Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 8th April 2015, 14:47   #1
Fwin71

Smile Trip to Quebec: First week of June Trip to Southern Spain: First week of May

Hi birder pals,

I am a PhD student in Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Germany.

I am now organizing two birding trips, one in early May in Southern Spain in Andalousia and Extramadura where I am aiming at seeing the most emblematic species of the region during five days.
The second one is in Quebec, probably during the first week of June, starting from Sherbrooke, where I will be based in end of May for a conference.

Is anyone interested in guiding and joining me during one of these trips?
I would appreciate an experienced birder that can bring me to nice spots to see rare species.
Or do you have contacts or suggestions for me?

Also, I was wondering for Quebec whether it was more worthy to birdwatch there in end of May or in start of June? June should be the peak of breeding, but birds should be more active in May no? Maybe this week difference is not so important at that stage of the year.

Thanks!
Arnaud
Old Wednesday 8th April 2015, 15:12   #2
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?

I've never actually birded right around Sherbrooke, but just going by my knowledge of seasonality in Canada generally, I would say that the difference between the last week in May and the first week in June is minimal.

A very small number of species will still be migrating at the end of May, with a few of the later flycatchers still straggling through in June; however, these will be those the are heading for the far north. Local passerines will all be on territory by the last weekend in May, and males should all be singing. Early nesters, like ducks, geese, and owls will have already raised their first broods, but most passerines will still be courting or just starting to nest.

I do a Breeding Bird Survey here in Ontario, and always aim it for the second week of June; primarily, because it is the peak period for bird song, but secondarily because it mostly eliminates the possibility of encountering non-resident birds that are still on their way north. The point being, earlier than that, you are likely to find a slightly better variety of species.

Viel Glck!
Peter C.

Last edited by Peter C. : Wednesday 8th April 2015 at 15:15.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th April 2015, 21:52   #3
John Cantelo

I can't help directly, but if SW Spain is a place you intend to visit then do check my website (see below) for a downloadable site guide (PM if it doesn't download, but be quick I'm out in Spain soon)

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: