• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Archie's poo list (1 Viewer)

7. Cormorant. Sadly I was watching this preening while waiting for the inevitable squirt.

8. Common Gull. Seen shortly after #7, I was trying to look at its primaries in flight (moulting bird) when it popped a little nugget out. Honest.

I haven't watched cassowaries defecating, but I did see (and smell - fragrantly fruity!) the male's droppings at Cassowary House near Cairns, Australia 2 years ago. No, I'm not an expert on identifying gender from droppings, but the male was there with the 3 young and I guess that the young hadn't deposited that heap!

I am not assiduous as regards lists as some are, but here in the Isle of Man I was once dumped on by a herring gull and had to go home to put everything in the washer and me in the bath! I have seen several other species in action (as it were), such as choughs, shags and cormorants.

Allen

12. Turnstone - and a hat-trick!

Turnstones don't stand still much. But one I saw today was still for a few minutes and it seemed that it was doing the avian equivalent of taking the sports supplement to the smallest room. Three times it let go, before it started to wonder where it's mates had gone, and left.

And here it is, standing next to the pile(s).

Next time - what else do Turnstones do with poo? o:D

Attachments

• DSC04347 (2) turnstone and poo.jpg
    DSC04347 (2) turnstone and poo.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 82
15. Med Gull this lunchtime, with a quickfire double release.

Nearby, there was a hint of a Carrion Crow letting go, but due to the mist and distance couldn't be sure that it wasn't just constipated!

20. Ringed Plover gained a bit of momentum yesterday. Was one of these two...

Attachments

• DSC06732 (2) ringed plover fight (1024x608).jpg
    DSC06732 (2) ringed plover fight (1024x608).jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 75
Saw one of four Norwich Cathedral peregrine chicks let go (with some gusto I might add) live on the webcam this morning - but it doesn't go on the list as it wasn't 'in the flesh' so to speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back