• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk help (1 Viewer)

bflginidx

I need some help to confirm what I think is a broad-winged hawk. Thanks!

Date: Dec 11, 2017

Attachments

• P1000205.jpg
    P1000205.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 72
  • P1000259.jpg
    P1000259.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Perched juvenile Broad-wingeds and Red-shouldereds are difficult to separate. In the panhandle, Broad-wingeds are very rare in December (e-bird showed only 1 record in the past 10 years), while Red-shouldereds are common. I think the bird is probably a Red-shouldered based mostly on the fact that pale markings seem to be present on the secondaries, while on a Broad-winged the secondaries should be uniformly dark. On Florida birds these pale markings can be less contrasty than on others. I have taken the liberty of photoshopping the bird to bring them out better.

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 21
Not sure it would help but here are two more photos of today's bird. I'll also upload photos of a similar bird taken a year ago in a separate post.

Attachments

• P1000265.jpg
    P1000265.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 28
  • P1000273.jpg
    P1000273.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 26
This bird, photographed last December a few miles away, was identified as a Broad-winged.

Attachments

• P1000335.jpg
    P1000335.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 30
  • P1000356.jpg
    P1000356.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 23
Tail pattern showing narrow stripes on the bird in post #6 is that of a Red-shouldered Hawk, pale gray stripes indicate a juvenile bird; mature RSHs have white stripes. Broad-winged Hawks have much wider tail bands.

Tail pattern and small pale gray barring on the secondaries on the 1st bird in post #7 and the chest pattern of the 2nd bird shown in post #7 are that of a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back