• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Help IDing Juvenile Bird in Little Rock, Arkansas (1 Viewer)

drearazer

Some cats were giving this little guy the staredown. He's got cute little tufts of wispy white feathers on both sides of his head. I'm a vet and have raised baby birds before, but I don't know what he is.

Attachments

• edgar-8 7.26.09.jpg
    edgar-8 7.26.09.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 97
I don't know why but I can't find in this bird the juv Common Starling we are seeing in large numbers on both sides of the Atlantic these days. Shape and color seem not that good.

Do you have a full picture of this bird ? Any Blackbird (Euphagus) nesting nearby ? I have no field experience of juv Rusty Blackbird (I least I don't remember ..) but can it be one ?

Doesn't look right to me for a Starling. Yellow beak is wrong for Starling. I've got 30+ juveniles in my garden, none look like that.

OK, I've been looking through my photos and I've found a younger fledgling. On this you can see the yellow in the beak, although not as much as the OPs.

So now I'm thinking Starling.

Attachments

• JuvStarling2.JPG
    JuvStarling2.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 64
I'm not saying it isn't a starling, the flattened forehead looks good, it's just a lot richer brown than usual, all the one's ive seen tend to be greyer.

I'm not saying it isn't a starling, the flattened forehead looks good, it's just a lot richer brown than usual, all the one's ive seen tend to be greyer.

It seems to depend on the light. I've got more photos of brown juveniles than grey. But nearly all were taken in bright sunlight(like the last one I posted).

It was just the amount of yellow in the beak that put doubt in my head.

I don't see why it isn't a very young starling. It is developing a long pointed gray bill but it's just out of the nest so its features are not completely developed.

Rusty Blackbirds don't nest anywhere near Arkansas.

I agree on juvenile starling, that was my first impression despite the extensively yellow bill- the remnant downy tufts on its head also point to it being very young.

Here is another pictures, as requested.

Thanks. I will join the juvenile starling camp as well. It is darker overall than any juvenile starling I have seen or can find a photo of, but everything else seems to fit, and I cannot think of any other good alternatives.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back