• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

flash with Better Beamer (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Anyone used a flash (430ex or like) plus the Better Beamer Flash Extender? I have heard it might be a great way to get birds under the canopy and from a good size distance.....? About 250$ total is what it would appear to cost... Thanks in advance...

Hi Imans: I use the Better Beamer to fill in shadows. It works to open the shadows and provide an eye catch light. One thing to be very aware of is Better Beamer Rash. This happens if you use it as fill with a subject being backlit by the sun. The Fresnel lens acts as a magnifying lens concentrating the sun's rays on, which in my case happened to be my flash case, on a focal point. I still use it but am am very aware of the sun's position.
Hope this helps. Bob.

Attachments

• B.Beamer-Rash-1.jpg
    B.Beamer-Rash-1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 97
  • BB-Rash-2.jpg
    BB-Rash-2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 76
I've used one a few times with the 430EX both as fill in and as the main light source. It can be fiddly to use but very a effective technique.

I was looking to use it as a source of light as I look from under trees or in a canopy, not in direct sunlight. Birds in the bush, trees etc....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back