• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Regards from Italy (1 Viewer)

binomania

Good morning to everybody! My name is Piergiovanni ,"Pier" for the friends, I live in a valley in northern Italy. I read this forum often and now I have decided to subscrive me. I hope to write with you regarding my greatest passion: binoculars. I hope that you can understand my poor English. Best Regards to all.
Piergiovanni

Good morning to everybody! My name is Piergiovanni ,"Pier" for the friends, I live in a valley in northern Italy. I read this forum often and now I have decided to subscrive me. I hope to write with you regarding my greatest passion: binoculars. I hope that you can understand my poor English. Best Regards to all.
Piergiovanni

Hello Pier.

Welcome to the forum.

Pier,

Another welcome to the forum.
Now, if it's not too much to expect, I'm sure we would all be VERY interested to read your impressions of that Docter Aspectem ED.

Regards,

John

For John, my first impression about Kowa Higlander vs Docter Aspectem

Pier,

Another welcome to the forum.
Now, if it's not too much to expect, I'm sure we would all be VERY interested to read your impressions of that Docter Aspectem ED.

Regards,

John

Hi John, of course, I should post a complete review on my website within the next two weeks. If you have seen, there are already several articles on my blog http://blog.binomania.itand a small preview here http://www.binomania.it/anteprime/untitled/docter.php.
For now, I can tell you that the comparison against the Kowa Highlander (fluoride version) was very long and difficult. Me and my collaborators have done some days of testing. These Binoculars are completely different: Kowa is a "roof prism" should be a semi-penta-roof prism + prism parallel at 45°, the Docter is a classic porro design. The Kowa has interchangeable eyepieces, the Docter not. But Docter has an incredible image based on its purchase price. here, in Italy 3200 euro vs 66000 euro. Especially the new version with the 40X eyepiece with 84 ° AFOV is really incredible! I particularly appreciate its lightness, its construction and the 2-5 ° FOV at 40X that is very similar to several 25X on the market. The new ED SHOTT glasses allow better containment of the chromatic aberration. In visual observation can be perceived only in "very critical" lighting conditions and also viewing the lunar limb, even with the version of the Docter 20-50X zoom we see only a impercetible green halo around the edge of the moon less than that observed in Kowa. During the naturalistic observation of animals over long distances, roe deer, chamois, eagles, etc, etc. I've never been bothered by chromatic aberration.. In summary I can tell you that the new version 40X has the characteristics of a great binoscope, in a small size. (Ed optic, great eyepieces, AFOV incredible, excellent contrast and resolution) It's a small binoscope :)I can connect the reflex to the eyepiece and I took some pictures of the moon, obviously the digital sensor have detected more C.A. that, in visual observatione is not so evident .This morning I will go to the lake to take some pictures with the Canon 5D Mark and Docter. There are many grebes, here.. I'll send you other my consideration during the week. Excuse me for my poor english, is very difficult for me to write everything I know in English language .. I'm verry sorry

Attachments

• docter-aspectem-kowa-higlander.jpg
    docter-aspectem-kowa-higlander.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 259
Pier,

Many thanks for that report. It was particularly interesting to see the Docter's performance set in relation to the Kowa Highlander.
BTW, do you or other members of the Binomania team experience difficulties in using a bin with 2 mm exit pupils?

John

PS:- I don't accept your apologies for your English - they are completely unnecessary :)

Pier,

Many thanks for that report. It was particularly interesting to see the Docter's performance set in relation to the Kowa Highlander.
BTW, do you or other members of the Binomania team experience difficulties in using a bin with 2 mm exit pupils?

John

PS:- I don't accept your apologies for your English - they are completely unnecessary :)

HI John, nice to write you! As you know the comfort of using small pupils on binoculars is very subjective. I also observed with telescopes for many years and I often use such small exit pupils. In any case i and my staff we had no problems to use the Docter 40X and even the people who have tested its in recent weeks. In addition, I calculated an eye relief of about 17mm, I do not use glasses, but a friend of mine has told me that he had a small problem "approach" to this pair of binoculars which resolved after few minutes of observation. The other day I went to watch the grebes and I can confirm you that this binocular , in visual observation, gives a good color, a little warm, but is not visible in most cases, the chromatic aberration This is also noticeable, to admire the feathers of a pair of swans at long distance under the sun. I think that at this price is truly unbeatable. The real problem of the 40X version is the diurnal turbulence, because,, like you know, at 40X the atmospheric turbulence is amplified respect a classic 20-25X .For this reason, some people preferred the version (20-50X) that allowed them to lowers the magnification when they need. In any case, the high contrast of this instrument and its sharpness provide a great satisfaction and I love the great unbeatable AFOV of 84 ° which provide a total immersion in nature. Obviosly during my daily observation in the middle of the wood,I always carry with me Swarovision 8.5x42 (which I am now comparing vs the 8x42 SLC HD), but with the Docter at 40X you can see details invisible to the "small binoculars" The other day I recognized , at tens of meters, the type of fish that a grebe had caught, which is impossible with an 8-15X,obviously is not a portable binocular, but as you've seen on my blog, we have adapted a backpack to carry on the mountaiign, and a trained person can walk on trails for a couple of hours.
Before to use the Docter , for my long-distance, observation I could use only a spottingscopes, if I wanted to watch with two eyes i had to opt for an astronomical telescope with prism and binoviewer. But the weight was excessive and was not waterproof and a economic setup have not this type of eyepieces with 84° AFOV, so much sharpness, etc,etc.. The Docter costs such as the Leica Apo Televid but if you do not have transport problems, I prefer to look with both eyes.
Best Regards from Italy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back