• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID (1 Viewer)

pmesich

Found this fellow in the backyard this morning. Can someone help me ID him? Tail banding is straying me away from a Copper's Hawk.

Eastern Panhandle of WV is the location sighted 6/12/09

Attachments

• Bird1.jpg
    Bird1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi, this one might cause problems but I am going with sharp-shinned hawk. Based on the location of the eyes on the head, the thin looking legs, the small size compared to those poles. It's also a juvenile. The onl problem I have is the tail looks rounded but sharpie is still what I'm going with.

Welcome to the forum by the way!!

Best,
Matt

Thanks,

I got a email today from the Hanging Rock Raptor Observatory in WV that they feel it might be a Juvenile Northern Harrier.

Structure among other things rules out harriers imho (wings way too short).

I would favor Sharp-shinned (stick-like legs, ...)

I agree with CAU, I estimate the bird's length to be 15". This, along with the large size of the head and the rounded tail all say Cooper's too me.

Did the Hanging Rock Raptor Observatory make their identification from a verbal description? I cannot imagine anyone seeing this picture thinking that it is a Harrier.

Mike

I tend to agree with Matt here. Those skinny Tarsi are hard to hide. I think it is a large female Sharp-shinned Hawk. Wheeler notes in his discussion of SIZE that the Sharp-shinned Hawk is "proportionately the most dimorphic of any North American raptor. With practice sexes are separable in the field. Males are considerably smaller than females." There is no overlap in size. Wheeler also notes under Species Traits on the same page that some females (only) can have a "very rounded" tail. (A few have very rounded....rectrices.")
See page 159 Eastern Edition.
Bob

thanks everyone,

I had sent the same picture above to the observatory. It's rounded beak structure and eye placement is what was throwing me off.

thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back