• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

earliest arrivals for swallows martins etc. (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
Earliest arrivals for swallows martins etc.

Hello,
When do the Swallows and Martins show up in the uk?
As most of you know my field of expertise is birds of the south Americas, so I am a bit out of my depth on Uk birds.:king:

thanks

Steve

Today apparently!!House Martin in Suffolk.
Edit: When I lived in Sussex I 'd consider myself unlucky if I hadn't seen Swallow and House Martin by the end of March.

Last edited:
Today apparently!!House Martin in Suffolk.
Edit: When I lived in Sussex I 'd consider myself unlucky if I hadn't seen Swallow and House Martin by the end of March.
South coast perhaps, but 'up north':
Sand Martin - odd ones very end of March (if you're lucky!); bulk arrival from around 10 April
Swallow - odd ones from around 15 April (rarely earlier; bulk arrival from 20-25 April)
House Martin - odd ones from 15-20 April; bulk arrival from 25-30 April

Hello,
When do the Swallows and Martins show up in the uk?
As most of you know my field of expertise is birds of the south Americas, so I am a bit out of my depth on Uk birds.:king:

thanks

Steve
Depends how far north you are.

generally most regions except the far north would expect the first sand martins to start appearing anytime from mid march onwards, with the swallows and house martins a couple of weeks later.

The former tend to arrive en-mass. It is not unusual for one or two swallows/HM to mixed in with them ahead of the bulk arrivals so it is always worth checking them out. The early arrivals usually appear over significant bodies of water where the spring nymph hatches provide a food source spreading to other areas as temperatures increase and there are more flying insects around.

Whilst your question refers to martins/swallows, if interested the last to arrive are the common swifts which will be a month or so later, typically early/mid May.

IMHuO "first" and "last" dates are occasionally skewed by birders with megalomaniac tendencies determined to get into their local bird society annual report. Some I have seen are clearly aberrant. Single observer reports of common birds a day or two prior or post previous "first" and "last" dates.
Today's sighting seems a little odd given that yesterday was "Doris day"

Thank you all for the answers, what about cuckoos are they about the same time?
Usually, they arrive a few weeks later than the swallows (particularly Barn Swallows, who're relatively early). Though that's talking from a Central European perspective.

Cuckoos - in northeast England, usually around 5 May for numbers; the occasional early one in late April.

They are distinctly earlier (good numbers by late April) on the west coast of Scotland though.

Sand Martin at Catcott Lows in Somerset today. Given the relatively high temperatures and strong winds, I'm not greatly surprised, but it is at least 2 weeks early.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back