• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (10 Viewers)

Hi

Just wondering if anyone coming across any big TS flocks in this weather?

My own take on this judging from the emails I get at treesparrows.com is that birds are much more reliant on garden feeders now and consequently the population is fragmented and large flocks rarely happen, despite there being some attempt by conservation /farming bodies to provide unharvested crops etc. This also leads to small garden colonies where they take up nestboxes. All very good for the birds of course.

Any feedback would be of interest, and any sightings here

We have a resident flock of around 40/50 Trees Sparrows , they breed well around the farm buildings too and in the nest boxs

Of all the garden sightings you get thanks to your location, Andy, that is the one that I'm most jealous of. Amazing!

Graham

It sure is amazing Graham, this prolonged wintery weather sure has brough them all out, ive never seen Woodcock feeding till the other day in our garden, and to see 7/8 feeding at the same time was brill to see indeed :t:

Thanks Graeme,
I saw them at the new medical centre which is just off the new bypass and is next to the canal. I parked in the main car park of the medical centre and the waxwings were in the trees just in front of the canal. Flock of about 25 or so. Don't worry if they're not there - they seem to come and go and then come back again. I was there about 9am.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck.
Tom

Hi

My own take on this judging from the emails I get at treesparrows.com is that birds are much more reliant on garden feeders now and consequently the population is fragmented and large flocks rarely happen, despite there being some attempt by conservation /farming bodies to provide unharvested crops etc. This also leads to small garden colonies where they take up nestboxes. All very good for the birds of course.

Very interesting Scodger, I have had Tree Sparrow in my garden today - first time i've seen them actually in the garden, other records have been of birds overflying the garden. I've only been here 3 weeks so don't know whether this is usual or not at this stage.

Cheers Andy

Had 2 young buck Roe Deer through the garden too about an hour ago, and there are at least 7 Woodcock feeding now
RoeDeer004.jpg

Some very impressive garden ticks Andy! Nice pics!Lets hope they all survive!

Last edited:
Scenic Photographs

I'm interested to know of any interesting scenic shots at the moment given the weather conditions - I hear the rivers at Kanersborough and Bolton Abbey have been frozen.

Please shout up if you've seen any photogenic landscapes.

Thanks.

Just out of interest has anyone been to Golden Acre Park recently? Years ago when I was a kid I walked the full length of a frozen lake, that was full of people skating etc. - loads of people were out on the ice - like something from the Lincs. fens.

Given these record temperatures I just wondered if it was completely frozen again.

I'm interested to know of any interesting scenic shots at the moment given the weather conditions - I hear the rivers at Kanersborough and Bolton Abbey have been frozen.

Thanks.

Just out of interest has anyone been to Golden Acre Park recently? Years ago when I was a kid I walked the full length of a frozen lake, that was full of people skating etc. - loads of people were out on the ice - like something from the Lincs. fens.

Given these record temperatures I just wondered if it was completely frozen again.

The little boy inside u still alive then? Good to know..but no idea about the location!;)

No I wouldn't go on it these days, even if others were. On this occasion there were plenty on it when I arrived. Some were properly skating, my Dad even cycled across it! I do have a photo somewhere of me stood in the middle of the lake.

Just curious.

Edit - just been told that the river in Wetherby is frozen so will take some shots in the morning.

Last edited:
Frozen river

No I wouldn't go on it these days, even if others were. On this occasion there were plenty on it when I arrived. Some were properly skating, my Dad even cycled across it! I do have a photo somewhere of me stood in the middle of the lake.

Just curious.

Edit - just been told that the river in Wetherby is frozen so will take some shots in the morning.

Yes, we were walking around Wetherby on Monday and finished off walking in from Linton and over the footbridge, it was really strange to see the river frozen from about 200m above the bridge to almost where the Old Mill dance hall used to be. It didn't look solid though......! There was a pair (m/f) of Goosanders diving for food below the weir, they looked really splendid.............. Above the weir at Boston Spa was also frozen.

Last edited:
Also

I forgot, we also had 2 Com Buzzards being harrassed by several Corvids just off the golf course near to the river, nice coloured plumage in the afternoon sunlight.....:t:
Joe

Thanks.

Hi Steve, i drove through Selby this pm and there was icebergs floating down the river! Was quite an interesting natural sight amongst all the dereliction that is Selby!

Rivers looked frozen in York this pm too.

Andy

Thanks.

try this-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/

Dave

Hi

None in our garden, but there's a healthy population in the Sun Lane Nature Reserve in Burley in Wharfedale. The volunteers who run it have put feeders up near the reserve entrance, and the flock come to these. Talking to the chair of volunteers the other week they're hopeful they'll breed in the nest boxes next spring.

Richard

After keeping my fingers crossed and my eyes peeled, I finally have waxwings as a gardent tick! Well - they are a little way along the road eating some apples off of a neighbours tree but I can see them from my window so that is good enough for me! Given the amount of fruit that is still on the tree in question, I am hoping that they might linger for a while...

As for tree sparrows, there seemed to be a good number of them round the feeders at Fairburn when I was there on Tuesday. They seem to be resident there all year round.

Thanks Graeme,
I saw them at the new medical centre which is just off the new bypass and is next to the canal. I parked in the main car park of the medical centre and the waxwings were in the trees just in front of the canal. Flock of about 25 or so. Don't worry if they're not there - they seem to come and go and then come back again. I was there about 9am.
Hope this helps.
Best of luck.
Tom

Thanks for the directions Tom. Unfortunately we had to go Xmas shopping in Leeds so didn't get to Bingley.

Nice low flying Kite from the train near Burley though and a small flock of fieldfares when we got home, so that was a nice compensation for missing out on the waxwings.

I will try again tomorrow.

Graeme

Good walk around Calder wetlands (the frost covers the dog bombs) this morning. Male Merganser on the river along with 12 female Goosanders and 1 male, a good raft of Widgeon c100 and several Golden eye. Then to finish off, there's an apple tree on the edge of the "soap" stack where around 20 Waxwing were feeding. Cheers Joe

Attachments

• Winterset.jpg
    Winterset.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Back