• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crete raptor ID please (1 Viewer)

Dave Smith

United Kingdom
We saw a pair of these (see first pic) circling high above the Minoan site of Lato in the Lasithi province of Crete on 31 May 2009. The only raptors mentioned locally were the Griffin Vulture (2nd pic) and the rarer Lammergeier. I don't think it is either. We did see 3 GVs in a different area and I am also attaching an image for comparison. Sorry about the quality of the pics, they were taken with an IXUS 970 camera and have been heavily cropped.

Attachments

• unknown raptor.JPG
    unknown raptor.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Griffin Vulture.JPG
    Griffin Vulture.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 198
First one has to be a buteo.

Niels

Thanks Neis and Cristian. I hadn't considered something as common as a Common Buzzard. Perhaps I should have done because the island, at least in the East were almost entirely as commonly found in the UK. The Griffin Vulture and Hooded Crows were the only "exotic" birds we saw. It was mostly chaffinches, house sparrows, robins, wrens, etc etc that we saw or heard.

Dave

Here is a go at it. The two lines point towards what might be an incomplete breast band. The problem is that it is difficult to be sure.

I also increased size of the image, in addition to lightening/increased contrast; I dont see anything now that I did not see before changing light.

Niels

Edit: excuse that I first uploaded a different format, .jpg added

Attachments

• buteo sp.psd
    166 KB · Views: 47
  • buteo sp.jpg
    buteo sp.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I'm inclined towards Common Buzzard, as the tail has a dark subterminal band (which only adult dark morph Long-legged have, but they have a uniformly dark underbody and underwing coverts). The plumage also completely lacks rufous tones and the wing pattern also fits CB, i.e. the lesser underwing coverts look very dark but the median are pale.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back