• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner Wildlife XP 10x44 (1 Viewer)

Nixterdemus

This apparently is the top o' line for Steiner though finding credible reviews is perplexing. BH is attempting to sell for two grand all the while they are offered on Steiner website for 1500 USD.

Is it, all that & a bag of chips? That is more than a Maven B2 which appears to be highly admired even if noticeably portly. As a rule the alleged 'hunting bins' are chastised for lack of fov.

I can only talk about the 8x44 version, I don‘t know the 10x model.

The Wildlife XP series replaced Steiner‘s previous Discovery series and is supposed to bring a number of improvements, including a slightly wider field of view (7.6 vs 7.4 degrees for the 8x version).

I liked the Discovery and had included it in a review of current 8x40 models some years back (sorry, in German)

http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/file.php?9,file=1162,filename=Vergleichsbericht_8x40.pdf

http://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/...name=VERGLEICHSTABELLE_Fernglasoptik_8x40.pdf

where I found it to be very good, but for a price which is rather on the high side, compared to other brands.

When later comparing the new Wildlife XP to the Discovery, I found the increased field of view hardly noticeable and the image overall slightly less bright and less sharp than in the Discovery, so for me the Wildlife XP is a step back, and I would therefore not recommend it.

For what it‘s worth.

Canip

Thank you for your insight from experience. I tend to be skeptical when more FOV is added as I wonder if it degrades the original view for the sake of better numbers. As well, as you mentioned, at that price range there are others that are outstanding.

Mild shortcomings are easily accepted if the price is right.

Thank you for your insight from experience. I tend to be skeptical when more FOV is added as I wonder if it degrades the original view for the sake of better numbers. As well, as you mentioned, at that price range there are others that are outstanding.

Mild shortcomings are easily accepted if the price is right.

For a bit more, 1800/-2000USD, Swaros 10x42 SLC (FOV 330yards) or if you don't mind 10x32mm the Leica Ultravids HD+ (FOV 351yards) are both defiantly a class above Steiner. For the price you are paying, at least get something that is going to give you the WOW factor. I felt the Steiner binos (tried the wildlife indoors at a shop) were average and I guess they tend to sell, because the huge market segments they target, German heritage (though I believe most are made in china) and Beretta association.

Last edited:
I felt they may have been overextended in claims in this day & age of advances in optics. Resting on laurels & brand recognition. Howevah, I went the same direction w/Minox HG 8.5X52 BR. It would seem to be long overdue for upgrade. I place its value around 50% of its long dated asking price. Definitely lacking in 'WOW' factor though a solid performer w/specific strengths if paying 1/3 the price of SLC.

Labour costs are forcing many to the Pacific Rim in order to remain competitive. It becomes apparent, researching a $1000+ bin, when reviews other than fanboys are few und far between. Folder at the bottom of the list here or lacking a folder is clue enough of somethin lacking. Even if that something is only a lower more realistic price.

"The Discovery binoculars were the European version of the Perigrine XP. Both of which have been replaced with an improved version known as the Wildlife XP."

I tried the previous Discovery a few years ago, the view had a distinct blue cast, but that might have been fixed in the later Wildlife XP? Otherwise the view was bright, sharp and looked quite nice. The ergo is still the same and it was not very comfy IMO (Placement and feel of the focuser mostly.) The quick lock strap was another slight annoyance. Prefer a simple universal strap lug. White printed text inside the outer objective tubes seem a bit odd to me.

Price have gone up a bit since I looked at them. 1850€ is not cheap but the price seem to vary down to 1250€. Makes me suspicious about whether they are made in Germany these days?
These ones (Night Hunter XP) tested at Allbinos (2010) are probably the version before the "Discovery".

https://www.allbinos.com/157-binoculars_review-Steiner_Night_Hunter_8x44_XP.html

Last edited:
A few new players in the market, w/lower overhead including selling direct, that are a force w/which to be reckoned. I could've bought a Tract Toric for roughly the same price as I paid for the Minox. Not in 8.5X52 though.

Night Hunter review by allbinos scores it in the mid 130's. As they did the Conquest 10X40, Conquest HD 10X42 & the Minox HG 8.5X52 BR.
Granted those scores are not set in stone, are subjective, but it is an attempt to obtain a sum from strength/weakness of various bins.

No one bin does it all/covers all/meets everyones needs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back