• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IF Porros (1 Viewer)

dries1

Just was out viewing in the back yard with two of my 8X30 porros a Zeiss Fero D16 and a Kern Aarau. Both are military design, the Kern from 1988 stamped on the top of the Hinge, the serial # on the Zeiss tells me nothing regarding the date on manufacture, I believe I purchased it in 2005 or so.
While they are IF so not suitable for birding they are quite good for grab and go glasses for general viewing of mostly stationary objects.
Both have been reviewed by Holger Merlitz, of which I have consumed almost all of his reviews so I will not go into detailed specs. He has them on his website.
I have used these while out in the field for work and can say while they are limited, IMO they are still quite good quality glass.
The Hensoldt has laser filters(loses about 10 % light transmission) and a narrow view, but the detail and sharpness are quite good when in bright daylight.
The Kern has a wide FOV and has no laser filters and provides good color rendition.
Both have reticles and I have not removed them, although I have thought about doing so.
Both are quite weather resistant since I have them out in inclement weather. both wet and cold and they performed flawlessly.

I recently procurred a Nikon EII, and can say that it was my first Porro purchased in a while. I am still being impressed by it, and so while I have also obtained some new Roofs, I really enjoy the view of the porro. The EII while not as weather resistant as the Hensoldt and the Kern, the newer coatings and the wide field of view make it my favorite 8X30 Porro. (I am searching for SE 8X32) although they seem as rare as the Kern.

In summary, for general grab and go 8X30s these two provide suitable viewing in daylight and are very well constructed to handle the elements.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have your Fero D16s older brother, a pair of Hensoldt DF in the car. It's nice glass if you don't need much eye relief and can live with IF.
It is very rugged and cheap enough to not get nicked.

Joachim

I have your Fero D16s older brother, a pair of Hensoldt DF in the car. It's nice glass if you don't need much eye relief and can live with IF.
It is very rugged and cheap enough to not get nicked.

If you have the chance to get a Fero D16 at a reasonable price in decent condition, go for it. The Fero D16 is quite clearly better IMO than the old Hensoldt, even with the laser filters.

Hermann

Hi,

well I got the DF for 50€ - the Fero is usually 250 and up. In that bracket I have some roofs which I could put in the car - CF too...

Joachim

I have two DFs 8X30 one needs collimation, I used one in Afghanistan as a field Geologist - it served me well since I do not wear glasses (DF= short eye relief). I also have the DF 10X50 great glass but heavy, color rendition is great with all the original DFs.
I paid over 500 for my Fero D16, but it was mint back in 2005. Great glass, Holger merlitz has viewed one without the laser filters (better light transmission) and if the field was greater than 7 degrees it would be up there with other porro glass today.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back