• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best 'Alpha' Binoculars for Those of Us With Tremors (1 Viewer)

Lopaka

Hi Guys,

I'm a long-term birder and reader of this forum, but had something to add to the discussion that I thought might be helpful - so now I've joined ! I'll try to keep it short. Here goes:

I've got Parkinson's Disease, which some of you may know begins with asymmetric tremors (doesn't end there - but it's a start). My PD has been going on for a couple of years now and my the tremors are just pronounced enough on my left side to destabilize my view through my larger - and heavier - 8x42 binoculars. Since PD is progressive, I know what's coming down the pike for the rest of me (including my right side) one day, so I decided to get a pair of lighter weight binoculars which are easier to hold still, and to finally get the 'Alpha' pair I've always wanted as my time to enjoy them is truly limited (I've got no more time to rationalize how I can wait another year or two).

Through friends, and a local optics fair, I was able to evaluate all the major contenders. Somewhat predictably, it came down to two contenders: the Swarovski EL 8x32's and the Zeiss Victory FL 8x32's. The winner, (shaking) hands-down was the Zeiss FL 8x32's ! Why? Design. The rather elegant twin-barrel design of the Swarovski's makes it impossible for me to hold them still...my left hand tremor just shakes the entire binocular. The Zeiss' are not only a little bit lighter (by only about 45 grams/2.5 ounces, but even that does help in my case), but mostly because its chunky-monkey compact design allows my right hand to comfortably overlap my left and cancel out the vibration. I've finally got a pair of top-notch binoculars and they are fantastic - thank you Zeiss!!

Just wanted to share that with you in case any of you may have (or know someone who has) picked-up a tremor (from PD, or just a slight age related one), that there's an alpha binocular which is demonstrably superior to all others on the market today: it's the Zeiss FL 8x32's.

Hope some may find this thread helpful.

Aloha,

-Lopaka

Last edited:
Nice post Lopaka. I am glad to hear that you found a binocular to suit both your physical needs and your optical preferences. Having owned the 8x32 Zeiss FL for a time I certainly think you picked a good one. ;)

Thanks Frank.

I just love these binoculars. My friend with the Swaro EL's points out that the Zeiss FL's design adapts to work with their user more than the EL's - with their defined grip area - do. It's certainly helpful to me as I can easily grip the Zeiss FL's with both hands working together and comfortably dampen out my slight tremor.

I love those binoculars too! If I ever have need to replace my 8x32 SE, that would be the one I would buy.

Heck -- I should just get one anyway.......

Hello Lopaka,

Use them well!
I own this binocular and it serves me well.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

That is why it always best to try binoculars before you buy. What works for one person may not work for you. The Zeiss 8x32 FL's are one of the best binoculars out there and excellent at controlling CA. Curious with your tremors if you have ever tried the Canon IS stabilized binocular line. I wonder if they would help you.

I love those binoculars too! If I ever have need to replace my 8x32 SE, that would be the one I would buy.

Heck -- I should just get one anyway.......

Well Phil, if you'd like a pair of Victory FL's and you can afford them, then by all means get them. Breydon, Arthur and I couldn't possibly be wrong could we ?

Denco, I may eventually have to go to the Image Stabilization type of binocular, but not yet - I can still handle these wonderful FL's for now (then my wife can transition over to enjoy them full-time).

I really appreciate the magnificent reviews so many people have done of all types of binoculars, on this forum, in blogs, etc. It helped me to understand the technical aspects of different optics and to make a more informed decision of the features and characteristics that are important to me. But, ultimately, when I got a chance to really spend time handling and looking through a good variety of the top-end optics I could really see what was going to work for me (and what wouldn't). It came down to ergonomics, and the Zeiss Victory FL 8x32's just work a lot better for me than any other design.

... It came down to ergonomics, and the Zeiss Victory FL 8x32's just work a lot better for me than any other design.

Hello Lopaka,

When choosing among the top binoculars, the final decision is properly made by the buyer's own criteria. Ergonomics, field of view, eye relief, or close focussing might trump other aspects of a binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Good post. Curious if you tried the Canon stabilized and if so what effect they had?

I have only read good stuff about the FL and this adds to it.

Thanks
P

Good post. Curious if you tried the Canon stabilized and if so what effect they had?

I have only read good stuff about the FL and this adds to it.

Thanks
P

No, I haven't tried the Canon IS - because I don't have to go there yet and can still enjoy the very best of the conventional binoculars. May have to turn to them someday though, it's nice to know they're available.

The Zeiss FL 8x32's are just amazing binoculars, so capable, comfortable and easy to use. My wife and I spent a couple hours out birding on Thanksgiving Day yesterday and I am so happy to be able to quickly acquire a bird, focus and smoothly track them. I don't think I stopped grinning the whole time we were out.

Regarding the usefulness of the FL's design (Jremmons observation above confirms this desirable trait was found in other size FL's too), it makes me wonder if, in an eventual update, Zeiss will modify the 8x32's case design to be like their newer SF line with two distinct barrels (like Swarovski). That type of design would preclude their usefulness for those of us with tremors as our hands would then operate independently and, as I discussed in my original thread, we'd no longer be able to dampen the vibration with our hands working together as they now do.

