• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader - Lindisfarne, 1 August 2016 (1 Viewer)

Macaw16

The bird in the centre (with Redshanks to the rear) seems to have characteristics of different birds, any help will be much appreciated! I didn't notice this bird at the time, only in the photo afterwards. Taken on Lindisfarne (Holy Island) on 1/8/2016.

Attachments

• Aviary Photo_131454601307207926.png
    Aviary Photo_131454601307207926.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 192
Redshank for me - in moult, with the wing coverts shed so it shows the white secondaries that are usually hidden on standing birds. Ruff doesn't have any large white patches like that.

A very stout and slightly decurved bill for a Redshank

A

Given the quality of the image, there are only a couple of features to latch onto: the bill and that apparent white mark where the folded wing is.

A case could be made for either Ruff or Redshank, but neither with any certainty without better pictures...I'm struggling to explain away that large white mark though so would favour Redshank-perhaps the fact that the image is distant and out of focus is making the bill appear more curved?

Thanks for all the help. I don't have any better images - this is very much zoomed in on the original photo, which was taken with the poor zoom on my camera anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back