• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenses out of alignement - advice wanted (1 Viewer)

oziinn

Hi folks,

New to the forum and need some assistance please. I have a pair of Swift HR/5 binoculars and the lenses are out of alignement. I have spoken to Glasgow Binocular Repairs and they advised me to send them up and they will sort them. To get my bins re-aligned will cost £44.20 inc vat & p&p, if I decide to get them serviced and cleaned as well as fixed it's gonna cost £58.90 all in.

What to do??? Pay up and get them fixed or look for a new pair at the £100 - £150 mark. Any suggestions/ideas???

Thanks

Iain

Hello Iain,

By American standards 59 quid sounds rather reasonable. You can certainly purchase a different kind of binocular for 150 quid, but probably not one with as good a view.
Look at what is available for that price and decide if it would be an improvement. Remember after collimation and cleaning that Swift will have a much better view than now.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Hi Oziinn,
The price charged seems fair to me, so it depends on whether you were happy with these in the first place.
If not, don't throw good money after bad.

You will probably get more substantive feedback on this site rating the HR/5 as well as Glasgow Binocular Repairs.

Hi folks,

New to the forum and need some assistance please. I have a pair of Swift HR/5 binoculars and the lenses are out of alignement. I have spoken to Glasgow Binocular Repairs and they advised me to send them up and they will sort them. To get my bins re-aligned will cost £44.20 inc vat & p&p, if I decide to get them serviced and cleaned as well as fixed it's gonna cost £58.90 all in.

What to do??? Pay up and get them fixed or look for a new pair at the £100 - £150 mark. Any suggestions/ideas???

Thanks

Iain
The HR5 is a great binocular, and if in good condition worth the repair.
I have aligned by eye if your brave and willing to take a chance.
If you do decide not to repair them I need spares for a pair of mine, pm me if you want to sell them please.

Hi folks,

Thanks

Iain

Assuming the same binoculars are available for sale you are significantly money ahead by getting them repaired. You have already invested £100 - £150 in the existing binoculars. If you buy new you will have £200 - £300 invested. If you repair you will have £144 - £194 invested.

Thanks folks, appreciate the comments. I am really happy with my HR/5's so will probably get them seen to, has anybody used Glasgow Binocular Repairs?? If so, any good???

Thanks again

Iain :t:

Thanks folks, appreciate the comments. I am really happy with my HR/5's so will probably get them seen to, has anybody used Glasgow Binocular Repairs?? If so, any good???

Thanks again

Iain :t:

I have heard good things about them on various sites, I think they are a good bet.
Get an estimate first might be a good idea though.
Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back