a camera too so any photogenic stuff certainly worth visiting (shame I'll only have a couple of days).

cheers
James

They live in Belhelvie, just a couple of miles from Murcar/ Blackdog. Has anyone checked out the scoter flock recently as I'd like to give it a look?

Hi James,

I've not checked offshore at Blackdog for the last week and a half (have just got back from overseas) but in recent weeks there have just been around 50 or so Commons and a single Velvet. Winter tends to see the smallest scoter numbers here but always worth a look, I guess,

Good luck at Xmas,

Nick

Hi James,

I've not checked offshore at Blackdog for the last week and a half (have just got back from overseas) but in recent weeks there have just been around 50 or so Commons and a single Velvet. Winter tends to see the smallest scoter numbers here but always worth a look, I guess,

Good luck at Xmas,

Nick

cheers Nick, it's a shame I only ever seem to be there in December. The WWS turned up 2 days before the birth of my son so didn't get to go up then, either. I'll give it a look though.

regards
James

This is just a quick message (as I'm having to do this from my phone) to say thanks for the replies above. I will be able to write something more substantial when I have PC acess next week... Am hoping to get out tomorrow: may try & find some Red Kites.

I briefly called in past Portlethen today on my way up the A90. There were still plenty of geese (c800) feeding in the area, but unfortunately they were extremely close to the road between Cammachmore and Elsick and flushed soon after I stopped. I counted up to 16 European Whitefronts (many of them juveniles) before they all flew. I didn't see any Beans but that doesn't mean there weren't any.

It's definitely still proving to be a great winter for goose-watching in the area. At Loch of Skene this morning there were at least 42 Tundra Beans and probably over 150 Euro White-fronts. Interestingly, now that there are increased numbers of the scarcer geese, they're keeping in more discrete groups, though the White-fronts are still very difficult to count amongst all the Greylags. A flock of 36 Beans lingered quite late, before flying off alone to the north.

Yesterday, 4 Tundra Beans and 1 White-front amongst Pinkfeet near Kinmuck, while there were still at least 25 Tundra Beans (and some White-fronts) up at Strathbeg, including one Dutch-collared bird which had been in Northumberland last month.

I'v managed to get out birding a couple of times, but found Blackdog rather quiet. Couldn't find the Tundra beans near Meikle Loch/ Cruden Bay, just 200 or so pinkfeet. Highlight was a nice drake long-tailed duck on the Ythan Estuary, off Inches Point and a few peregrine sightings around the village I'm staying in.

Not sure if I can manage Speyside as only have 2 days spare. Can anyone recommend caper sites in Deeside? (I'll understand if not). Or for that matter sites for golden eagle, Scottish crossbill or pine marten? I understand for crested tit I would have to go to Speyside.

cheers
James

Loirston Loch

Hi All,

I briefly stopped by Loirston Loch on my way into Aberdeen today and was amazed to see an Otter swimming around in broad daylight at 1pm!

I was wondering if this is a known site for otter and if not if there is anyone I should report it to?

This is only the second time I've bothered to stop and look at Loirston LOch and having got Slavonian Grebe the first time I'll definitly be stopping again!

Hapy New Year

Danny

I briefly stopped by Loirston Loch on my way into Aberdeen today and was amazed to see an Otter swimming around in broad daylight at 1pm!

I was wondering if this is a known site for otter and if not if there is anyone I should report it to?

Hi Danny,

Think I've heard of records from there before but I don't know how regular they are. We looked in yesterday afternoon but didn't have any such highlights.

Please send the record to the North East Scotland Biological Records Centre (NESBReC), www.nesbrec.org.uk
There are proposals (nothing certain yet) for a mammal atlas for the region to be produced in the next few years so they would be especially happy to receive any mammal records.

Cheers

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back