• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backup camera - need some help (1 Viewer)

recreationalbirding

Hi!

I have a 1dx that I'm so far pretty happy with. It actually failed to fire once, which annoyes me alot. Had to turn it off and on, and then it worked again. Very strange, and has luckily never happened again after that. Anyway, that made me thinking that I am in need of a backup camera.

Besides being a backup Id like to use it for the occasional macro. Also Id like it to have a cropped sensor, with higher pixel density - so I can use it for long distance documentation shots of birds where the 1dx full framed 18 meg isnt enough.

I cant really decide on what to get. A 7d2 (that I have owned before and liked, except it had some autofocus issues, that hopefully have been sorted out?), a 70d, a used 1d iv maybe?

Im in no hurry, except for the case that I decide on the 7d2. If I decide to get the 7d2 I have a (cirka) $330 cashback from Canon waiting because of a lens I have bought earlier. But in that case I have to decide before the end of July...

This is very tough. It feels somewhat silly to get a 7d2, if it turns out it will spend most of the time in the backpack not being used. At the same time it feels strange to go for the 70d, without any discount, and not getting the 7d2 with a $330 rebate.

Do I have other decent options? What about a 2nd hand 50d or 60d? Never tried those, but maybe they will not disappoint me?

What are your thoughts on this?

I would knock the 1D4 off your list. Whilst it is a fine camera (I loved mine!) I did find that it gave less reach than my 1DX despite the higher pixel density. Other than another 1DX the 1D4 is probably the perfect backup but it won't give to more range as it simply does not resolve detail quite as well as the 1DX. I had both alongside each other for 3 months as I thought that I would have to get in closer with the 1DX, this did not prove to be the case. The 1DX images can be cropped very heavily before they fall apart, more so than the 1D4, which makes up for the loss of crop factor and higher (but not as good) pixel density.
The 7D2 looks like a good option but don't expect to get much more reach out of it. You will certainly get some extra reach but it will not be as much as the crop factor would suggest.
Of the APSC sensor cameras the 7D2 is probably the best option but some, like you, have had AF issues. I cannot comment on this as everyone I know (who has a 7D2) is very happy with the AF system - though they consider it inferior to both the 1DX and 1D4.
Probably not much help but these are just my observations.

Im in no hurry, except for the case that I decide on the 7d2. If I decide to get the 7d2 I have a (cirka) $330 cashback from Canon waiting because of a lens I have bought earlier. But in that case I have to decide before the end of July

Do I have other decent options? What about a 2nd hand 50d or 60d? Never tried those, but maybe they will not disappoint me?

What are your thoughts on this?

Why not get a new 7d Mk1. It's still a great camera with a versatile AF system. It will definately outperform a 50d or 60d. Amazon have them in stock for £730 in the UK or $879 in the US and you should be able to use your Canon cashback.

John and Steve,

Thanks for your input! I have a few more days to think about this :)

Im leaning towards the 7d2, but I have to give serious thought into how much I will actually use this camera. If it will primarily be a backup camera then maybe a used 60d is the smartest way to go.

It's a no brainer to me..for the price it has to be the 7D2. I'm not sure where you would buy one but here in the UK it's cheaper to buy a grey import and forget about the cashback offer
In addition to what you already have with the 1DX the 7D2 offers some extra features like a silent shutter that is actually silent plus one or two other benefits that you may or may not want. I use my back up 5D3 as an image storing device, transferring my CF card images from their expensive fast card to an inexpensive SD card ( which the 1DX can't do) so I can reuse the CF card the next day. Saves having to have a portable drive and laptop to store images when weight is an issue.

I think the crop factor is worth about a 10-15% gain but the images somehow don't quite look as good as the ones from a 1D series body. Maybe that's my imagination though..

No matter what you have as a backup it will spend a lot of time in your back pack! It's rare the opportunity arises when I have two bodies ready to fire at once.

having a 7dII in your backpack all day would be a bit waste of money perhaps…

A better usage would be to have a 300/4 on the camera, and use it for close birds, snap-shots, birds-in flight,
from the car, from the hide, situations where a longer lens is to slow, heavy or unpractical to use,

when I shoot from a hide or the car, sometimes birds come really close, and ad-hoc, or on the wrong side of the hide/car…moving a long lens from the one side to the other is not fast…and also can scare birds.
a 300/4 is always faster and more discrete to have available.

it will add some extra weight to your setup, but also more flexibility,

some will say that a 300mm will be too short for birds, sometimes it is, but sometimes it's perfect,

Nice to know is that the nature photographer of the year in Sweden, never uses longer lenses than 300mm, and he shoots full-frame and mostly birds! Pretty cool I would say.

http://www.naturvardsverket.se/Nyheter-och-pressmeddelanden/Pressbilder/Arets-naturfotograf-2014/

Last edited:
Hi there Vespo!

Totally missed that you replied. Sorry.

Yes, the 300 is a great lens. I have the 100-400 ii, and Im very happy with that one and pretty often I prefer that lens instead of longer teles.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back