Handshake/tremors is now or may become a reality to many of us as we age - you don't have to get PD for it to be an issue with handheld optics. Can't tell you how bad I'd have felt if I'd bought a pair of magnificent Swaro EL's a couple of years ago and now, because of my tremors, wouldn't be able to use them. Thankfully Zeiss has an ergonomically perfect 'alpha' in the FL 8x32...but for how much longer?

-Lopaka

I wonder if the manufacturers even consider people with tremors in their design. The open bridge design of the Swarovski EL though comfortable for a lot of people doesn't work as well for tremors.

No, I haven't tried the Canon IS - because I don't have to go there yet and can still enjoy the very best of the conventional binoculars. May have to turn to them someday though, it's nice to know they're available.

The Zeiss FL 8x32's are just amazing binoculars, so capable, comfortable and easy to use. My wife and I spent a couple hours out birding on Thanksgiving Day yesterday and I am so happy to be able to quickly acquire a bird, focus and smoothly track them. I don't think I stopped grinning the whole time we were out.

Regarding the usefulness of the FL's design (Jremmons observation above confirms this desirable trait was found in other size FL's too), it makes me wonder if, in an eventual update, Zeiss will modify the 8x32's case design to be like their newer SF line with two distinct barrels (like Swarovski). That type of design would preclude their usefulness for those of us with tremors as our hands would then operate independently and, as I discussed in my original thread, we'd no longer be able to dampen the vibration with our hands working together as they now do.

Handshake/tremors is now or may become a reality to many of us as we age - you don't have to get PD for it to be an issue with handheld optics. Can't tell you how bad I'd have felt if I'd bought a pair of magnificent Swaro EL's a couple of years ago and now, because of my tremors, wouldn't be able to use them. Thankfully Zeiss has an ergonomically perfect 'alpha' in the FL 8x32...but for how much longer?

-Lopaka

Thanks

AFAIK the FL 8x32 is discontinued. Rumour has it that there'll be a successor to the FL sometime next year, and given recent trends I believe that may well have an open bridge design.

BTW, did you ever try a Leica Ultravid? Because the Ultravids are still traditional design, so they may well work quite nicely as well. And they're pretty light as well.

Hermann

AFAIK the FL 8x32 is discontinued. Rumour has it that there'll be a successor to the FL sometime next year, and given recent trends I believe that may well have an open bridge design.

BTW, did you ever try a Leica Ultravid? Because the Ultravids are still traditional design, so they may well work quite nicely as well. And they're pretty light as well.

Hermann

Wow, that's really important news Herman - thank you.

The 8x32 Leica Ultravid Plus was very much in contention during my evaluation for my 'Alpha' purchase but, at 13.3mm, its eye-relief was not enough for my needs. Otherwise it's a super binocular. Your point is well taken, Leica will be the only conventional design left among the alpha's if Zeiss goes to the open-bridge design for its next 8x32 alpha. If Leica could just tease-out a couple of mm in eye-relief they could really dominate this class/size.

Unless or until that happens, if you've got an eye on owning a superb new Zeiss Victory FL 8x32...well, the clock is ticking.

Aloha,
-Lopaka

The 7x42 Ultravid plus is a very nice binocular with. better eye-relief and a superb nice easy view. I find it the best of the Leica Ultravid's I have the pleasure to own

I notice that you did not try the Nikon 8x32 EDG. It has a single hinge like the Zeiss and the Leica.

This past May Allbinos gave it the highest rating of all the 8x32 binoculars they have reviewed, right above the Zeiss 8x32 Victory. In the event that something might come up to change your mind about the Zeiss, which is a superb binocular, you might want look over the review of the Nikon 8x32 EDG here:

http://www.allbinos.com/281-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x32_EDG.html

At 23 ounces it is the heaviest and largest 8x32 among the Alphas and it has a very long 18.5mm eye relief.

Bob

I notice that you did not try the Nikon 8x32 EDG. It has a single hinge like the Zeiss and the Leica.

This past May Allbinos gave it the highest rating of all the 8x32 binoculars they have reviewed, right above the Zeiss 8x32 Victory. In the event that something might come up to change your mind about the Zeiss, which is a superb binocular, you might want look over the review of the Nikon 8x32 EDG here:

http://www.allbinos.com/281-binoculars_review-Nikon_8x32_EDG.html

At 23 ounces it is the heaviest and largest 8x32 among the Alphas and it has a very long 18.5mm eye relief.

Bob

Bob:

It is good you have brought up another choice, the 8x32 EDG.

They are at the top optically, and since you mention the weight,
there are some users that like some weight to their binoculars, as
it helps them hold them steadier.

Jerry

Bob:

It is good you have brought up another choice, the 8x32 EDG.

They are at the top optically, and since you mention the weight,
there are some users that like some weight to their binoculars, as
it helps them hold them steadier.

Jerry

You make a good point Jerry because as much as I like the lightweight feel of SF I also enjoy the heft of the smaller Conquest HD 8x32 which at 22.2 ozs isn't far behind the EDG.

I would think that for all of us there is a weight up to which we can hold steady and probably steadier as the weight increases, but after a certain weight we get the opposite effect of increasing shake trying to support a weight that is a bit too much.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back