• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers in Ephesus Turkey (1 Viewer)

MariettaBirder

Last May while touring in Ephesus I got these distant photos of a couple of woodpeckers. The first two are of the same bird and the last three are of the same bird. Based on behavior and overall jizz I'm pretty sure they are both woodpeckers, but which species? My guess is Middle Spotted.

These photos have been cropped, but are otherwise unaltered. Any further clarification will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Woodpecker, #1, Ephesus, Turkey 3777.jpg
    Woodpecker, #1, Ephesus, Turkey 3777.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Woodpecker, #1, Ephesus, Turkey 3778.jpg
    Woodpecker, #1, Ephesus, Turkey 3778.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 151
  • Woodpecker, #2, Ephesus, Turkey 3809.jpg
    Woodpecker, #2, Ephesus, Turkey 3809.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Woodpecker, #2, Ephesus, Turkey 3814.jpg
    Woodpecker, #2, Ephesus, Turkey 3814.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Woodpecker, #2, Ephesus, Turkey 3815.jpg
    Woodpecker, #2, Ephesus, Turkey 3815.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 126
This is a Eurasian Jay - check out the long tail, buff head and thick black moustachial stripe.

The spotted woodpeckers in Europe are all black & white

Cheers
Mike

This is a Eurasian Jay - check out the long tail, buff head and thick black moustachial stripe.

The spotted woodpeckers in Europe are all black & white

Cheers
Mike

Well, no wonder why I was having a hard time finding out what kind of woodpecker it was:-O

Thanks Mike and everyone for the help on this.

A very good year for Jays,good numbers all round,saying that there are plenty of Syrian woodpeckers around this year as well,must have been that wet winter/spring we had.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back